Alleged BIG 12 Network

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I've got Dish with the sports pack and have been able to watch every game....the Big XII network games have usually been on Altitude channel (out of Denver).

You can probably reduce your package on Dish, add the sports pack and you'll be good.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Honestly, if you still are having trouble viewing ISU basketball/football games, you need to get out of your 1990 mentality. Everyone in the Country has the ability to view every single ISU basketball game, it just may take a tad bit more money/energy to do it depending on where you are located.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Wasn't it last year KCRG televised the other Big 12 game instead of the ISU game one Saturday? You can tell a hok fan was trying to troll ISU fans by doing that. I think they switched it by halftime but they claimed there was "an engineering issue" or something like that. Right...

KFXA, the Fox affiliate, is the Big 12 station in Cedar Rapids. They get mild props for carrying what they carry, but you can tell they aren't committed to it.

They only show the Saturday games ... in past years, when there were weeknight ISU games on the Big 12 network, you were out of luck in eastern Iowa. (Actually, you still are, but I think there's only one weeknight game this year that's not on an ESPN.)

I've been complaining to them via e-mail for the past couple of years, and only last week got my first-ever response from them. All they could confirm, though, is that they will NOT carry any of the Big 12 tournament games, so eastern Iowa gets hosed out of those yet again.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Honestly, if you still are having trouble viewing ISU basketball/football games, you need to get out of your 1990 mentality. Everyone in the Country has the ability to view every single ISU basketball game, it just may take a tad bit more money/energy to do it depending on where you are located.

Sigh ... not everybody has the internet speed to get a decent stream of live TV, even if you are willing to go to firstrowsports in the first place. Also, not everybody wants to sit in front of their computer to watch it.

(Yes, I know, "HDMI cable" and "upgrade your internet" ... blah blah blah.)

I am ticked that I live in a city that has a Big 12 Network affiliate, but they simply refuse to carry all the Big 12 Network games. I don't think that's a "me" problem.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sigh ... not everybody has the internet speed to get a decent stream of live TV, even if you are willing to go to firstrowsports in the first place. Also, not everybody wants to sit in front of their computer to watch it.

I am ticked that I live in a city that has a Big 12 Network affiliate, but they simply refuse to carry all the Big 12 Network games. I don't think that's a "me" problem.

Omaha Ch 11 on Cox only shows Saturday games and maybe not then.

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA

It was well before 1990 that you could watch some games on local over-the-air channels. It was that local exposure that helped Johnny get people out to games. I'm a little sick to my stomach that everyone is now complaining that everything ISU does is not on ESPN. I can't afford tickets for my family anymore. I certainly can't afford cable TV. That leaves this life long ISU fan with no option for seeing his team play.

I see older Cyclone fans wondering why there are so many fair-weather/negative fans. This is it. They'll never lose me as a fan - but's hard for me to get super excited when I can only see five games a year. I usually splurge for tickets to one home game, but if everything on TV will be controlled by ESPN next year, that's it for me. All I have are box scores and internet highlights. And that is pretty sad living only 10 Miles from Ames. I'd gladly take 1990.

A "tad bit" more money to watch on TV is naive.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Update to Direct TV, and get the Sports Pack. BOOM!

It was well before 1990 that you could watch some games on local over-the-air channels. It was that local exposure that helped Johnny get people out to games. I'm a little sick to my stomach that everyone is now complaining that everything ISU does is not on ESPN. I can't afford tickets for my family anymore. I certainly can't afford cable TV. That leaves this life long ISU fan with no option for seeing his team play.

I see older Cyclone fans wondering why there are so many fair-weather/negative fans. This is it. They'll never lose me as a fan - but's hard for me to get super excited when I can only see five games a year. I usually splurge for tickets to one home game, but if everything on TV will be controlled by ESPN next year, that's it for me. All I have are box scores and internet highlights. And that is pretty sad living only 10 Miles from Ames. I'd gladly take 1990.

Times have changed. I certainly am no where near wealthy, and I have no problem affording cable TV. Never the less, any local bar in Iowa will prob air the game and would welcome you as a patron.

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
Update to Direct TV, and get the Sports Pack. BOOM!

Times have changed. I certainly am no where near wealthy, and I have no problem affording cable TV. Never the less, any local bar in Iowa will prob air the game and would welcome you as a patron.

For the worst it appears. That's a problem as far as local fan base goes.

I'm no where near poor, but I am a value-recognizer. And cable TV, unless you are paralyzed with only eyesight and the brain function of a 4 year old, is a terrible value.

When you would only turn your cable box on for 20-30 ISU games a year, at $50-$70 a month... It's ridiculous.

By they way - I'm not sure a bar would welcome us for an entire game (an appetizer of chicken fingers is all we need, 3 crazy kids, and a newborn that screams at the top of her lungs).

To me, flipping on your local channel (as it has always been) is great when you just want to see your team play.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I'm no where near poor, but I am a value-recognizer. And cable TV, unless you are paralyzed with only eyesight and the brain function of a 4 year old, is a terrible value.

When you would only turn your cable box on for 20-30 ISU games a year, at $50-$70 a month... It's ridiculous.

By they way - I'm not sure a bar would welcome us for an entire game (an appetizer of chicken fingers is all we need, 3 crazy kids, and a newborn that screams at the top of her lungs).

To me, flipping on your local channel (as it has always been) is great when you just want to see your team play.

This is a "you" problem, and not an ISU problem. The evolution of college athletics surpassed your line of thinking over a decade ago.

isudoc03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2006
We can't enjoy the benefits of all the new tv money but then ***** about not getting games on local tv like we did in the '90s. If you can't afford cable/satellite to watch the games, then yes that does suck but that is today's environment for college sports. I can't afford everything I want either.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Those days are history.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
We can't enjoy the benefits of all the new tv money but then ***** about not getting games on local tv like we did in the '90s. If you can't afford cable/satellite to watch the games, then yes that does suck but that is today's environment for college sports. I can't afford everything I want either.

much of the TV money ESPN gets comes from households that don't watch their programming. I know I probably work with a bunch of outliers (100 people), but over ~40% choose not to buy cable when they can easily afford it. This up from maybe 25% just a few years ago. Internet access and smart phones are a different story, must haves. The current college sports business model isn't sustainable.

Not a WWE fan, but I find this interesting and a likely future.

WWE is cutting the cord to launch its network - latimes.com

itslow

Jan 29, 2010
...I certainly can't afford cable TV. That leaves this life long ISU fan with no option for seeing his team play.

I bet there's a bar in Roland that shows each game that's televised. If not, then being across I-35 from Story City (and 10 miles from Ames) you could certainly make the short trip to a bar or restaurant in one of those two town that will.

I don't have cable, so I go to the local Legends for each game.

Does it annoy me that most of the games are on a ESPN network, and not available on ABC like they used to be "back in the day"? Yeah, but given the $$$ that these TV deals bring to the conference and university, I can deal with it and find alternative viewing locations.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

I'm curious... what do you give back to ISU?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This is a "you" problem, and not an ISU problem. The evolution of college athletics surpassed your line of thinking over a decade ago.
ISU could never afford to chase the type of "fan" that values ISU MBB so little that they have deemed it too difficult and too much an inconvenience to watch ISU athletics while living 15 miles away. The only thing that has changed is that there are no longer free rides.

If you are able to post on CF, you have the means to watch the game in Roland, IA. Hell, go the library (where I assume he is posting from), talk to the local bar, etc. In the end, if you cannot come up with the very little cash per month it takes to watch most of the games in Roland, you should not be reading CF but rather reading how to budget.

mclatch

Jan 24, 2008
Roland IA
ISU could never afford to chase the type of "fan" that values ISU MBB so little that they have deemed it too difficult and too much an inconvenience to watch ISU athletics while living 15 miles away. The only thing that has changed is that there are no longer free rides.

If you are able to post on CF, you have the means to watch the game in Roland, IA. Hell, go the library (where I assume he is posting from), talk to the local bar, etc. In the end, if you cannot come up with the very little cash per month it takes to watch most of the games in Roland, you should not be reading CF but rather reading how to budget.

It doesn't not take "very little cash" to have cable TV. Put that money into a 401K, son, and you can sit with the old people that leave early before you turn old and wrinkled. Cable is seen as a necessity by many, but it's value has dropped.

I know that is the way the wind is blowing, but if you only knew the type of Cyclone fan I am - you'd be ashamed.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Fair enough. Question... did you try and get a $149 ticket? It averages out to less than 6 bucks a game and surely if you couldn't make it someone would give you 7 bucks for the ticket (I am making you money).

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
It doesn't not take "very little cash" to have cable TV. Put that money into a 401K, son, and you can sit with the old people that leave early before you turn old and wrinkled. Cable is seen as a necessity by many, but it's value has dropped.

I know that is the way the wind is blowing, but if you only knew the type of Cyclone fan I am - you'd be ashamed.

People aren't entitled to free or even low-cost entertainment. You plainly don't value the ability to watch ISU athletics enough to purchase a ticket or the necessary cable packages, which is fine, but it's a far cry from the atrocity you're alleging it to be.

Help Support Us

Become a patron