AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Matt Thomas would be the closest thing we’ve had to AJ Green recently but AJ Green is a much more dynamic scorer than Matt was/is. AJ can get his own shot anytime he wants due to his high release point on his jump shot. He also works a lot more off the dribble than Matt did.

Edit: I actually think Shayok is a good comparison for Green

Green probably dribbles more in a game than Thomas did in entire seasons. I don't think he's that close to any of Naz, Matt, or Brockington. He's extremely ball dominant. Lots of dribbling into step back jumpers. Makes a lot of tough shots, but also has to take a lot of tough shots. Would be interested to see what he looks like playing off the ball a lot more. Really good mid range game and at drawing fouls on pull ups, great free throw shooter. Not a great defender, but also been asked to play 36-38 mins a game his entire career while being the number one offensive option, so should be able to exert more effort on that end in a smaller role.

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Multiple people have screwed up at UNC. I would have said the same thing back in the day. We'll see.
Yeah I agree. You really never know and I wouldn’t be surprised if Duke slipped a bit.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Mike Brey's done pretty well.
Didn’t even think of him. And it didn’t occur to me last night that there might be a Coaching Tree section on Wikipedia (of course there is). Brey and Amaker are probably the two most successful, but the previous golden boy replacements (Capel, Wojo) have had some struggles.
Scheyer may do a great job, but he’s a first time head coach, he’s only coached under K, and he’s the man following The Man - lot of red flags.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Green probably dribbles more in a game than Thomas did in entire seasons. I don't think he's that close to any of Naz, Matt, or Brockington. He's extremely ball dominant. Lots of dribbling into step back jumpers. Makes a lot of tough shots, but also has to take a lot of tough shots. Would be interested to see what he looks like playing off the ball a lot more. Really good mid range game and at drawing fouls on pull ups, great free throw shooter. Not a great defender, but also been asked to play 36-38 mins a game his entire career while being the number one offensive option, so should be able to exert more effort on that end in a smaller role.
I agree he’s not a “great” defender, but I will add he has been tasked with guarding the typically defined 1-4 positions almost his entire career, so while he might not be great, there is some versatility on that end. He is pretty long for a guard.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Didn’t even think of him. And it didn’t occur to me last night that there might be a Coaching Tree section on Wikipedia (of course there is). Brey and Amaker are probably the two most successful, but the previous golden boy replacements (Capel, Wojo) have had some struggles.
Scheyer may do a great job, but he’s a first time head coach, he’s only coached under K, and he’s the man following The Man - lot of red flags.

I'd agree Snyder is the best coach to come out of his tree, I'd say he's in the upper half of NBA coaches.

On the college level, I'd probably go Brey, Amaker, Dawkins or Collins, Woj, Capel.

Edit: Also just looked at Wikipedia - completely forgot Capel coached at OU, so I'd move him up ahead of Woj. They also have Bobby Hurley under Coach K's tree, I don't think I would count him, I feel like you have to coach under someone not just play for them to count. Hurley comes from a coaching family.

Reactions: NENick

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I agree he’s not a “great” defender, but I will add he has been tasked with guarding the typically defined 1-4 positions almost his entire career, so while he might not be great, there is some versatility on that end. He is pretty long for a guard.

Should be able to integrate in to our system easily. That’s a good thing about our defense, it’s a system, not based solely on individual brilliance. Will be interesting to see how our TO stats turn out next year. Even with losing TH’s TO creation we might make up for a little bit with better ball security.

Reactions: enisthemenace

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'd agree Snyder is the best coach to come out of his tree, I'd say he's in the upper half of NBA coaches.

On the college level, I'd probably go Brey, Amaker, Dawkins or Collins, Woj, Capel.

Edit: Also just looked at Wikipedia - completely forgot Capel coached at OU, so I'd move him up ahead of Woj. They also have Bobby Hurley under Coach K's tree, I don't think I would count him, I feel like you have to coach under someone not just play for them to count. Hurley comes from a coaching family.
Yeah…Hurley doesn’t count. Go out there and update Wiki, @CyJack13. At least put an asterisk out there :)

Reactions: Bardman

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Multiple people have screwed up at UNC. I would have said the same thing back in the day. We'll see.
That always cracked me up when Fred left and people thought he had built such a program that it would just keep on rolling. It took like 2-3 years after Dean Smith left, and pretty much as soon as Guthridge retired for UNC to turn into a complete disaster. If Scheyer is a good coach, Duke will be good. If Scheyer isn't a good coach, Duke won't be good. It's as simple as that.

• Agree
Reactions: Bardman and Cloneon