A storm is brewing for Iowa State football (SI article)

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
What a difference a year makes. This time a year ago, at least a plurality (if not a slight majority) of people in the fanbase were saying we couldn't do any better than what we had. Nobody would come here. Now we're wondering what the ceiling is. It's really easy to get stuck in a mindset. Kudos to JP and Leath for trying something new.

The reality is that the playing field has never been more level for a place like ISU. Good TV money and exposure, social media, etc. have changed the game. Still need to see results on the field, but so far it's pretty exciting. In 3-5 years, I want other people trying to steal this staff away. That means we've gotten better.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Looking like everything worked out for the best and maybe we'll be lucky enough to have MC turn out to be the football version of the Hoiberg hire. Lofty comparison I know but why not just jump on the hype train at full speed and start chugging the red and yellow kool aid!?!?!?!

Bear in mind Hoiberg's first season was't exactly stellar. I hope all you excited posters don't turn around and crucify Campbell for dropping a few games next fall. I'm optimistic too, but let's wait to see how the enthusiasm translates to the field. It may take a little while...

That being said, Paul won a bowl game in his first season- so why not Campbell?? F- it. Pass the Kool-Aid! OH YEAH!

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
Bear in mind Hoiberg's first season was't exactly stellar. I hope all you excited posters don't turn around and crucify Campbell for dropping a few games next fall. I'm optimistic too, but let's wait to see how the enthusiasm translates to the field. It may take a little while...

That being said, Paul won a bowl game in his first season- so why not Campbell?? F- it. Pass the Kool-Aid! OH YEAH!

There is a lot of Kool-Aid going around this thread right now. With that said, I've been sipping on some for about 3 weeks now and fully expect all of CycloneNation to have a red stained mustaches by the time fall roles around! #CherryKoolAidisBrewing

cytown

Aug 8, 2012
Naperville, IL
#53 in Nation and #8 in Big 12. Not too bad for a makeshift class. He's only been on the job for a matter of weeks. If we can haul in Allen, we will be in the top 45. Would be our best class since some of Danny Mac's.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
MC has a great opportunity to start out well also. We were a run the wrong way on Toledo and a knell at KSU from 5-7. Not hard things to execute when yardage isn't so important or having to make sure work just right. Simple adjustments. That right there and having another year to develop we should have a bowl with no trouble.

Except we have no O-line at the moment.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Good read! I am not one who typically follows recruiting for football and even I have noticed the efforts and results this year without a lot of work on my part. Simply by that alone, I can tell things are not the same old off-season goings-on. I already had my season ticket order placed, but I'm actually kind of excited for the games in the fall. It just all feels different to me right now (in a good way). I don't know how else to describe it. Hopefully, that's accurate and we see the results on the field in a half year.

No need to explain, I think most of us have the same feeling

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
From the article:

Says a lot.
My main takeaway as well. He has already proven in 2 months he can recruit better than at least the last 4 head coaches, now if he can translate that success to the field, we are golden.

Clone2Dbone

Dec 10, 2015
I'm starting to get annoyed by all this hype surrounding ISU football. How the hell am I supposed to endure until September, when the storm hits in all it's fury? Seriously, I can't remember when I've ever been this excited about our football program.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Anyone know how much (all?) of his marketing techniques are his/his staff vs others working under Pollard? You'd like to think Pollard's staff is learning a lot from MC that is being passed around to other sports.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Great read. Pretty excited to see what Coach Campbell and this staff can accomplish. Seeing his efforts in recruiting and with the comments on how he could be putting together one of the best recruiting classes in ISU history is almost infuriating with looking at the previous staffs saying how difficult it was to get these recruits and really makes you wonder how much effort was actually being put in. Sure ISU is probably a tougher pitch than other schools may be but clearly the efforts that Matt and the staff are putting in are paying dividends so far. Hope it translates to the performance on the field.

Focused athletes who are used to winning want to be around hard working coaches who are winners. This has nothing to do with wins....it's all about attitude. Being a young staff doesn't hurt either.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My main takeaway as well. He has already proven in 2 months he can recruit better than at least the last 4 head coaches, now if he can translate that success to the field, we are golden.

A lot of it is pretty simple and expected vs the last staff. At a place like ISU you have to have every coach busting it on the recruiting trail. I'm going out on a limb and saying Mangino and Wally, the two top assistants were not exactly recruiting road dogs.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
A lot of it is pretty simple and expected vs the last staff. At a place like ISU you have to have every coach busting it on the recruiting trail. I'm going out on a limb and saying Mangino and Wally, the two top assistants were not exactly recruiting road dogs.

And the attitude of the Head Coach ...calculating airport distances etc didn't help either.