49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
The interception was more on Williams than Stafford. But I’m glad it happened anyway

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Brock’s missed on 3 long throws, 2 of would have been td’s on third downs. Still would say he’s having a solid but not great game.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Brock’s missed on 3 long throws, 2 of would have been td’s on third downs. Still would say he’s having a solid but not great game.
What you see with Brock is what you get...a solid, confident QB that doesn't make critical mistakes. Will he throw that 40-50 yd pass with complete accuracy...nope. But will he workmanlike push the team down the field using all of the teams offensive tools...yes. And, if the long pass is his only issue...I suspect the niners will gladly accept it.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Seems like Brock had been starting super hot then falling off a bit as the game goes on. I'm guessing he's still building strength back in that arm.
I'd read that too. I'd have to really dig for the article but basically it said that post surgery even though he was recovered his arm strength at the start of camp was only at about 80% of what it was at the start of camp last year. It also said something along the lines of by the time he injured it last year his arm strength was 120% of where he started camp. So to me Brock missing on the long throws doesn't really surprise me right now lets see what he looks like in November.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'd read that too. I'd have to really dig for the article but basically it said that post surgery even though he was recovered his arm strength at the start of camp was only at about 80% of what it was at the start of camp last year. It also said something along the lines of by the time he injured it last year his arm strength was 120% of where he started camp. So to me Brock missing on the long throws doesn't really surprise me right now lets see what he looks like in November.
Yeah, it looks like on some of those long throws he is having to really heave it. shorter throws though he still look amazing.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I had some national broadcast on yesterday and some guy decided to go in on Brock. He basically said everyone's making him out to be some generational talent (who the hell has ever said that?) and went through a list of 5-6 guys that'd make the 49ers better (Cousins, Lawrence, Tua and a few more I can't remember). It's astonishing that someone who covers football can be that idiotic. Brock could be the most valuable player in football simply because he's competent at a very important position and makes $900,000 a year, whereas everyone else on that list makes 10+ million. The financial flexibility that provides a team is so incredibly valuable.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I had some national broadcast on yesterday and some guy decided to go in on Brock. He basically said everyone's making him out to be some generational talent (who the hell has ever said that?) and went through a list of 5-6 guys that'd make the 49ers better (Cousins, Lawrence, Tua and a few more I can't remember). It's astonishing that someone who covers football can be that idiotic. Brock could be the most valuable player in football simply because he's competent at a very important position and makes $900,000 a year, whereas everyone else on that list makes 10+ million. The financial flexibility that provides a team is so incredibly valuable.
I guess that guy missed Tua underthrowing Tyreek Hill badly when he torched the Patriots defense yesterday and got intercepted. I get that it's a little frustrating that Brock overthrew those deep balls yesterday, but he missed long and at least he identified the open recievers and attempted to get them the ball. Overthrowing recievers on deep routes is a lot more correctable than having a player who can't read a defense or overall makes bad decisions. If Brock hits even one of those plays he is being talked about as possibly having the best day of any QB. He still orchestrated the 2 minute drive which was probably the most important offensive possession in the game for them.

Reactions: SCarolinaCy

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I guess that guy missed Tua underthrowing Tyreek Hill badly when he torched the Patriots defense yesterday and got intercepted. I get that it's a little frustrating that Brock overthrew those deep balls yesterday, but he missed long and at least he identified the open recievers and attempted to get them the ball. Overthrowing recievers on deep routes is a lot more correctable than having a player who can't read a defense or overall makes bad decisions. If Brock hits even one of those plays he is being talked about as possibly having the best day of any QB. He still orchestrated the 2 minute drive which was probably the most important offensive possession in the game for them.
Tua is not better than Brock in any facet of the game, period.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Assuming he continues to play solid the rest of the year, would 49ers rework his contract to provide him a little more up front money? Any way to reward him for clearly outplaying his contract?

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
Assuming he continues to play solid the rest of the year, would 49ers rework his contract to provide him a little more up front money? Any way to reward him for clearly outplaying his contract?
They can't do anything with his rookie contract until after the 3rd year. That's in the CBA for drafted rookie contracts.

Similarly, he can't request any extensions until after the 3rd year.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The 49ers have to be ecstatic that Brock has played so well and appears to their guy now for the foreseeable future. The money they are saving on him has been spent on the Trey Lance blunder.

I think they've had to pay Lance close to 10 mil/year the first 2 years, plus a portion of the guaranteed money he signed for.
"San Francisco ultimately ended up paying Lance $27.85 million of that deal, with Dallas now on the hook for the remaining guarantees that remain over the next two seasons."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron