49ers - Brock Purdy - Still and Always #1

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Let’s pump the brakes here. Brock was great in Ames but I still say best case scenario is he has a Sage Rosenfels type of career when he sticks around for a decade as a backup and has a spot start here and there. It’d be cool to see him become a starter someday but I’m not convinced it’s in the cards for the kid.

Sage started games in the NFL. He's not predicting Brock will be a 10 year starter. He is predicting that Brock will start A game.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Brock doesn’t look like the same QB. 49ers fixed his mechanics and taught him to throw off his front foot instead of his back foot, and the arm strength looks great. His throws at ISU over 15 yards looked super weak armed. His throws in the pre season have had some zip. He’s looked really good. His back foot throwing was always infuriating and the staff at ISU never corrected it. He definitely has looked like an NFL quarterback this pre season. He’ll play this year at some point, whether it be injuries or a blowout, but he’ll play in a game or two.

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
Brock doesn’t look like the same QB. 49ers fixed his mechanics and taught him to throw off his front foot instead of his back foot, and the arm strength looks great. His throws at ISU over 15 yards looked super weak armed. His throws in the pre season have had some zip. He’s looked really good. His back foot throwing was always infuriating and the staff at ISU never corrected it. He definitely has looked like an NFL quarterback this pre season. He’ll play this year at some point, whether it be injuries or a blowout, but he’ll play in a game or two.
It helps when you have a shanahan and Griese coaching you!

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The only remaining issue is that he could still be cut in the next few days. The 49ers have Ward on the injured exception rule list, and in order to put him on IR they will need to release someone else on their current 53 man roster.

Possible but unlikely since they just let go Sudfeld who they gave $2 million in guaranteed dollars. Don’t think they make this decision if Brock isn’t on the opening day roster.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I love Brock, but to say his arm strength looks “great” might be a little hyperbole.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Let’s pump the brakes here. Brock was great in Ames but I still say best case scenario is he has a Sage Rosenfels type of career when he sticks around for a decade as a backup and has a spot start here and there. It’d be cool to see him become a starter someday but I’m not convinced it’s in the cards for the kid.
I really hope he ends up on a team with a great defense, running game, TE, and QB coach. I don’t know much about the 49ers, and they are just a few years removed from the Super Bowl. I know they have a good offensive staff and TE for sure. And DeBo.

Reactions: mramseyISU

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Some people just can’t accept it.

• Winner
Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I really hope he ends up on a team with a great defense, running game, TE, and QB coach. I don’t know much about the 49ers, and they are just a few years removed from the Super Bowl. I know they have a good offensive staff and TE for sure. And DeBo.
DeeBo>Jay Bowe

• Haha
Reactions: cyence

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I follow some 49ers media on Twitter and saw yesterday that Brock was very good yesterday which included a deep TD to Brandon Aiyuk. And Lance was horrible yesterday which makes things interesting. Definitely don't think Brock will start but I wouldn't be the least surprised if Lance got benched at some point and we see our guy get a legitimate chance.
Would just like to say I got a lot of laughs and optimistic reactions on this a while ago in this thread.. Haha obviously not saying he’s taking Lance’s spot but I still wouldn’t say there’s no chance he gets a legitimate shot this year.

Awesome for Brock. He deserves this chance.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Jimmy G is really hard to evaluate because he's only been pretty much ideal situations for a QB. I would think he's better suited to win now than Lance, but I'd trust Shanahan on that. I just don't think Jimmy G is very good, and if he swapped situations with most QBs he'd fail. I'd be shocked if he went somewhere and proved the 9ers wrong. It's hard to imagine a better situation for a QB, particularly one that isn't mobile or the type of guy that can carry a team.
Maybe. He also went to the super bowl with a third string running back and went to the nfc championship last season with like a 6th string running back and a wide receiver splitting time in the backfield.