Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
no i get that

i just don't understand why.

just do two checks!

“Hey I’m going to the bar to grab a beer you guys want one? You can just Venmo me the 5 bucks”

My friend group would just rotate that expenditure but I’ve been in situations where that happened

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I have always found the charade over who is going to pay to be very annoying. I wouldn't mind splitting the bill evenly, but I'm the type that will feel bad if I come out even a little bit ahead on the bill. I like to order what I want to order without feeling guilty, so I prefer to just keep it simple and do separate checks rather than perpetuate a never ending game of passive aggressive social chess.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We always split, but that's a product of being from the midwest (and maybe specifically Iowa). It's just easier to take care of what is your responsibility. I don't want to have to worry about it "evening out" later, especially if you're out with people where you'd normally not be out in a dining situation. Just make it right at the start and it's never an issue. We learned the hard way in DC that most places won't split and the locals don't even know it's a 'thing.'

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
“Hey I’m going to the bar to grab a beer you guys want one? You can just Venmo me the 5 bucks”

My friend group would just rotate that expenditure but I’ve been in situations where that happened

i spose so.. but if im going to offer a beer i usually just will buy it for them or if they have a tab you just put it on there tab

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I can't help but shake my head at all these replies about "splitting the check is a faux pas, you need to have one big check with a huge tip and a complex set of unwritten rules for who will pay when" when you could easily split the bill, pay the staff a living wage and eliminate tips, and not have to worry about keeping track of who paid last. If you want to be nice and pick up someone else's tab that's fine, but don't expect them to pick up yours next time.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I can't help but shake my head at all these replies about "splitting the check is a faux pas, you need to have one big check with a huge tip and a complex set of unwritten rules for who will pay when" when you could easily split the bill, pay the staff a living wage and eliminate tips, and not have to worry about keeping track of who paid last. If you want to be nice and pick up someone else's tab that's fine, but don't expect them to pick up yours next time.

We just kind of look at it from the perspective that we are adults who can perform simple math and take care of it amongst ourselves. We don't need a server to print out multiple tickets and run multiple cards.

I understand why people do it and want to do it, but it just isn't for us.

• Haha
Reactions: I@ST1 and IASTATE07

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm on team multiple checks, but I also make a point to tip more in those settings because it's undoubtedly more to keep track of by the wait staff.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So this actually lends itself to a conversation I was having with my wife that is slightly off topic.

If someone buys in front of you in line at a drive through, do you buy the person's behind you? Had this come up the other day where someone did and I felt obligated to do the same for the person behind me, which wound up being more than what I had ordered. I felt I had gone my good deed for the day, but feeling obligated to do it for the next person kind of takes away the intended effect of brightening up the day of the person you paid for.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm on team multiple checks, but I also make a point to tip more in those settings because it's undoubtedly more to keep track of by the wait staff.
Yeah I probably tip more than average too.
I look at the total bill, divide by 5, and that's my standard for "normal" service. I divide by 4 in probably half of our dining out.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Last time I was out with my family I planned on just waving the waitress over when she brought the check. Then my brother went to the "bathroom" and intercepted the check.
When going out with some of the guys at work I always ended up throwing more in because they would barely leave anything for the tip.
8.99? $10 or $11 should cover it. I would see that and tie my shoe before leaving and then just flip an extra $5 onto the table as they walked away.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I used to do split checks when I was younger. Now we just have someone pay then pay our share through Venmo.
Not all of us old folks have Venmo but... do you split evenly or keep track of what you have? I would feel bad splitting evenly because most of my friends would be perfectly happy sharing a pitcher of Busch Light while I'm drinking $6/pints of Des Moines IPA and my wife's having $8 margaritas.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Last time I was out with my family I planned on just waving the waitress over when she brought the check. Then my brother went to the "bathroom" and intercepted the check.
When going out with some of the guys at work I always ended up throwing more in because they would barely leave anything for the tip.
8.99? $10 or $11 should cover it. I would see that and tie my shoe before leaving and then just flip an extra $5 onto the table as they walked away.
I think a family dinner is completely different.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We just kind of look at it from the perspective that we are adults who can perform simple math and take care of it amongst ourselves. We don't need a server to print out multiple tickets and run multiple cards.

I understand why people do it and want to do it, but it just isn't for us.
Do you guys give each other cash then? Or just rotate who pays?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Not all of us old folks have Venmo but... do you split evenly or keep track of what you have? I would feel bad splitting evenly because most of my friends would be perfectly happy sharing a pitcher of Busch Light while I'm drinking $6/pints of Des Moines IPA and my wife's having $8 margaritas.

The person that pays sends out a request for what each person owes. Pretty easy.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I have never once been out to eat where multiple people all chip in the same amount for a dinner bill. Everyone just pays their own way.

Yet in TV and movies groups always split the bill equally.

Is paying your own way more common I. The Midwest/Iowa or has my experience been unique?

What do you do?

It is easiest to split equally. That is what we have typically done. If someone’s was a little more or less, it isn’t going to ruin my life.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron