Misc: 25 years since Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Probably the biggest upset in all sports. Up until this fight Tyson was an indestructible force in the ring. I remember we were at work that night when they announcement came over the radio and everybody just turned and said WHAT?

[video=youtube;rt8LZ8FjGN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8LZ8FjGN8[/video]

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Probably the biggest upset in all sports. Up until this fight Tyson was an indestructible force in the ring. I remember we were at work that night when they announcement came over the radio and everybody just turned and said WHAT?

[video=youtube;rt8LZ8FjGN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8LZ8FjGN8[/video]

Sad to look back at this type of fight/event and think that boxing can't get its act together enough to get back to this today.

MayorsAge

Mar 24, 2014
Yep, I was watching live and talking on the phone with a friend when he got knocked out. I probably played Punch Out on Nintendo right after too.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
Tyson looked "somewhat" clear headed when he got to his knees, but then the sideways mouthpiece solidified that he had no idea where he was at. Plus he tries to use the ref to stand up. I wish boxing looked like this again. I would start watching all over.

Apr 19, 2006
Wow, I'm getting old! I remember this like it was yesterday and it's been 25 YEARS!!!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Tyson looked "somewhat" clear headed when he got to his knees, but then the sideways mouthpiece solidified that he had no idea where he was at. Plus he tries to use the ref to stand up. I wish boxing looked like this again. I would start watching all over.
Boxing slowly started to die when they started doing everything Pay per View. No more ABC Saturday afternoon fights to get newer fans. UFC stepped in and started putting their product out there and picked up what should have been the new boxing fans.
I remember watching Macho Comacho, Tyson and many others on ABC on Saturday afternoons. I watched Ray Manicini's fight with Duk Koo Kim. Second most epic fight I had ever seen. I don't think anything will ever beat Danny "Little Red" Lopez against Mike Ayala

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
You'd think that if a network put a little effort into getting boxing broadcast during the "dead" summer months, they could get a little momentum going. Maybe not.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think two fights changed boxing forever.

(1)Ali-Spinks 1

(2)Arturo Gatti-Irish Micky Ward

Head trauma anyone?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I used to watch USA channel Tuesday night fights and the ESPN Friday night fights. Haven't seen them in years if they are even on TV anymore. UFC probably has taken a huge chunk out of that.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Didn't Douglas get knocked down and get a "generous" count in that fight? The whole boxing world might have looked different if Tyson wouldn't have lost.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
This was possibly the biggest upset in the history of sports, not just boxing. It was David vs. Goliath. It was Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech.

For those too young to remember, at this point in his career, Mike Tyson was the most fearsome, dominant athlete on the planet. One of the most shocking sports moments I can ever remember.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
Was watching this live in my dorm room with some buddies, we were in utter shock when Tyson was knocked down. He was unbeatable up until that match.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
If it was a generous count it still doesn't deny the fact that Tyson got knocked out. That was unheard of. (So was biting ears.) :twitcy:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
You'd think that if a network put a little effort into getting boxing broadcast during the "dead" summer months, they could get a little momentum going. Maybe not.
NBC is actually entering a partnership to broadcast Premier Boxing Champions on NBC and Spike TV.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Watched it live with my family and nobody thought it would end up like that. We thought it would be quick as usual, 1-2 rounds and done. I remember that leading up to the fight reading about Tyson not focused, got knocked down by Greg Page during his sparring session, ignoring press during conference by listening to walkman while the press asking question, etc but no one thought that Buster would win. Tyson was too powerful and fearsome.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't Douglas get knocked down and get a "generous" count in that fight? The whole boxing world might have looked different if Tyson wouldn't have lost.

Yes he got a very very long count. Tyson should have won by KO in the 9th.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Yes he got a very very long count. Tyson should have won by KO in the 9th.
I disagree. Douglas was clearly ready to get up, he just used the full 10 to get a little rest. He was up on a knee and ready to get up well before the 10 count.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I'm as much of a fan of Tyson as the next guy, but he beat a whole bunch of stiffs on his way to the title. Even the "big names" he beat were either old guys (Holmes), or pretenders (Berbick and Spinks).

Having said that, dude was vicious in the ring. He was the quickest heavyweight I'd ever seen, like when a coiled snake strikes. Opponents' plans of victory quickly changed to that of survival when Tyson would land his first flurry of punches.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron