Misc: 25 years since Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I disagree. Douglas was clearly ready to get up, he just used the full 10 to get a little rest. He was up on a knee and ready to get up well before the 10 count.

I'm with this guy. Douglas was more angry than hurt. Just got hit by a big shot, but never looked like a man who got knocked out.
If the count was faster, Douglas beats that count, too.

Thanks to Don King's accusations, they did have a arbitrator review this, and they ruled that the count was fine.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm as much of a fan of Tyson as the next guy, but he beat a whole bunch of stiffs on his way to the title. Even the "big names" he beat were either old guys (Holmes), or pretenders (Berbick and Spinks).

Having said that, dude was vicious in the ring. He was the quickest heavyweight I'd ever seen, like when a coiled snake strikes. Opponents' plans of victory quickly changed to that of survival when Tyson would land his first flurry of punches

Yes. It was amazing - and still amazes me when I see replays - how fast he could deliver that uppercut with that much force behind it.

You could tell he was really out of it with the knock out. He was right by the ropes and could have used them to get up but instead tries to hang on to the ref which was a really big signal to him that he needed to stop the fight.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Crazy how unprepared Tyson and his corner were for the fight. They didn't have an eye iron so they were using a rubber glove filled with ice water for the swelling around Tyson's eye.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Crazy how unprepared Tyson and his corner were for the fight. They didn't have an eye iron so they were using a rubber glove filled with ice water for the swelling around Tyson's eye.

Yep and IIRC someone scratched Tyson's swollen eye with a chain or something else while they were working on him and it aggravated it even more.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Had one of his fights ever gone long enough to need one?

It is no excuse, but it is there...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Lots of memories of this very average video game:
james-buster-douglas-knockout-boxing-usa-europe.png

The Sega Genesis Holyfield boxing game was awesome though.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Would've loved to have seen Foreman take on Tyson.

Forman said Mike was like "Smokin'" Joe Frazier in size and style.

After Buster used his size to defeat Tyson I'm guessing George was right to want a piece of him.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I watched the whole fight too. Tyson was telegraphing when he was about to throw and Douglas was getting his punches off first, then tying Tyson up. Incredible game plan.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I hated Ali in those days and was ecstatic when Spinks beat him. I have since flipped 180 degrees on Ali. He is/was one of a kind.

Ali shouldn't have still been fighting at that point.

The early to mid 90's heavyweights was not the golden era of heavyweights but it was a fantastic time for that class. You had Tyson, Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe among others as the top dogs and they had some FANTASTIC fights between them

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
That's crazy, how do you hire a guy with absolutely no experience to train someone at that level?
This fight was right after Don King had managed to completely isolate Tyson from the people that had managed and trained him. Cus had died and Bill Cayton and Kevin Rooney were forced out. If you had watched the other Tyson fights you could see when watching that replay that Mike was completely unprepared for that fight.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This, Tyson had won the fight. Game over. IMO that is what started the end for boxing. complete bs
Watch that video again, Douglas was on a knee earlier in the count, he was just giving himself some extra time. If the guy was counting faster he woulda been up sooner.