BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
ya r

Omg stop trying to make wrestling happen! It’s not going to happen.

The fetch of ISU sports?

giphy.gif

Sorry guys, had to cause CF has been lacking in Mean Girl gifs of late.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
There needs to be a female on the Mt Rushmore even though there are candidates that are more qualified that have a thingy between their legs.

Beyond what Grayer, Davis, and Sanderson did as players, which other thingy players have accomplishments like this?

top 5 ranked team, beat top seed UConn in the NCAA Sweet Sixteen, won ave. of 26 games per year. Her records include scoring (2,149), rebounding (1,209), blocked shots (155), free throws made (557) and free throw attempts (768) She was a three time All-American, and one of 5 wbb players named to the 10th Anniversary All-Big 12 team.

Angie Welle

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah this is actually tough. Criteria is critical. I think it has to be more about the impact to ISU in total - not just a great individual performer. And it has to be a long term impact too, a generation or more.

Candidates:
Sanderson - individual only, nope
Troy Davis - individual only, nope (really hard to write that)
Gable - individual only, and more impact to Iowa than ISU
Grayer & Fizer - individual only, nope
Floyd - not here long enough
Eustacy - greatness yes, but the way it ended...
Pete Taylor - not sure he had the impact, except to an older generation of fans, but I still get emotional about Pete. I want to put him up there, but I can't quite get there

Too early:
Pollard - if ISU is a power FB player in 2025 and remains in a major conference after re-alignment, then yeah I think he qualifies
CMC - its only been 2.5 seasons, if he is still here in 2030...

The Top Four:
Orr - he brought the Magic, and was/is a legend
Trice - part of the creation myths, a hero we can aspire to, the stadium is named after him
Hoiberg - golden boy, winning player, brought national attention to ISU as a coach too
Danny Mac - he brought FB back from the grave, could still be in hell without him

I know Mac will be controversial, but seriously, could anyone else have laid the foundation like he did? He was relentless and tireless. I feel like he is ISU's Moses - he led us to the promised land, though he couldn't enter it himself.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Yeah this is actually tough. Criteria is critical. I think it has to be more about the impact to ISU in total - not just a great individual performer. And it has to be a long term impact too, a generation or more.

Candidates:
Sanderson - individual only, nope
Troy Davis - individual only, nope (really hard to write that)
Gable - individual only, and more impact to Iowa than ISU
Grayer & Fizer - individual only, nope
Floyd - not here long enough
Eustacy - greatness yes, but the way it ended...
Pete Taylor - not sure he had the impact, except to an older generation of fans, but I still get emotional about Pete. I want to put him up there, but I can't quite get there

Too early:
Pollard - if ISU is a power FB player in 2025 and remains in a major conference after re-alignment, then yeah I think he qualifies
CMC - its only been 2.5 seasons, if he is still here in 2030...

The Top Four:
Orr - he brought the Magic, and was/is a legend
Trice - part of the creation myths, a hero we can aspire to, the stadium is named after him
Hoiberg - golden boy, winning player, brought national attention to ISU as a coach too
Danny Mac - he brought FB back from the grave, could still be in hell without him

I know Mac will be controversial, but seriously, could anyone else have laid the foundation like he did? He was relentless and tireless. I feel like he is ISU's Moses - he led us to the promised land, though he couldn't enter it himself.

Sanderson and Davis have done things that literally no one has done in the history of their respective collegiate sports. I get what you're saying as far as criteria, but that's pretty tough to overlook.

Reactions: Knownothing

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I understand 75% of you were not even born yet, and of the remaining 25% of you probably only 2% of you appreciate the sport. But if you want a true Mt Rushmore of something besides Football and Basketball then you kind of have to put Bill Bergan. The man coached 2 NCAA National Championship Cross Country Teams, numerous Big 8 Championships, and is in the US Track and Field Hall of Fame.

But I get it.........so maybe as a consolation prize a Crazy Horse memorial or Stone Mountain face instead ???

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I would go with the people that changed the culture @ ISU:
Orr
Harold Nichols
Pollard
Campbell (if he sticks around 10 yrs and succeeds..assume it will take at least that long to carve)

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Dr. Harold Nichols needs to be on it. He coached teams to 6 national championships and 7 conference championships while compiling a record of 456-75-11 (.841 winning percentage)

Reactions: Todd

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm sorry but if you left a coaching gig at ISU for another college, you're out and if you made Iowa the best program in the nation, you're out. Thems the rules. To me a mount Rushmore isn't always about "the best" as much as it's about "the most impactful." Who left something more than numbers? Cael? Not really. Gable? Nope. Davis? Maybe. Trice? Absolutely. We still talk about those two seasons a lot. Hoiberg? Most certainly. Orr? Yeah. Pollard? Yeah but he's not done. So my four as of today are:

-Orr
-Hoiberg
-Trice
-Pollard

Orr would be the first one out if something happened with the football program. Next would be Pollard but he could take Hoibergs spot back down the road a ways. This Mount Rushmore should be made out of Play-doh.

• Agree
Reactions: sschrag03

KCy

Jul 20, 2008
Kansas City
hoiberg
Cael
Troy Davis
pollard mccarney orr ---------but eventually will be Campbell if he sticks around.

My first three are non negotiable to me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I understand 75% of you were not even born yet, and of the remaining 25% of you probably only 2% of you appreciate the sport. But if you want a true Mt Rushmore of something besides Football and Basketball then you kind of have to put Bill Bergan. The man coached 2 NCAA National Championship Cross Country Teams, numerous Big 8 Championships, and is in the US Track and Field Hall of Fame.

But I get it.........so maybe as a consolation prize a Crazy Horse memorial or Stone Mountain face instead ???
Well then what about Ed Gagnier?

For those that don't know he did more than come out at BB games and host Shoot 5 for 5.

He created the ISU Men's Gymnastic program from scratch. In 20 years of competition his teams won:
10 Big 8 titles
3 National titles
3 Times National Runners-up
18 Individual National Champions
76 Individual Big 8 Champions
7 Undefeated seasons

Last edited:
Reactions: runbikeswim

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Nawal El Moutawakel - Gold medal winner and a pioneer in sports in multiple ways. She's the only one I didn't have to think twice about.

Hoiberg - He wouldn't have made it just as a player alone but he was also a successful coach. As a coach, he made ISU cool.

Cael - I debated about Gable but subtracted points because he coached Iowa. I'd like to agree with Gunner (Stop trying to make wrestling happen) but it is a large part of ISU's history.

Danny Harris - Ended one of the greatest streaks in sports when he beat Edwin Moses.

Others considered:
Troy Davis
Jack Trice
Pete Taylor
Johnny Orr
Grayer
Niang

• Agree
Reactions: Land Shark

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Surprised I haven’t seen any consideration even for Hornacek. Arguably the best NBA career of any Cyclone. Idk any other Clone that made it onto NBA Jam.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Four spots. All Iowa State athletics. Who ya got?

Dr. Harold Nichols (greatest coach in ISU history w/ 6 NCAA titles and a TON of NCAA runner-ups)
Johnny Orr- People will never know what he meant to ISU's morale and visibility during what may have been its worst decade ever in the 1980's. Most well known coach at ISU ever.
Fred Hoiberg (perhaps most recognizable ISU athlete ever and one of ISU's greatest student/ athletes) All-American performer and Academic All-American Performer.
Nawal El Moutawakel- greatest ISU female athlete ever and Olympic Champion. One of the most influential ISU grads ever. Incredible thrill watching Al Michaels call her win in LA and having him say Iowa State three times during her event.
5th face
Bill Bergan (2nd greatest ISU coach of all time- most conference titles of anyone and 2 NCAA Crowns)
Ed Gagnier- 3 NCAA titles and olympic and world impact in gymnastics while living in Ames, IA. He was also a very big part of Hilton Magic in the 1980's and 90's after his sport was cut. Hi Ed!

Last edited:
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
As an aside, Bobby Utter was a shotgun QB forced to run a triple option. Put Brock in the same situation, and he'd do no better.
Um. No. Purdy's started two games and already has played better in two games than Utter's best game (which was a loss to Iowa). Utter had a pretty snappy wardrobe though.