'21 DT Tyler Onyedim Commits!

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018

D Line will be great for years to come. People forget about this guy since Howard Brown is trucking dudes

I think they are different types of players. Brown reminds me of Curvey (a bowling ball with great feet and athleticism) where Onyedim reminds me more of an Enyi. A guy who can play inside but with the ability to play outside and set the edge in the run game from the end position.

Reactions: cyclone4L

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

D Line will be great for years to come. People forget about this guy since Howard Brown is trucking dudes

Between those two and J.R. Singleton, I kinda feel like the DE’s in the two classes aren’t quite keeping up. Just a tiny hair behind.

But then I remember that the class before those had Peterson and Suttle as DE’s, so I suspect we’re good for now.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I think they are different types of players. Brown reminds me of Curvey (a bowling ball with great feet and athleticism) where Onyedim reminds me more of an Enyi. A guy who can play inside but with the ability to play outside and set the edge in the run game from the end position.
He looks very similar to the guys we have been recruiting for the past few classes. Bankston, Lee, Brown and Onyedim are all beefy bowling balls with high motors.

I love those types of dudes that make a mess in the middle.

Onyedim is 6’4”. It’s going to be fun to watch him when he’s up to 315.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Nice. Like seeing a recruit that already looks the part of a DT.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: cyclone4L

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
He looks very similar to the guys we have been recruiting for the past few classes. Bankston, Lee, Brown and Onyedim are all beefy bowling balls with high motors.

I love those types of dudes that make a mess in the middle.

Onyedim is 6’4”. It’s going to be fun to watch him when he’s up to 315.
Don't want to get sidetracked too much, but did Bankston play much against Okie State? I never noticed him.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Between those two and J.R. Singleton, I kinda feel like the DE’s in the two classes aren’t quite keeping up. Just a tiny hair behind.

But then I remember that the class before those had Peterson and Suttle as DE’s, so I suspect we’re good for now.
Johnny Wilson will be a beast.

Reactions: cyclone1209

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Johnny will be the perfect DE in the 3 / 3 stack IMO. A different style player than Enyi, quicker, more explosive but not quite as long obviously. I'm excited about him, he had many offers.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I just watched highlights of this kid's senior season. He's kind of been the forgotten recruit for me in this last class because when I think of DTs from the class, it starts and stops with Howard Brown.

But I can see why the staff is singing Onyedim's praises a little bit in practice this fall. He's quick off the ball, uses his hands well and is able to consistently slide off blockers to make the tackle for little or no gain. He's got a pass rush game and is good in pursuit too, very rarely plays himself out of position and maintains his gap responsibility. If this kid adds about 20-30 pounds of muscle, he could be our next great DT.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I just watched highlights of this kid's senior season. He's kind of been the forgotten recruit for me in this last class because when I think of DTs from the class, it starts and stops with Howard Brown.

But I can see why the staff is singing Onyedim's praises a little bit in practice this fall. He's quick off the ball, uses his hands well and is able to consistently slide off blockers to make the tackle for little or no gain. He's got a pass rush game and is good in pursuit too, very rarely plays himself out of position and maintains his gap responsibility. If this kid adds about 20-30 pounds of muscle, he could be our next great DT.
The one criticism I saw of Tyler from an “expert” who saw him in person wasn’t that he didn’t have the skills or athleticism, it was that he wasn’t consistently dominant.

This staff tends to take care of that.

Oh, I’ll add that at one time, I would have been wondering if young Mr. Onyedim would make a good guard, and could flip over to help out the OL. That’s no longer the case.:D

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Reminds me of a less lengthy Enyi.

Solid pick up! 6’3 280.
Johnny will be the perfect DE in the 3 / 3 stack IMO. A different style player than Enyi, quicker, more explosive but not quite as long obviously. I'm excited about him, he had many offers.
When did Enyi get this nickname? Just curious.
We are talking about this guy, yes?

5Eyioma UwazurikeDE6-6310R-Sr.Detroit, Mich. (Southfield-lathrup)
Edit: Seems I remember it was just easier to say?

Last edited:

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
When did Enyi get this nickname? Just curious.
We are talking about this guy, yes?

5Eyioma UwazurikeDE6-6310R-Sr.Detroit, Mich. (Southfield-lathrup)
Edit: Seems I remember it was just easier to say?

Who knows but probably the same way anybody gets a nickname. I met his mom at a game a few years ago and that’s what she called him. Nice lady

Reactions: Aclone and t-noah