2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Is that the case on a rebound. I thought it was only on a made basket after a timeout. I don’t watch a lot of women’s basketball, so I don’t really know.

It can be brought to the front court 28 ft line on a rebound or steal, only if the team that earned possession didn’t start to advance the ball before calling timeout.

Reactions: WartburgClone

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Do Iowa fans get annoyed that every national outlet refers to them as “Caitlin Clark and Iowa…”?

I feel like the players would get more annoyed than the fans. Like the Michael and the Jordanaires.

But then again, maybe the players don’t care since they probably wouldn’t even be a tournament team without Clark.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
UCONN had 8 seconds or so when the illegal screen was called a little past half court. The rebound was with 1.3 seconds and at the EIU end of the floor. The odds of getting a decent shot with 1.3 seconds are not nearly as good as with 8 seconds a little behind half court.
There were 3.9 seconds left when the call was made and 3.1 seconds left when Clark went to the line. Get the rebound , call time out and they are right back in the same position as Hoops points out.

Reactions: cyfanster

cyfanster

Dec 29, 2021
Let me ask you, when you saw the play, did you say to yourself, "That was a moving screen." Because I sure didn't see it, after watching the replay for a couple of different angles, it was. But watching it live, I did not think it was a foul. The replay changed my mind, it if takes replay to do that, then it should not be called, I don't care if it was a moving screen or not. You let the players on the court decide the outcome.
We had the same discussion in the super bowl, with the eagle's player holding onto the receiver of the Chiefs, sure it was defensive holding, but I would not have called it on the first hold, the second one was, but how many people said it should not have been called at all?
In the end, EIU comes away with a victory that some would say was aided by the refs, if UCONN shoots the ball and misses, no one has that opinion, the call is the story, let it play out, if she makes the shot, then EIU fans are ******** about the moving screen, but we will never know.
I thought that it was an intentional foul not just a moving screen.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
When you don’t call any obvious foul, that is the exact opposite of letting the players determine the outcome. In this case, the player determined the outcome by fouling.

The “let the players decide” fallacy is the most annoying point people who hate officials make.

Remember the Rams vs the Saints playoffs? I didn’t hear that argument being made then.

Officials have the most unappreciated jobs in sports. The skill of most of them, in all college/professional sports is off the charts, unless your name in Angel Hernandez.

cyfanster

Dec 29, 2021
Cant take the women's tournament seriously. Clearly the calls are deciding games. With 4 seconds left, the refs should let it play out. No calls unless super obvious. This is definitely fixed.
If Marshall would have fouled Bueckers making her miss a winning shot, should that have been called or swallow your whistle and let the players determine the game?

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
You have to make contact with the defender for it to be a foul. In this case, I saw so little contact that it didn’t even impede the defender. Most refs are not going to call this. It is very different than what happened at the end of the game. And using this as an example to justify why the foul at the end of the game shouldn’t have been called is a very weak argument.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
the UCONN game is over. Iowa plays for the championship tomorrow. Now the question becomes: can Staley actually strategize to win? Or will Iowas coaches nuke their talent advantage like last year?

SC is a better team than last year. They can shoot the three and Cardoso has developed some nice offensive moves beyond just being tall. They are deep; Staley often does a full line change substitution. They have some elite athletic talent in Fulwiley and Watkins.

But they’ve also had several close calls. At times they lose focus and almost seem to assume they’ll win. They have given up 20+ point leads multiple times recently but managed to come away with a win.

I’ve doubted Iowa many times in this tournament and they just keep winning. I want SC to pound them into dust but I give Iowa a good chance of making this a game and even winning.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

6:03 mark watch Stuelke shes moving the entire time not set. Also it doesn't matter if your feet are shoulder width or "5 feet" apart when it comes to a moving screen.

There is nothing in the rule book that is called a moving screen. There is a legal screen, and if it doesn’t fall into those parameters it is an illegal screen. And yes, the feet need to be no wider than shoulder width apart to be a legal screen, moving or not.

The most important part about setting an illegal screen due to moving, is contact has to be made AND delay the opponent from making it to their desired location.

It has to be both. So even if some contact was made here, which is very hard to tell on this angle, it did not affect the defender getting to her spot.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In 2020 when DiDi Richards touch fouled Ashley Joens with .1 seconds left in a tie game versus #2 Baylor the "You can't call that at that point in the game!" crowd was 100% in the "A foul is a foul, you have to call it regardless of the time and score!" crowd.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
You have to make contact with the defender for it to be a foul. In this case, I saw so little contact that it didn’t even impede the defender. Most refs are not going to call this. It is very different than what happened at the end of the game. And using this as an example to justify why the foul at the end of the game shouldn’t have been called is a very weak argument.
You misunderstand me. I'm on the "it was a correct foul call" side, and I'm pointing out that your feet can't be "five feet apart", which is one reason I think there was a foul on that final play -- she stuck her leg out way past shoulder-width.

Last edited:

Jimbo ISU

Mar 7, 2024
Congratulations to Iowa on the big win yesterday. They surprised me as I didn't think they had nearly enough talent to make it back to the championship game. Stuelke had a huge game and Martin took over down the stretch. As I Cyclone fan I was rooting against Iowa when they played WV and CO, but obviously I would never root for LSU, Conn or USC. Since Iowa made it this far, I hope they find a way to win one more game.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
the UCONN game is over. Iowa plays for the championship tomorrow. Now the question becomes: can Staley actually strategize to win? Or will Iowas coaches nuke their talent advantage like last year?

SC is a better team than last year. They can shoot the three and Cardoso has developed some nice offensive moves beyond just being tall. They are deep; Staley often does a full line change substitution. They have some elite athletic talent in Fulwiley and Watkins.

But they’ve also had several close calls. At times they lose focus and almost seem to assume they’ll win. They have given up 20+ point leads multiple times recently but managed to come away with a win.

I’ve doubted Iowa many times in this tournament and they just keep winning. I want SC to pound them into dust but I give Iowa a good chance of making this a game and even winning.
I certainly get the idea that Staley and her team haven’t forgotten the Iowa game last year. I think that motivation will prevent any “lost focus” this time around.

If Iowa shoots as poorly as they did in the first half last night, it could be a blowout. If Clark goes off from deep like she did against LSU, the Hawkeyes might have a slim chance. I just think South Carolina is going to be way too strong for an Iowa team that’s, frankly, not quite as accomplished as what they were last year.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
@brentblum any legs to the rumor

The force is weak within you.
The enemy of your enemy is your friend.
Listen, I don't bother attending ISU at Iowa anymore, and haven't for such a long time, because Iowa fans have become so unsufferable.

That said, I think the UConn and LSU women's teams and coaches are absolutely awful, and UConn's fanbase are much worse than the Hawkeye's.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I certainly get the idea that Staley and her team haven’t forgotten the Iowa game last year. I think that motivation will prevent any “lost focus” this time around.

If Iowa shoots as poorly as they did in the first half last night, it could be a blowout. If Clark goes off from deep like she did against LSU, the Hawkeyes might have a slim chance. I just think South Carolina is going to be way too strong for an Iowa team that’s, frankly, not quite as accomplished as what they were last year.
Staley seriously dislikes Iowa and CC. There won't be any lost focus on her part, and this year's team IMO is much more balanced in terms of post/perimeter, Iowa won't be able to just pack it in and give them open looks all night.

SC has too much talent, will win by 20+.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I don't disagree with a thing you said. I also thought Iowa would lose a long time ago in this tournament and they've kept proving that wrong. I'm not rooting for them, but clearly my cardinal & gold glasses are keeping me from seeing something.

One variable that will be interesting to watch: Raven Johnson and Cardoso both got dinged up in their FF game yesterday. Both had to come out of the game for treatment and returned. They are their two statistical leaders in all the major categories. It will be interesting to see if there's any lingering issues there or if they re-aggravate their injuries.

I'm curious who SC puts on Clark. The Muhl girl guarding Clark last night did an outstanding job until fouls became a problem. Fulwiley from SC is lightning quick; they have her listed at 5'10" which is taller than I would guess but she's also a freshman. Watkins is freaky athletic and has length but maybe a touch slow to guard Clark.

SC has all the advantages. Vegas has them favored by 6.5 pts. But it still feels like Iowa has plenty of opportunities to come out on top.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
The “let the players decide” fallacy is the most annoying point people who hate officials make.

Remember the Rams vs the Saints playoffs? I didn’t hear that argument being made then.

Officials have the most unappreciated jobs in sports. The skill of most of them, in all college/professional sports is off the charts, unless your name in Angel Hernandez.
He's probably the worst and most thin-skinned in all sports.