***2023-24 College Football Thread***

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
It would be great to see OSU upset Texas but I’d rather prop up ISU. So FSU loses to Louisville, Texas wins and the playoffs are UGA, Michigan, Washington (or Oregon) and Texas. Then OSU and OU get NY6 games and the Clones play in the Alamo Bowl vs Arizona. That would be amazing.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think OSU would make a NY6 bowl if they lost, and OU is a stretch for an at-large. Texas would be the Big 12 champ but they would either get the B12 spot or CFP. If they make CFP, I think the B12’s NY6 spot converts to at large.

I think the best route would be for OSU to upset Texas and get the Big 12 championship qualifier. Texas should still be high enough to get an at-large to a NY6 bowl. That would bump up everyone a spot

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Michigan
Georgia
FSU
Washington

Assuming all take care of business in the CCGs

Anything else is the same farce we've seen from the CFP over the years.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I could be wrong, but I don’t think OSU would make a NY6 bowl if they lost, and OU is a stretch for an at-large. Texas would be the Big 12 champ but they would either get the B12 spot or CFP. If they make CFP, I think the B12’s NY6 spot converts to at large.

I think the best route would be for OSU to upset Texas and get the Big 12 championship qualifier. Texas should still be high enough to get an at-large to a NY6 bowl. That would bump up everyone a spot
That’s an even better scenario then

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
My guess for the playoff:
Georgia
Michigan
Florida State
Winner or Oregon/Washington

Things could get interesting if Florida State or Georgia lose. If Alabama beats Georgia, does the committee reward Bama? Texas won the head-to-head, assuming Texas beats OSU. Georgia is in no matter what, because SEC.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
My guess for the playoff:
Georgia
Michigan
Florida State
Winner or Oregon/Washington

Things could get interesting if Florida State or Georgia lose. If Alabama beats Georgia, does the committee reward Bama? Texas won the head-to-head, assuming Texas beats OSU. Georgia is in no matter what, because SEC.

A 12-1 SEC champion being left out of the playoff? Surely you jest. If Alabama wins, they are in. I do think Georgia is in win-or-lose (unless Bama absolutely destroys them), but I’m also told Georgia’s schedule wasn’t strong, so … maybe not? Maybe a Bama win lifts Texas above Georgia for that spot?

Or, knowing the committee, they put Ohio State in there instead. :rolleyes:

Personally I’d put Texas as the “next team in” if an undefeated stumbles and opens up a spot, but that’s just me. Ohio State shouldn’t be considered unless there’s at least two spots opening up.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that if we end up with four undefeated P5 conference champions, that’s our four playoff teams. If the committee screws that up, there’s simply no hope for the system.

If Oregon wins, they take Washington’s spot, so no opportunity for someone else.

If FSU loses, they are out, and a spot is open.

If Michigan loses, do they stay top 4? I say no, considering how embarrassing it would be to lose to Iowa. I think that would open up a spot.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
A 12-1 SEC champion being left out of the playoff? Surely you jest. If Alabama wins, they are in. I do think Georgia is in win-or-lose (unless Bama absolutely destroys them), but I’m also told Georgia’s schedule wasn’t strong, so … maybe not? Maybe a Bama win lifts Texas above Georgia for that spot?

Or, knowing the committee, they put Ohio State in there instead. :rolleyes:

Personally I’d put Texas as the “next team in” if an undefeated stumbles and opens up a spot, but that’s just me. Ohio State shouldn’t be considered unless there’s at least two spots opening up.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that if we end up with four undefeated P5 conference champions, that’s our four playoff teams. If the committee screws that up, there’s simply no hope for the system.

If Oregon wins, they take Washington’s spot, so no opportunity for someone else.

If FSU loses, they are out, and a spot is open.

If Michigan loses, do they stay top 4? I say no, considering how embarrassing it would be to lose to Iowa. I think that would open up a spot.
How about this scenario:
  • Michigan beats Iowa
  • Alabama beats Georgia
  • Louisville beats FSU
  • Texas beats Okie St
  • Oregon beats Washington
Michigan is the only totally uncontroversial pick. Alabama, Texas & Oregon are all 1-loss conference champs. Texas had probably the worst loss of the three, to Oklahoma, which isn’t all that bad. Bama lost to Texas, Oregon was 1-1 vs Washington but lost to them at home.

Washington and FSU have only 1 loss, and Washington beat Oregon at Oregon.

CFP committee: “Total historical appearances in the 4-team field are an important data point this year. Michigan (1) vs Georgia (4); Alabama (2) vs Ohio St (3). What are they going to do? It’s the last year of the 4 team format. LOL.”

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
How about this scenario:
  • Michigan beats Iowa
  • Alabama beats Georgia
  • Louisville beats FSU
  • Texas beats Okie St
Michigan is the only totally uncontroversial pick. Alabama, Texas & Oregon are all 1-loss conference champs. Texas had probably the worst loss of the three, to Oklahoma, which isn’t all that bad. Bama lost to Texas, Oregon was 1-1 vs Washington but lost to them at home.

CFP committee: “Total historical appearances in the 4-team field are an important data point this year. Michigan (1) vs Georgia (4); Alabama (2) vs Ohio St (3). What are they going to do? It’s the last year of the 4 team format. LOL.”
I bet it would be Michigan, Bama, Texas and Oregon in that scenario

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Nah Georgia is in no matter what. They are not being prevented from trying for the 3-peat especially if their only loss is bama. Plus their eye test is pretty much locking them in. Michigan is also most likely in no matter what. Texas needs a win and two teams to lose. Bama also needs multiple teams to lose.

The weird thing for me this season is going to be the matchups. I still have Georgia as the champion but FSU is going to get crushed if they get so that’s going to be essentially a bye if they make it.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
It absolutely should be the 1-loss conference champs, and it would be in a fair and just world.

On the other hand, the CFP committee has a history of inventing metrics to benefit the B10 and SEC on the fly. Whatever the outrage, it’s solved by the CFP expanding next year anyway. There’s no accountability.

Let’s see where Ohio St ends up ranked this week. IMO, it should be something like:
  1. Georgia
  2. Michigan
  3. Washington
  4. FSU
  5. Oregon
  6. Texas
  7. Alabama
  8. Ohio St
If they’re 5 or 6, it feels like the committee is setting it up to find a rationale that shoehorns them in. And maybe they are, since the B10 isn’t getting left out and a Michigan loss to Iowa would be by far the worse loss of anyone in contention.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
It absolutely should be the 1-loss conference champs, and it would be in a fair and just world.

On the other hand, the CFP committee has a history of inventing metrics to benefit the B10 and SEC on the fly. Whatever the outrage, it’s solved by the CFP expanding next year anyway. There’s no accountability.

Let’s see where Ohio St ends up ranked this week. IMO, it should be something like:
  1. Georgia
  2. Michigan
  3. Washington
  4. FSU
  5. Oregon
  6. Texas
  7. Alabama
  8. Ohio St
If they’re 5 or 6, it feels like the committee is setting it up to find a rationale that shoehorns them in. And maybe they are, since the B10 isn’t getting left out and a Michigan loss to Iowa would be by far the worse loss of anyone in contention.
I could see them being in the 5/6 spot this week actually. But again they are the only team in the top 8 not playing in a championship game so they can only get in if others lose.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
How about this scenario:
  • Michigan beats Iowa
  • Alabama beats Georgia
  • Louisville beats FSU
  • Texas beats Okie St

I could be wrong but I though Oregon lost in Seattle, not at home?

Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron