NFL: ***2022 NFL Season Thread***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Agree, when they have pretty much done nothing to Snyder & Kraft think it will probably cost them.

Then again Goodell can just change the decision to however long he wants it to be. If that happens have a feeling there will be a lawsuit coming.
I'm pretty sure that Snyder has been punished before. He had to temporarily relinquish control for a while. The problem is that the control just went to his wife so it didn't do much and he has plenty of money to cover the fines. In my opinion, the public doesn't care about fines anyways.

Note: I am not defending Snyder (I think he is a POS). It is just more difficult to punish owners.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Does missing all of last year play into the measly six game suspension?
Maybe? Depends on what the judge says in her decision, to see how she viewed it. The team would not let him play last year, but he did get paid. So it's closer to a suspension with pay.

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yep. Goodell would hear the appeal and make the ultimate decision, although if he significantly changes it, it would likely result in a lawsuit. I suspect the NFL will gauge the reaction to the judge's decision and decide if they want to drag this out any further.

I'd be curious exactly what language was built into the CBA for Goodell's standard of review. I'd venture to guess it's somewhat limiting in the amount of discretion he truly has. Otherwise why in the world would the Player's Union have agreed to that?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'd be curious exactly what language was built into the CBA for Goodell's standard of review. I'd venture to guess it's somewhat limiting in the amount of discretion he truly has. Otherwise why in the world would the Player's Union have agreed to that?
Having final say has been part of his power through multiple CBA renegotiations. It's one of those things the union argues strongly against, but has ultimately agreed to because it's usually a PR win for them. The guys affected by it are mostly bad actors, rather than the bulk of the union members, but in the event a player gets an overly harsh punishment, aka Calvin Ridley, it's Goodell and the league who look bad in the court of public opinion, not the union.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Having final say has been part of his power through multiple CBA renegotiations. It's one of those things the union argues strongly against, but has ultimately agreed to because it's usually a PR win for them. The guys affected by it are mostly bad actors, rather than the bulk of the union members, but in the event a player gets an overly harsh punishment, aka Calvin Ridley, it's Goodell and the league who look bad in the court of public opinion, not the union.

I'm just curious what legal grounds they'd have to sue if Goodell changes it to a year. If you grant him full and complete authority during the appeals process, what was the point of having a Judge arbitrate the initial hearing?

I can't imagine he doesn't increase it, especially with the Calvin Ridley suspension. That would be an absolute PR nightmare.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Watson is a POS and should have gotten a full year or at the very least 10+ games. He's settled 20+ of these lawsuits now, you don't settle that easy unless you know going to court is not in your favor. I hope the Browns crash and burn, this was one of the dumbest deals they have done and I hope they continue to suck for years to come. Have a relative that leaves near Cleveland and they said fans there were not happy with trading for him let alone signing him to that big deal so it has not gone over well with the fanbase either. Mayfield may not be as talented but he represented the franchise well and not like he was a terrible QB either. The front office is basically putting their jobs on the line trusting a sexual predator will turn their franchise around and fans will forget it but I wouldn't hold my breathe that this turns out well in the end.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Let's look at the first 6 games of the Browns season..

Week 1 - @Panthers (W)
Week 2 - Jets (W)
Week 3 - Steelers (W)
Week 4 - @Falcons (W)

That has to be the easiest first 4 in the NFL...

Week 5 - Chargers (L) - Likely a loss with Watson anyway
Week 6 - Patriots (tossup leaning L) - Of course Belichick gets lucky and avoids Watson

4-2 start without your franchise QB... Not too shabby. You then get Watson vs Lamar in week 7 and Watson vs. Burrow in Week 8. Tough return.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I'm just curious what legal grounds they'd have to sue if Goodell changes it to a year. If you grant him full and complete authority during the appeals process, what was the point of having a Judge arbitrate the initial hearing?

I can't imagine he doesn't increase it, especially with the Calvin Ridley suspension. That would be an absolute PR nightmare.
There's really no way out of the PR nightmare, regardless. Even if Goodell goes to a yearlong suspension, there are lots of vocal people who want Watson suspended forever. And he would aggravate another vocal group that will fervently point out Snyder and Kraft's lack of punishment, despite the NFL's rules requiring them to be held to a higher standard. That would be at least part of the basis for Watson's lawsuit, which would almost assuredly follow if Goodell tries to increase the punishment too much.

My guess is that Goodell tries to thread the needle, and maybe says 8-10 games.

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Maybe? Depends on what the judge says in her decision, to see how she viewed it. The team would not let him play last year, but he did get paid. So it's closer to a suspension with pay.

I saw a tweet that a major sticking point for her appeared to be that it was non-violent, which I'm sure will go over well with people. Drawing a line between physical harm and psychological harm is an odd route to take.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I saw a tweet that a major sticking point for her appeared to be that it was non-violent, which I'm sure will go over well with people. Drawing a line between physical harm and psychological harm is an odd route to take.
I would guess that the fact that multiple grand juries declined to bring charges on any of the accusations played a role as well.

Until the judge's decision is released, the basis of the decision is all speculation. We'll have to see.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Week 1 - @Panthers (W)
Week 2 - Jets (W)
Week 3 - Steelers (W)
Week 4 - @Falcons (W)

Week 6 - Patriots (tossup leaning L) - Of course Belichick gets lucky and avoids Watson

4-2 start without your franchise QB... Not too shabby. You then get Watson vs Lamar in week 7 and Watson vs. Burrow in Week 8. Tough return.

You have to realize that Jacoby Brissett will be their starting QB for those games, it is no slam dunk that any of those will be wins and I would bet that with a healthy McCaffrey and a motived Mayfield that Week 1 probably will be a tough game. maybe they go 3-3, it is a pretty weak schedule for most good teams but I don't consider the Browns to be that good of a team at the moment.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines

Week 1 - @Panthers (W)
Week 2 - Jets (W)
Week 3 - Steelers (W)
Week 4 - @Falcons (W)

They'll be lucky to finish 2-2 in that stretch, the 2 road games will be tough with Brissett starting. The Steelers had a better record last year than the Browns with a QB that couldn't throw further than 10 yards. That game is a toss-up also.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Watson is a POS and should have gotten a full year or at the very least 10+ games. He's settled 20+ of these lawsuits now, you don't settle that easy unless you know going to court is not in your favor. I hope the Browns crash and burn, this was one of the dumbest deals they have done and I hope they continue to suck for years to come. Have a relative that leaves near Cleveland and they said fans there were not happy with trading for him let alone signing him to that big deal so it has not gone over well with the fanbase either. Mayfield may not be as talented but he represented the franchise well and not like he was a terrible QB either. The front office is basically putting their jobs on the line trusting a sexual predator will turn their franchise around and fans will forget it but I wouldn't hold my breathe that this turns out well in the end.
He should be gone, period.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He should be gone, period.
I'd be OK with that. Seems like others have gotten much stiffer penalties than he did for doing much less. Heck just getting busted for an illegal substance is 4 games so don't see how this mess is only 2 games worse than that.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

That's interesting wording used by the judge. Words that would likely be cited extensively if Goodell decides to throw out Robinson's punishment recommendation, and Watson files a lawsuit.