***2021-22 Bowl Games Discussion Thread***

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'll agree that an expansion is desperately needed. But if you think throwing out an undefeated Cincinnati in favor of two loss Ohio State is good for the sport, you're crazy. Having the same group of 5-6 teams in the playoff every year leads to stagnation and fatigue, even if you can make the argument that they're the best 4 teams. Seeing Michigan and Cincinnati make the playoff was refreshing this year, if only because it's finally some new blood.
I think that is a one act play, only needed infrequently. The argument that "hey, we think Team A is better but Team B will help avoid eventual stagnation" should be very low on the criteria for selecting teams and seeds.

But realignment is all about ratings, so perhaps we should prioritize ratings that much though,

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Expand it to 12 or whatever it'd still be UGA and Bama as the best teams. I know people don't like the term "eye test" but it should be obvious to anyone who's watched college football this year that Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams. If anyone one besides them were to win the NC that imo is a disservice to college football.
I don't disagree with this, but let's have another round of games to build the drama. Give people a storyline to follow. It's an entertainment product. For the love of God, give people entertainment. Because Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma every year isn't entertaining.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Expand it to 12 or whatever it'd still be UGA and Bama as the best teams. I know people don't like the term "eye test" but it should be obvious to anyone who's watched college football this year that Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams. If anyone one besides them were to win the NC that imo is a disservice to college football.
You’re right. I can’t argue with the eye test and the results. It’s just getting old having the southeast US and Alabama domination of the sport. It was more fun when there was some drama and randomness around the end of the season. Hopefully we cycle back into national parity when Saban hangs it up.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think that is a one act play, only needed infrequently. The argument that "hey, we think Team A is better but Team B will help avoid eventual stagnation" should be very low on the criteria for selecting teams and seeds.

But realignment is all about ratings, so perhaps we should prioritize ratings that much though,
I don't disagree with that. Picking a team because of ratings is a bad idea. The answer is an expanded playoff, pure and simple. Give me 12 teams and a 4 round tournament. Yes, Alabama will still be there most years, but there are more opportunities for better games in the tournament.

Reactions: WhoISthis

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Well the hope by expanding is maybe hopefully evening out the recruiting pool slightly? Not sure if that would happen or not, but since the Playoff went to 4, we’ve pretty much gotten a yearly playoff of Clemson, Alabama, and Ohio State plus insert an LSU, Georgia, or OU here and there.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Well at least this frees up a night for me because Im not watching another SEC/ESPN lovefest. Of the 16 CFP finals teams, 12 of them have been Alabama, Clemson or Georgia. Same sh** different year.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAgronomist

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
We need expansion now…this is brutal
I'm ok with an 8 team playoff, 5 conference winners, 2 at-large, and 1 G5 team. The only problem is you'll still get beatdowns like this in quarter and semi-finals.

The 2 teams that end up making the championship game every year jsut seem like they are on a different level compared to everyone else.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don't disagree with that. Picking a team because of ratings is a bad idea. The answer is an expanded playoff, pure and simple. Give me 12 teams and a 4 round tournament. Yes, Alabama will still be there most years, but there are more opportunities for better games in the tournament.
At 12, you're likely in a tier of teams in which you don't need to worry about weighting the various metrics.
Also a huge amount of teams still thinking they can make the CFP much later into the season, and some will be new. Bama will still have the best odds, but adding another round could mean an A&M game happens.