2018 Taxes

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have no idea how this will affect us because I sold an investment property at a huge loss. It's going to be hard for me to know if my refund is based on that loss or the tax changes. We always itemized and either got back or paid in around $500/year. This year I'm hoping to get back about $7,500 due to the business loss.

Edit - I've gathered everyone on CF is wealthy.

I’m not. I blew all of my money on a Porsche and a range and bought a house that was way over budget. Also I pay a holding fee to guarantee my kid will get a spot in private school in two years. I could be wealthy if I lived like a ***** but I’m from the streets.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The average person will have no idea how to comprehend whether it helped them or not strictly due to lack of understanding how taxes work. Getting a refund in 2017 and not getting a refund in 2018 does not mean the tax changes didn't help you. Most people will have exactly zero understanding of that.

Low income earners who expect gigantic refunds are going to be an accountant's worst nightmare this year because it's very possible their $8,000 expected refund is going to fall because they had less withholding during the year (and therefore more money in their pockets) but that extra $100/mo lowers their refund to $6,800. Timing of the cash flow changed...the amount didn't. They're going to say the new tax law "hurt" them.

I agree with this in principle. But the IRS is who made adjsutments to their tables. So even if you didn't change any deductions, your situation changed. I don't think most people really understood it.

The cynic in me would say that they were politically motivated to be aggressive in those adjustments to get folks a bigger impact on their paychecks in an election year. Now, people are realizing that extra money on their paycheck wasn't as real as they thought.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
My former employer would not mail them out until the first full week of Feb.

Then they were not complying with the law...at least as it stands today.

You said "former employer" so maybe the law was different back then but I don't believe it has changed anytime in the near past.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I agree with this in principle. But the IRS is who made adjsutments to their tables. So even if you didn't change any deductions, your situation changed. I don't think most people really understood it.

The cynic in me would say that they were politically motivated to be aggressive in those adjustments to get folks a bigger impact on their paychecks in an election year. Now, people are realizing that extra money on their paycheck wasn't as real as they thought.

The IRS can't make any adjustment if not mandated somehow by law. We all love to hate on the IRS, but they are only following what is handed to them by the congress/Prez.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
woof i got ******* rekt on my taxes. **** being a single filing, student, renter.

abd4cy

Jul 16, 2010
Phoenix
I'm in sales and incur a lot of expenses that my employer doesnt reimburse. They took away the write offs for miles and other expenses. Fortunately I still wont have to pay in, but my return is about 5K less than normal. Without that deduction it is better for me to take the standard deduction for the first time in my life. Fortunately I got married this past year or I would owe thousands. Needless to say I'm not happy about it. I read it affects close to 14 million people that didnt know about it, like myself.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Then they were not complying with the law...at least as it stands today.

You said "former employer" so maybe the law was different back then but I don't believe it has changed anytime in the near past.

10-ish years ago. Somehow it was always dated 1/31 but not actually mailed until a few days into February. One year we didnt receive them until 2/10. Something about their payroll processor and an agreement they had where ours could be the last ones processed or something like that.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
10-ish years ago. Somehow it was always dated 1/31 but not actually mailed until a few days into February. One year we didnt receive them until 2/10. Something about their payroll processor and an agreement they had where ours could be the last ones processed or something like that.
If you have a postage machine it isn't hard to do.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
If you have a postage machine it isn't hard to do.

Yeah that's actually what they were doing. Didnt really understand why they were doing it but whatever. Not like it really mattered.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
If it makes anyone feel better, I just realized the last two years I'd been putting my total wages where my wages minus the pre tax deductions should have gone. So...I overpaid by almost $7k... Because I'm an idiot. I was gathering my wages from my last pay stub and entering in the number before I got my w2. And I guess never checking. Oh well. I have two nice amended returns coming!

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Still striving towards my goal of the perfect tax return ($0 refund/$0 owed). One of these years I’ll get it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Tailg8er

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
That will only work for simple returns. If you're itemizing deductions, have investment income, etc you will need to do some window shopping to find the best deal.
I itemized last year with them free of charge. I don’t have any capital gains so that may well be something they charge for

Looking at the supported forms this year it does look like Schedule A got moved to a paid tier. That kinda sucks, but filing joint I won’t beat the standard deduction anymore anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: benjay

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’m not. I blew all of my money on a Porsche and a range and bought a house that was way over budget. Also I pay a holding fee to guarantee my kid will get a spot in private school in two years. I could be wealthy if I lived like a ***** but I’m from the streets.

I see you subscribe to the Rave Damsey philosophy

• Funny
Reactions: SpokaneCY