2014 Businesses closing stores or shutting down in Iowa

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Could just be location issues with some of the chains. I'm surprised Radio Shack has stayed open this long as well as Staples ridiculous prices. On-line sites like Amazon, TigerDirect, NewEgg killing those stores. Surprised Sears closed. As beat up and trashed out as Southridge mall became in Des Moines it still kept Sears and Yonkers. I've ordered tons of stuff from Amazon.com at cheaper prices than local stores with real fast delivery.

Last edited:

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I had heard that Red Lobster in West Des Moines was closing. I can't find anything online so I'm starting to think it was just a rumor..

I can't see that happening. It's always packed. Surprised there isn't two or three Red Lobsters. There use to be one up off 86th and Hickman years ago in Des Moines.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
I always enjoyed stopping at the Walmart in Ames to pick up a few things. Seemed really clean and organized. I unfortunately go to the Walmart on the southside in Des Moines and you have to get geared up physically and mentally before going, it's like a 3rd world country and I've seen some crazy °°°° at that store. The place is filthy, the carts are beat to hell with wheels that barely move. It can be entertaining if your in the right mind set I guess.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Was the Long John Silvers in Ames very good. I'm surprised the one on Fleur Drive in Des Moines is still open. Never see very many cars. It seems older folks like LJS. The place scares me. Never know how long the grease drenched fish had been under the heat lamps.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah, they sure took a nose dive. Just like Southroads in Bellevue and perhaps Crossroads in Omaha.

The open air shopping centers are the in thing and the two in Council Bluffs along with Mall of the Bluff anchors moving to the open air shopping centers killed the mall.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm trying to remember the last time I thought to myself "I should go to K-Mart to pick that up."

I also hate trying to get in and out of that area of Collins. Much easier to go to Target on Blair's Ferry.

Only time I have gone to K-Mart in Ames within the last year was to do Black Friday shopping, because nobody was there.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Was the Long John Silvers in Ames very good. I'm surprised the one on Fleur Drive in Des Moines is still open. Never see very many cars. It seems older folks like LJS. The place scares me. Never know how long the grease drenched fish had been under the heat lamps.
Were any LJS' ever any good? The one in Fort Dodge smelled like my high school football locker room after two-a-days.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I must have Alzheimer's because my memory of this thread from yesterday does not seem to be in alignment with the current version of this thread.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Exactly. I'm not sure why RS thought they could pull business from the other already-existing 10 cell phone stores in the strip mall. Another issue is that they often were/are charging much higher prices for the electronic components and the like than what you can find online. That's probably due to their commission structure and overhead for their retail spaces.

There is a market for the "non-flashy" items that RS used to be known for (i.e. soldering irons and supplies, connectors, antennas, electronics cable, multimeters, small fuses, GMRS radios, electronic timers, AC adapters, weather radios, etc.). 10-15 years ago, you wouldn't find these things at a Lowes or Home Depot, but you find them there now, presumably because there is a market for them. The selection isn't always great, but they have something anyway. However, I don't think that market is big enough to support a high-overhead store in every mall/strip mall, especially a store that is poorly stocked and selling those items at an inflated price.

Maybe 10-15 years ago, before Home Depot and Lowes were carrying the above mentioned items, RS should have tried to partner up with one of them for some aisle space to open a small RS store inside, instead of trying to become another cell phone store.

Now that I think about it, their name probably doesn't help either. Most kids under 15 are probably asking, "What's a radio?"

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
And another

The Felix & Oscar’s Restaurant and Pub in West Des Moines, known for its deep dish pizza, closed on Sunday

Ciclone

May 5, 2008
Clive
And another

The Felix & Oscar’s Restaurant and Pub in West Des Moines, known for its deep dish pizza, closed on Sunday

I still miss Buca in that location, although I didn't like it as much when they changed their menu.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I always enjoyed stopping at the Walmart in Ames to pick up a few things. Seemed really clean and organized. I unfortunately go to the Walmart on the southside in Des Moines and you have to get geared up physically and mentally before going, it's like a 3rd world country and I've seen some crazy °°°° at that store. The place is filthy, the carts are beat to hell with wheels that barely move. It can be entertaining if your in the right mind set I guess.

You have to be geared up to go to any Walmart in the Des Moines Metro. I pretty much refuse to step into one.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Cedar Rapid's last K-Mart closed last fall. Hard to believe the second largest city in Iowa no longer has a K-Mart but K-Mart is doing terrible as a company so it's not surprising.

That particular store would have closed no matter where it was located. I felt like I needed a shower and an anti-depressant every time I walked out of there. It was like a musty dungeon.

If I was going to give the City of Cedar Rapids an enema I would have put the hose right in the front door of that place.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Only time I have gone to K-Mart in Ames within the last year was to do Black Friday shopping, because nobody was there.

Real conversation between cashier and lady in front of me at K-Mart the last time I was there:

Lady: How are you guys still open? I don't ever see anyone in here.
Cashier: Oh, there are people in here most of the time especially on weekends.
Lady: Huh. Interesting. I just never see many people in here when I come.

My wife's theory is that K-Mart stays open due to back to school shopping and overflow on days like Black Friday. I think I saw something in the WSJ saying that corporate debt is helping companies like Sears as well as having services like lay-away which a lot other retailers have shied away from in recent years.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Long John Silvers partnered up with A&W on Douglas near my place. Seems to be working so far. Business seems to have picked up a bit. Just had an A&W cheeseburger a couple Sundays ago and was pleasantly surprised.

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
The K-Mart in Ames has been having a going out of business sale since 1999...somehow just keeps going.

Cedar Rapid's last K-Mart closed last fall. Hard to believe the second largest city in Iowa no longer has a K-Mart but K-Mart is doing terrible as a company so it's not surprising.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron