Sbarro
Staples
Carlo's O' Kellys
Radio shack?
Sears in Dubuque
K Mart in Mason City

Any others?

Everything must go: There's a flood of store closings - Mar. 7, 2014

Part of the problem for stores is that there is just too much retail space in many markets. There are about 46 square feet of retail space for every man, woman and child in the United States, according to Robin Lewis, CEO of The Robin Report, a retail strategy newsletter. That's five times the space than in any other country,

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
LJS in Ames

darth_vader_nooo_7675.jpeg

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
With these companies in particular, there are just too many companies that do what they do better, cheaper, with more quality or more convenient. The internet has had to hurt places like Radio Shack, Sears and American and there is just no place for crappy chain resturants anymore.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Cedar Rapid's last K-Mart closed last fall. Hard to believe the second largest city in Iowa no longer has a K-Mart but K-Mart is doing terrible as a company so it's not surprising.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Cedar Rapid's last K-Mart closed last fall. Hard to believe the second largest city in Iowa no longer has a K-Mart but K-Mart is doing terrible as a company so it's not surprising.

I'm surprised that the one in WDM is still open. That parking lot always seems empty.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
I wish Ames K-Mart would close so they could put the Menards there instead of trying to put it in a flood plain with Dinosaurs...

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
The Sears store in the Coral-Ridge mall just shut down this winter too. Wonder what's going on with them.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
With these companies in particular, there are just too many companies that do what they do better, cheaper, with more quality or more convenient. The internet has had to hurt places like Radio Shack, Sears and American and there is just no place for crappy chain resturants anymore.

If you don't change and adapt to the ever-changing customer needs/wants, it's just a matter of time before you'll fail. Foor food, it seems the trendy spots are semi-fast food with good quality ingredients. Places like Chipotle, Smashburger, etc.

ThurgoodMarshal

Jul 18, 2011
Ankeny, IA
I had heard that Red Lobster in West Des Moines was closing. I can't find anything online so I'm starting to think it was just a rumor..

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
The Sears store in the Coral-Ridge mall just shut down this winter too. Wonder what's going on with them.

The Sears at Lindale Mall in CR is an absolutely dump. It feels like they aren't even trying any longer. Eddie Lampert who bought Kmart/Sears has just killed them. It's sad because I used to buy a lot from Sears. Tools and occasionally clothes, but it's apparent walking in that the store is not being properly maintained.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron