2014 Albums of the Year

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
How do you guys digest albums? Before I had kids/general responsibility, I could sit and plug in a CD (remember those?) and listen to it from start to finish while really doing nothing else - maybe read a magazine or paper cover-to-cover. Anymore it seems like the only time I get to myself is when I'm in the car, and that's usually only in 15 minutes spurts so I can't get into an album that way.

Also, I know the Taylor Swift was meant in jest but that Shake It Off song is damn catchy. I'll admit that my younger daughters and I danced to it in Kohl's last week, waiting for the oldest one who's 8 to finish trying on clothes.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
A lot of repeats, but my short list for the year:

Jack White - Lazaretto
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Beck - Morning Phase
Hiss Golden Messenger - Lateness of Dancers
St. Paul and the Broken Bones - Half the City
Spoon - They Want My Soul

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
How do you guys digest albums? Before I had kids/general responsibility, I could sit and plug in a CD (remember those?) and listen to it from start to finish while really doing nothing else - maybe read a magazine or paper cover-to-cover. Anymore it seems like the only time I get to myself is when I'm in the car, and that's usually only in 15 minutes spurts so I can't get into an album that way.

Also, I know the Taylor Swift was meant in jest but that Shake It Off song is damn catchy. I'll admit that my younger daughters and I danced to it in Kohl's last week, waiting for the oldest one who's 8 to finish trying on clothes.

This is why I do not want a girl. Please God give me sons so I can throw my love of classic rock/rock in their face.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Coldplay - ghost stories
Tweedy - Sukierae
Beck - morning phase
Taylor Swift - 1989 (don't judge but I got this for my daughter and I'll be damned if it isn't the best pop album I've heard in years - she's the real deal)

Once again was disappointed in Drive By Truckers...just not the same band without Isbell.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
This is why I do not want a girl. Please God give me sons so I can throw my love of classic rock/rock in their face.
Don't count out girls, my 6yo daughter loves The Black Keys.

We very rarely buy entire albums any more. I think the only ones we bought this year were Jack White, Arctic Monkeys and The Neighbourhood.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Agree. Our 4-year-old asks to listen to Muse, The Beastie Boys, and Beck. She also likes Jimi.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...

We very rarely buy entire albums any more. I think the only ones we bought this year were Jack White, Arctic Monkeys and The Neighbourhood.

Agree. Our 4-year-old asks to listen to Muse, The Beastie Boys, and Beck. She also likes Jimi.

Well then they are probably the most kick *** four and six year olds around! I of course would instill rock into "my daughter's" brain but at some point it's inevitable that they listen to garb like Taylor Swift or One Direction or the Dixie Chicks or crap like my wife listens to.

WAP311

Jul 17, 2012
Waukee
311 - Stereolythic and Grieves - Winter and the Wolves. Although I've listened to a lot of songs I've liked this year, these are the only two albums I've brought myself to purchase as a whole. I did just buy The Matches - EVDKTM Ten year reunion show live album but haven't listened to it all yet and plan on buying the new Foo Fighters.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
I went to Firefly music festival this summer so I got into a lot of "lesser known up and coming bands"

A few:

The Colourist
Magic Man
MisterWives
Smallpools
Bronze Radio Return
Hunter Hunted
Little Comets
Royal Teeth

I'd also like to add:

Walk the Moon
Black Keys (my favorite band, couldn't leave them out)
Taking Back Sunday
Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness (Jack's Mannequin/Something Corporate...just with a new name)

Last edited:

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I'm going to throw Machine Head's "Bloodstone & Diamonds" out there. Maybe not best album, but their single "Now We Die" should be in the discussion. I love how they have a symphonic backdrop for the bridge. It's a nice touch for a metal song.

I also second Slipknot's ".5: The Gray Chapter"

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I'll have to check this out...love these guys. I discovered them on Pandora on my The Sword station. Really want to see a new Sword record in '15.

I liked Beck's Morning Phase. It's a folksier version of Sea Change which is my favorite Beck record.

Of course I have to pimp Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks Wig Out at Jagbags. That band always delivers.

I really liked The War On Drug Lost In The Dream. Didn't think I would but it's very good.

Electric Wizard recently announced US tour dates for early 2015!!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Well then they are probably the most kick *** four and six year olds around! I of course would instill rock into "my daughter's" brain but at some point it's inevitable that they listen to garb like Taylor Swift or One Direction or the Dixie Chicks or crap like my wife listens to.

Now, she still has learned "Shake It Off" from the girls at preschool, so she WILL sing that. And she knows every word of "Let It Go." But they definitely can like cool stuff, too!

ISUCHIEF

Feb 4, 2008
CB
In no specific order, I have liked:
Chevelle - La Gargola
Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways
Slash ft. Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators - World on Fire
Dierks Bentley - Riser
The Pretty Reckless - Going to Hell

Just saw these 2 in concert and worth checking out if you haven't heard of them:
Arson City - Not Coming Home EP
Otherwise - Peace at All Costs

Albums I still want to check out:
In This Moment - Black Widow
Royal Blood - Royal Blood
Soundgarden - Echo of Miles

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron