2009 VEISHEA - April 13-19

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Organizers blamed the lackluster attendance this year on the cold.

Or maybe they should go back to their offices and recount how many wristbands are still in the boxes. Here's to hoping they get rid of the wristbands.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I wonder if an average of 2.5 letters per day to the editor this week about how Veishea sucked and the committee should apologize have anything to do with it.

Aldude505

Jan 19, 2008
Iowa Falls
The wristbands were a bad idea and I think the committee got that, lets just be thankful that they had some sense in their heads to make it at least plausible that we would have nice weather. If anyone from the VIESHEA committee is out there, we don't mind paying for concerts, but at least give us something to pay for. I think to play at VEISHEA you should of least had an album in this decade. Just a thought though....

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
The wristbands were a bad idea and I think the committee got that, lets just be thankful that they had some sense in their heads to make it at least plausible that we would have nice weather. If anyone from the VIESHEA committee is out there, we don't mind paying for concerts, but at least give us something to pay for. I think to play at VEISHEA you should of least had an album in this decade. Just a thought though....

I don't think having a 90s band was a bad idea, it's just the idea of paying for them. If it's a more recent band, fine, the wristband idea is golden... but Eve 6? Not so much.

clonefan_80

May 28, 2007
Ames
No one likes it when something that was free suddenly isn't, obviously like the concerts with the wristbands. However, I don't think the wristbands were the worst idea of VEISHEA. The worst ideas were moving the date up a couple weeks and booking terrible bands. I heard rumors earlier this spring that Big n Rich were coming to VEISHEA. I would have definitely bought a wristband then. Also, if it wasn't pushed a week earlier and I knew I wasn't going to freeze to death would have definitely helped in pushing me to go. One week can obviously make a huge difference with this Iowa weather.

cyclonewinger

Apr 16, 2008
Ames, Ia
i would hoipe they would get rid of the wristbands, but would find a happy medium if they kept them and charged us the 5 dollars for the weekend, but didn't keep a set limit on how many ppl can go to the concert.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
i would hoipe they would get rid of the wristbands, but would find a happy medium if they kept them and charged us the 5 dollars for the weekend, but didn't keep a set limit on how many ppl can go to the concert.

I would be fine with that. As long as they can use that money and get a couple "big/decent" bands here.

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
Why are 5 dollar wristbands a big deal? Many people will go to a bar for some no name band and pay 3-10 bucks for cover.

It cost 12 bucks for Star over Veishea...Why didn't people boycott that?

The athletic department does the same thing to students by limiting the number of tickets...why don't we complain about that?

It was 5 dollars to see some good bands.Maybe not your top notch bands, but those bands are not going to come here if ISU can't sell 7000 tickets/wristbands.

Wristbands were not a bad idea, they got what they wanted. They offered good bands for a cheap price, but their free events were very successful (minus the weather ) and there was not anything that really could've been out of control this year like the thousands of people at the Mike Jones concert or Chris Cagle and Story of the Year concerts.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Why are 5 dollar wristbands a big deal? Many people will go to a bar for some no name band and pay 3-10 bucks for cover.

It cost 12 bucks for Star over Veishea...Why didn't people boycott that?

The athletic department does the same thing to students by limiting the number of tickets...why don't we complain about that?

Because 7,000 student tickets out of 26,000 students (5,000 of which are grad students who, for the most part, don't buy student tickets) isn't anywhere NEAR the same as 7,000 wristbands for 26,000 students + 14,000 faculty/staff + who knows how many alumni are out there. Not to mention that there are well over 7,000 people who want to attend these concerts--including the friends of ISU students, faculty, staff, alumni, etc. In the meantime, student football tickets have rarely sold out--the demand hasn't been there while at VEISHEA the demand to see shows has been high for years. IIRC, there were no space constraints on central campus other than Beardshear, Curtiss, and Catt Halls which left plenty of room for both concert-goers and wanderers. There are space constraints in a stadium.

It was 5 dollars to see some good bands.Maybe not your top notch bands, but those bands are not going to come here if ISU can't sell 7000 tickets/wristbands.

Very few people were upset at the $5 charge for wristbands. They were upset that they limited the wristbands to 7,000 students, faculty, staff, and alumni.

Bands won't come here unless we sell $5 wristbands? Really? Did we sell wristbands for Mike Jones, Chris Cagle, Story of the Year in 2007? Nappy Roots, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Stroke 9 in 2006? Pretty sure they all came here without anything being sold.

The committee failed the students this year.
epic.jpg

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I would have to disagree with the post about 85% not buying tickets.

The 85% number is a bit misleading. If the weekend was 70 degrees no matter what band or what the cost a decent amount of students still would have shown up.

With that being said, I agree the location and wristband sale is a bad idea. If there are any future VEISHEA committee members out there take note. *from a committee alum

1. Put the concerts back on central campus.

2. Charge $5 through 1 or 2 entry points until late in the headliners set.

3. Open up the gates for mass exit when the sales stop.

4. Go for 2 better headliners at $25k a pop. Rather than 4 at $10-20k . . . (Start the search in August)*key

I can't blame this years plan though. They had to try the sales due to the budget getting slashed. I'm estatic about the decision to move it back and can't wait till next year!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Charge for first time, book unknowns, move to colder weather, spread the word. Recipe for business disaster. Pig in a Poke?