2004 MBB ISU at KU game.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
I'm trying to remember something from this game. I'm not even totally sure it was 2004. I remember Homan shooting a free throw, it was supposed to be two shots. He missed the first shot, KU grabbed the rebound, went down and made a 3.

I remember Homan just kind of standing at the free throw line like, what the heck? Seems like this sparked a run for KU and killed the momentum we had built up.

Seems like Morgan even got a Technical in this game.

Anyone remember the details of this and could help clear it up for me? Teams get hosed so much down there it's sometimes hard to keep track...

Oh, and I'm sorry for digging up bad memories.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Probably one of the worst officiating jobs on that play in the history of athletics. Seriously.

We had 2 shots...after the first (a miss) KU took the ball down and nailed an easy 3 when we should have had a 2nd free throw. Refs had their heads up their rears and didn't stop play.

Not only that, they didn't correct it either.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Yep, I was there. Tommy O'Neill with another great moment in his reffing career. I think we ended up losing in OT but it was a heck of an effort by ISU.

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
Very bad memories, I had to buy a dreamcatcher to keep away the refs...I mean demons from that one.

Clone Fan

Mar 27, 2006
Ames, IA
I was at the game. Homan shot the first free throw and missed. KU went down shot a 3 (JR Giddens I think) and made it. They then counted the 3 and game Homan another free throw. Worst call in the history of basketball.....

Also we lost in OT.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
I swear we have to revisit this every year we play at KU...LOL

Sorry for being the first person to post a question about something someone talked about 11 months ago dude.

To everyone else, thanks for responding. I couldn't remember the situation for the life of me. I thought I had the game on tape but couldn't find it last night in my archives.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Just be glad that game was not in Hilton when that call happened because I can bet you there would have been things thrown onto the floor when it was announced that the 3 pointer would count. That was possibly the single most bizzare call I have ever seen in any sport. Looking back I wonder if ISU could have (or did they?) played the game under protest or something, it baffles me how when it was a dead ball that shot still counted. Might as well try it every time a FT is up if it can right? There was an NBA game this year that they had to replay the last 90 seconds of a game at a later date I believe because of a protest of something that happened.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wasn't the 3 disputed, too? I seem to remember Giddens' foot being on the line when he shot it.

I believe the disputed 3 was late in the 2nd half, or possibly in OT. Foot looked to be on the line, but, of course, give him all three.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There was an NBA game this year that they had to replay the last 90 seconds of a game at a later date I believe because of a protest of something that happened.

Hawks and Heat will replay the last ~53 seconds because the official scorer incorrectly credited Shaq with his 6th foul. He should have had 5, and still been in the game. It may not matter, since Shaq is injured again anyway.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
I think these types of calls happen a lot at Duke home games...anyone else notice the homer calls Duke gets night in and out when playing at home... They have a serious home floor advantage like no other.

Z

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Really, the call that was back breaking was the three that Langford hit at the end of regulation to send it in to overtime. Considering he had half a foot over the line. Espcially painful when it could have been reviewd on the monitor.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
I think we should take the ball at every time out and run down and dunk it. We might as well take advantage of dead ball situations to get as many points as possible.

How mentally challenged does a group of officials have to be to allow points scored during a dead ball situation to remain on the scoreboard?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
In the end, I believe the refs were backed up as being correct. Correct in that they couldn't take the points off the scoreboard after they had already allowed KU to make the basket. They weren't correct in allowing them to attempt the shot.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Big 12 came out and said that allowing the points was correct (of course), and cited an ambiguous rule about correctable errors.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I have brought up this game a number of time to KU fans they don't remember it and think it never happened. KU fans don't acknowledge that ISU can win or play a close game in PAF.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
From the AP story:

There was a bizarre officiating error in the first half. Homan went to the free throw line and missed, then Kansas rebounded and all the players rushed down court, where Giddens put in a 3-pointer for a 37-24 lead. Then officials called a timeout and decided that Homan should have had a second free throw.

Giddens' 3-pointer was counted as Homan went to the line and made his next free throw.

"I am not allowed to talk about that, but I have never seen a situation where there was a two-shot foul, with the player missing the first and the other team rebounds and goes down and scores," Morgan said.