$200 headphones, what do they do?

resident

Nov 13, 2006
seattle
I've been meaning to look into this more but haven't got around to it. I know there are a lot of systems out there that claim to have lossless transmission over wireless but I don't know how reliable their claims are.

Are you serious? Audio over Bluetooth has been a mainstream thing for almost a decade now...

Analog wireless on the other hand is garbage.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you serious? Audio over Bluetooth has been a mainstream thing for almost a decade now...

Analog wireless on the other hand is garbage.
Uh yeah of course I know that. I'm talking about true lossless transmission where no audio information is lost. As in if I play 16 or 24 bit audio will it be transmitted exactly as if it was transmitted over wires. Like I said I wasn't sure.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Exactly, why don't they just put the boom box on their shoulder? I'll tell you why, kids these days are lazy. They don't want to lug around a 40lb boom box on their shoulder. Well boo hoo! That's what we did and we liked it!

/End fake old guy rant

BOOM-BOX-copy1.jpg

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Good headphones do make a difference. If you're listening to rap, anything will do because you most likely aren't listening to much but the bass.

Did I do it right? But seriously, rap sucks.

Actually, you did it wrong. The cheapo headphones' biggest weakness is bass.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
If you're looking at headphones anywhere beyond a price point of $60 or so and especially when you're into the $100-300 price range, comfort ought to be as big of a selling point for you as the sound quality.

It doesn't matter if it's the best audio quality you've ever heard if you can't wear it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Also, Grado or GTFO

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
I have the Audio Technicas ATH-M50s. They are great pair of headphones, though they are not the most comfortable. They have a kind of tight pleather seal around the ears which can get quite warm after long use. They sound great, and for the $100-120 price range they are among the best in sound quality. I have heard great things about Sennheiser. Also Beyerdynamic is supposed to be a great brand and has a large range of quality and prices.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
So where have people gone to take headphones for a test drive? Guitar Center has some. Best Buy and Target half the demos are broken. Suggestions?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I have a pair of Bose noise cancellation headphones for flying and sometimes zoning out.... They are pretty awesome when you turn them on. It basically runs sound waves that counteract outside noise so you can't hear anything other than what you want to hear. I love them.

I got a pair of Bose bluetooth headphones for christmas. cost about 250 i think. Can listen wired or charge the headphones so you can listen wireless. Good investment so far...

Help Support Us

Become a patron