$200 headphones, what do they do?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
The only thing I'd pay more for is noise cancellation. Great for riding in planes or mowing the lawn.

Other than that, you're listening to compressed audio in most cases (MP3 or AAC). There's a limit to how good it can sound. IMO, there's nothing a $200 pair of headphones can do (besides noise cancellation) better than a $30 pair of JVC or Sony earbuds from Walmart.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The only thing I'd pay more for is noise cancellation. Great for riding in planes or mowing the lawn.

Other than that, you're listening to compressed audio in most cases (MP3 or AAC). There's a limit to how good it can sound. IMO, there's nothing a $200 pair of headphones can do (besides noise cancellation) better than a $30 pair of JVC or Sony earbuds from Walmart.

I'm glad to hear people only talking about using the noise canceling headphones for limited applications. I'm going to preach a little here, but please, please, please do not wear them all the time. You need to be able to hear to keep yourself safe in most situations like crossing streets, going out for a run or bike ride, even walking down a city street alone. Please make sure you are reminding your kids, friends or anyone else you care about if they have them. I know the regular ones are bad enough when people wear them while riding or running. They rarely hear the traffic cues to keep them safe. Noise canceling headphones in the wrong application are a recipe for disaster.

By the way, I borrowed my brother's Bose NC headphones for a flight. That was the easiest flight of my life. It is amazing what that constant noise takes out of you after only a few hours.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Allow you to brag to other people with expensive headphones.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
If you think they sound good, buy them. If you think they make you feel cool, buy them. Unless you're mixing beats in your basement studio, is it really going to ruin your music listening experience?

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
I got a pair of earbuds with my S4. Them little buggers are pretty damn decent. I had a pair of skull candy ones that were ok, but one of our ferrets chewed them in half, RIP. (The headphones, not the ferret)

Heilsqauvador

Aug 21, 2011
Hampton, IA
If you get your music by downloading youtube video audio you're going to have a bad time. There is no salvaging poor quality sound files with fancy headphones.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I'll add another vote for Sennheiser. I have a pair of HD280s that I like a lot. They do a great job of blocking out external sound, and since they go around the ear rather than on top of the ear (i.e., they don't press on your ears) they're really comfortable for long periods of time.

We use HD-280s in all our DJ systems. The sound quality is fantastic and the isolation they provide is VERY impressive. I've forgotten the exact spec, but the external noise attenuation is higher than many (most?) hearing protector earmuffs.

When I bought my first pair about 10 years ago, I tried them out on a few of my favorite CDs and heard things I'd never noticed before. Definitely made me a believer. But they're not $200, so maybe that doesn't exactly count.

IMO Sennheiser is a really great company all around. When headphones get used as much as ours the metal in the head bands will eventually fatigue and break, and I was actually able to buy replacement bands rather than having to throw them away and buy new. Their wireless mics are also top notch quality and made in the USA.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I disagree with your statement about good headphones, I use my Sennheiser momentums 8 hrs a day. Really happy with that purchase.

If anyone is looking for Noise Canceling, try these before the Bose QuiteComforts: Amazon.com: Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling Closed-Back Headphones: Electronics I have a pair that I use for plane rides. Worth the price on one transatlantic alone.

ktoddcyclones

Oct 31, 2007
Columbus Junction, IA
If you're looking for high quality sound without breaking the bank, I'd also recommend Audio Technica as a brand. I have the ATH-M30's and it's a really high quality headset.

That being said, yes Beats by Dre are extremely overrated as far as sound quality is concerned. They do look cool though :)

I have the ATH-M50's, great sound quality. Audio Technica is high quality. The only drawback is that they come with a 10 foot cord, which can get kind of annoying.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I have Sennheiser earbuds, Amazon.com: Sennheiser CX 300B MK II Precision Enhanced Bass Earbuds (Black): Electronics. Sound awesome. $30. Fit good too.

I have the Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments like 10-15 years old and is the same model still sold. Really good sound separation - you can hear all the instruments clearly, but a little harsh for listening compared to Sennheiser. Can lead to ear fatigue.

Sennheisers are the best imo for just listening. If you shop carefully, you can get what you pay for in improved performance. I like the relatively inexpensive Sennheiser's above to over ear phones for ipod when out.

If you can find a store to go and listen to them, that's always best bet. Take your ipod and play a variety of favorites. What you like best may be totally different than recommendations here.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I have Sennheiser earbuds, Amazon.com: Sennheiser CX 300B MK II Precision Enhanced Bass Earbuds (Black): Electronics. Sound awesome. $30. Fit good too.

I have the Amazon.com: Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone: Musical Instruments like 10-15 years old and is the same model still sold. Really good sound separation - you can hear all the instruments clearly, but a little harsh for listening compared to Sennheiser. Can lead to ear fatigue.

Sennheisers are the best imo for just listening. If you shop carefully, you can get what you pay for in improved performance. I like the relatively inexpensive Sennheiser's above to over ear phones for ipod when out.

If you can find a store to go and listen to them, that's always best bet. Take your ipod and play a variety of favorites. What you like best may be totally different than recommendations here.
Ooh, you may have just given me an idea of what to ask for for Christmas this year. My current ear buds aren't doing so hot.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
wear earbuds all the time at the office when I'm doing something repetitive and want to try and drown out the elevator music.

Same here. I have noise-cancelling ones because I sit just a few feet away from the elevator. The "ding" is ridiculously loud.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I use the Beats ear buds M-F for 5-7 hours a day and they are by far the best ear buds I've ever owned. They came with my HTC Rezound phone. I've got several other Sony, Klipsch, etc. and the Beats blow the others away. I cannot vouch for the over the hear version though.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I use my EarPods. I hear music and that's all I need. I know they suck but everyone tells me that and I don't care. I look at it like golf clubs. I like to have high quality clubs. The guy who doesn't play much or is just out to drink beer probably doesn't care so why would he spend the money? Then there are the people who still don't know what they are doing but still spent a bunch of money on something to make them look different than they actually are.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I use the Beats ear buds M-F for 5-7 hours a day and they are by far the best ear buds I've ever owned. They came with my HTC Rezound phone. I've got several other Sony, Klipsch, etc. and the Beats blow the others away. I cannot vouch for the over the hear version though.

I had a pair of those from my Rezound too. They were head and shoulders better than my other earbuds. Great earbuds but a horrible phone.

Unfortunately my my Beats earbuds shorted out on one side 2 months after warranty. So now they sit in a drawer next to a pair of shorted out 20 dollar ones.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Headphone quality really matters. The "Beats" headphones are for suckers, but there are a ton of great pairs out there that won't set you back too far.

Sennheiser is a good brand and if you're at the absolute entry level, these are a good place to start.

If you are looking for really nice headphones, you can get great value in this pair, which is probably worth 2-3x as much as you'll pay for them.

If you like music and listen to it with headphones often, it is definitely worth your money to upgrade to a quality pair.

I love my Audi0 Technicas. Great bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron