$200 headphones, what do they do?

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This year I have seen several pairs of headphones on 'sale' for $200. What do they do that the $12 pair does not?

Let's Go State

Nov 6, 2007
West Coast (of Iowa)
I have a pair of Bose noise cancellation headphones for flying and sometimes zoning out.... They are pretty awesome when you turn them on. It basically runs sound waves that counteract outside noise so you can't hear anything other than what you want to hear. I love them.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Headphone quality really matters. The "Beats" headphones are for suckers, but there are a ton of great pairs out there that won't set you back too far.

Sennheiser is a good brand and if you're at the absolute entry level, these are a good place to start.

If you are looking for really nice headphones, you can get great value in this pair, which is probably worth 2-3x as much as you'll pay for them.

If you like music and listen to it with headphones often, it is definitely worth your money to upgrade to a quality pair.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Good headphones do make a difference. If you're listening to rap, anything will do because you most likely aren't listening to much but the bass.

Did I do it right? But seriously, rap sucks.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Headphone quality really matters. The "Beats" headphones are for suckers, but there are a ton of great pairs out there that won't set you back too far.

Sennheiser is a good brand and if you're at the absolute entry level, these are a good place to start.

If you are looking for really nice headphones, you can get great value in this pair, which is probably worth 2-3x as much as you'll pay for them.

If you like music and listen to it with headphones often, it is definitely worth your money to upgrade to a quality pair.
My Sennheiser headphones are one of the best purchases I've made. Awesome headphones for the money.

Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD428 Closed Circumaural Hi-Fi Headphone: Electronics

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
If you're looking for high quality sound without breaking the bank, I'd also recommend Audio Technica as a brand. I have the ATH-M30's and it's a really high quality headset.

That being said, yes Beats by Dre are extremely overrated as far as sound quality is concerned. They do look cool though :)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009