2 ISU FB players have Coronavirus

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The health officials/media were quick to blame the athletic department for the uptick of cases in young adults in Story County even though there are lots of other young adults in Story County doing all kinds of activities with much less structure. Some young adults are respecting Covid-19, but many are not. Athletics are a risk because of the type of activity they are but at least there is a system in place to try and mitigate that risk.

The article I read DID make it sound like our athletics department was caught off-guard when someone found out about the infections and asked them about it. Bad news only gets worse when someone else gets the chance to tell it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Call me crazy, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to base our health policies around keeping fans calm. Plus if the whole team comes down with it, you’ll see a real freak out and likely multiple players with dangerous effects.

Pretty sure neither of you have any hand in crafting health polices for our team. MOST of us are relieved that is the case.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
Funny how fast the Rag is to report on this. Coronavirus amongst ISU players will probably get more coverage and negativity than racism at Iowa.

no doubt.
I was GOING to say we have to trust the NCAA has the best interests of all student-athletes in mind then I threw up in my mouth a little.

THEN I remembered we have some of the finest men leading OUR programs who DO have the student athletes health and wellness at the top of THEIR list and I rest easy knowing they are in charge and NOBODY on this board.

Agree, I trust Pollard, Campbell and our medical staff.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Pretty sure neither of you have any hand in crafting health polices for our team. MOST of us are relieved that is the case.

Ok. What did you disagree with that I posted? Do you think we should base our plan around message board posters? Or do you think we should intentionally infect the entire team?

Pretty sure I didn’t recommend any policies. What are you complaining about exactly?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
$$ = resources = food, and shelter = survival, so yes. It turns out people need those things to live.

Money is needed for general human survival, true, but things like football that are there for our entertainment is not based on survival.

This is not for survival.

upload_2020-6-13_10-53-16.jpeg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
99% chance none of them even get sick, other than a slight cough or runny nose. Those of you who are still scared to go outside, stay in the closet and we will bring you more sun block to eat.

This bully mentality not only doesn't even come close to contributing to the conversation, but is a completely pathetic, false narrative and does nothing to help.

Same goes for saying if someone is positive with Covid, has a runny nose or cough, and isn't sick. That's factually incorrect.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Ok. What did you disagree with that I posted? Do you think we should base our plan around message board posters? Or do you think we should intentionally infect the entire team?

Pretty sure I didn’t recommend any policies. What are you complaining about exactly?

I think nobody on this board has the expertise or experience on anything virus related, or health policy related for our ISU athletes and both extremes just add more vitriol, emotion and uneducated opinions to the mix.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I think nobody on this board has the expertise or experience on anything virus related, or health policy related for our ISU athletes and both extremes just add more vitriol, emotion and uneducated opinions to the mix.

Yeah I agree. That’s why I’m confused why your post implied I was telling them how to handle policy. I was disagreeing with a poster who did.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Surely you have definitive proof that there's immunity and it lasts.

While immunity may not exist for those already infected. If someone has already had an infection the body remembers how to manufacture the antibodies.

So if someone has already had Covid their body will produce antibodies quicker the 2nd time around.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The article I read DID make it sound like our athletics department was caught off-guard when someone found out about the infections and asked them about it. Bad news only gets worse when someone else gets the chance to tell it.

I'm disappointed that Paschen's entirely speculative comments about ISU's possible handling of the situation were quoted and included in the story. But that's what happens when you're ISU and not Iowa.

Reactions: erinmd32

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Money is needed for general human survival, true, but things like football that are there for our entertainment is not based on survival.

This is not for survival.

View attachment 72762
The problem is, by that logic all non-essential businesses should stay shut down since they aren't needed for survival. How long should they stay shut down for? 18 months? Until we have a vaccine? We shut down non-essential businesses for 2-3 months (depending on the state) and it led to the fastest unemployment increase in known history and 20% unemployment. Imagine what that would look like with another 18 months.

Also, is playing football more dangerous than attending classes and living around campus in general for the athletes? I wouldn't think so.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
99% chance none of them even get sick, other than a slight cough or runny nose. Those of you who are still scared to go outside, stay in the closet and we will bring you more sun block to eat.
i prefer bleach

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I should have known better. I couldn’t get past the first page of this thread without stupidIty and willful ignorance tearing their heads.

Seriously. COVID-19 has been a real thing for at least six months now, and some people still haven’t bothered take the time to learn actual facts? :(

Reactions: cyfanatic

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron