2/11-12 Winter Weather Thread

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Agreed. I don't even have a snowblower. I chuckle at my neighbors who fire up their two-stage for 2 inches of snow. I best them with my shovel every time.

I used to have that opinion until I bought my most recent 2 stage a couple years ago. I've got about 150 feet of driveway and I used to shovel it when it was only a couple inches, but I have no regret over using the snow blower now. It's done in 15-20 minutes and my back doesn't hurt the rest of the day.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
It is nice to have both options. My snowblower crapped out and I'm still waiting for it to get repaired, so I've had to shovel everything that's fallen since Saturday night. Last night I thought I'd be smart and break the shoveling job into two sessions, so I was out at about 9 pm doing the first sweep. It was actually kind of nice. Not too cold or windy, very quiet. Made this morning a pretty easy affair, too. Neither pass took more than 40 minutes.

With all that said, it sure would have been nice to have had a snowblower blast it all out in one shot.
There are occasions that definitely call for a snow blower. I just know if I buy one it will stop snowing for 3 or 4 years. Hmmm maybe people would pay me to get one.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cybball37

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I used to have that opinion until I bought my most recent 2 stage a couple years ago. I've got about 150 feet of driveway and I used to shovel it when it was only a couple inches, but I have no regret over using the snow blower now. It's done in 15-20 minutes and my back doesn't hurt the rest of the day.

It is much easier on the back. The only drawback to the snowblower is how damn loud it is. I just need to invest in some good headphones.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
We received about 6" of snow last night, which is 6" more than my wife ended up getting last night :(

Gonna blow like a bastard this afternoon, schools are closed, businesses will be closing. If we get 40 mph winds with this light and fluffy snow, it's gonna be nasty out there.

Sounds like you have a great wife.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
It is much easier on the back. The only drawback to the snowblower is how damn loud it is. I just need to invest in some good headphones.

This is what I purchased because I hate the noise as well, and I couldn't be happier with it. I can actually talk (not scream) to someone as I'm standing next to it. I was a little skeptical, but the reviews were across the board good and totally correct.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ow-removal-and-equipment/snow-blowers/7403223

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Used to always hassle with a snowblower and got rid of it last year for no more frequently than we used it (average of twice a year the past 10 years). Went with a yard guy that does snowblowing at $25 per snow event. Even this year when we've had to use him 6 times already, he's far cheaper than maintenance, gas, hassle, etc.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Used to always hassle with a snowblower and got rid of it last year for no more frequently than we used it (average of twice a year the past 10 years). Went with a yard guy that does snowblowing at $25 per snow event. Even this year when we've had to use him 6 times already, he's far cheaper than maintenance, gas, hassle, etc.

That's kind of been my math on getting a new snowblower.

I've got a hand me down single stage snowblower that, while loud and probably not all that long for this world, does the job for most snows. Can always go out and do a pass of things early if its a big snow, which i've done this year so i've not called anyone in yet.

A new 2 stage starts at 800ish, easily can go much more. Plus annual maintenance and gas. How many snows a year would i really need that though, because at that price i can call someone in a few times a year to deal with the big snow events instead.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
That's kind of been my math on getting a new snowblower.

I've got a hand me down single stage snowblower that, while loud and probably not all that long for this world, does the job for most snows. Can always go out and do a pass of things early if its a big snow, which i've done this year so i've not called anyone in yet.

A new 2 stage starts at 800ish, easily can go much more. Plus annual maintenance and gas. How many snows a year would i really need that though, because at that price i can call someone in a few times a year to deal with the big snow events instead.

This sounds really tempting, particularly if you went in with a few neighbors and perhaps got a volume discount. The biggest question mark in my mind is how quickly they do the job - like will they be there early enough to clear the sidewalks for kids catching the bus, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I bought my 6hp 2 stage snowblower (MTD) 19 years ago for about $250. I bet I have changed the oil only 5 times total (I know, I'm bad), 1 scraper bar, 1 set of slides, and 1 time rebuilding the carb (only cleaned out the main jet). Pretty cheap investment if you ask me.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I bought my 6hp 2 stage snowblower (MTD) 19 years ago for about $250. I bet I have changed the oil only 5 times total (I know, I'm bad), 1 scraper bar, 1 set of slides, and 1 time rebuilding the carb (only cleaned out the main jet). Pretty cheap investment if you ask me.

In honor of a CF Billy Madison themed day:

I can understand 5 words in that post.

Reactions: Jer

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL

Also, most take up space in your garage or some other storage area. That's a definite consideration if you don't have a monster sized garage. And yeah, years it sits there basically just taking up space makes you question if it's worth having or not.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Also, most take up space in your garage or some other storage area. That's a definite consideration if you don't have a monster sized garage. And yeah, years it sits there basically just taking up space makes you question if it's worth having or not.

That's true, too. I keep mine crammed in a far corner during most of the year and then parked next to the door during winter. I don't know. I like having it around for big snows but the upkeep and maintenance are a pain in the ass.

What I really need is for my kids to grow up so I can just buy them each a shovel and tell them to get to work when it snows.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This sounds really tempting, particularly if you went in with a few neighbors and perhaps got a volume discount. The biggest question mark in my mind is how quickly they do the job - like will they be there early enough to clear the sidewalks for kids catching the bus, etc.

That is kind of my thought too. Are they going to be there to get it done before I leave for work/so I can leave for work? Of course that is presuming the city plows at a decent time and not at 3:30 PM like today. Also will they come back after the city plows if they come before it.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That is kind of my thought too. Are they going to be there to get it done before I leave for work/so I can leave for work? Of course that is presuming the city plows at a decent time and not at 3:30 PM like today. Also will they come back after the city plows if they come before it.

Same here. I don't love the idea of leaving the timetable up to someone else. If the contractor is really prompt and there when you tell them you need them to be there then that's all well and good, but people are generally unreliable.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Living in Southern Iowa I fought the idea of getting a snow blower for years, I had my sons helping me when they lived here or just figured if we got too much I could pay someone to plow me out. Just hated the idea of spending around $1,000 bucks on something I might use once or twice a year.

My oldest son living in Polk City bought a Husqvarna a couple of years ago and he loved it. We were talking about it at the last home football game and a buddy that tailgates with us drove up the next day and bought one. I held out, not paying that type of money for something I will end up never using.

Then the first snow storm of the season hit, I was out shoveling snow for 2 hours, I called my wife at work when I got done and told her, at 57 years of age, we have two choices, pay for my heart attack or buy a snow blower. What do you want to do? She said order you a snow blower, I was worried sick about you shoveling snow all morning. Called around and got a 27 inch Husqvarna locally, guy would put it together gas it up and deliver it for $930.00 tax included.

I have used it twice already, and it works great. One of the best purchases I have every made.
https://www.snowblowersdirect.com/H...MIg7OU_KC34AIVC9bACh33CwQvEAQYAiABEgItSvD_BwE

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, it probably depends a lot on the amount of business and types of business they have. I'm a townhouse and whoever does ours was finished with everything (including sidewalks by 8 this morning).

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I use mine about 12 to 15 times a year for two drives each time. Costs me probably 10 bucks in gas a year if that. Second one I’ve had and this one I paid about a grand (take 40% off for tax deductionn) for 8–10 years ago. I don’t put the cutter on the cement so still have all originals.

Hired a guy to push snow a few times when I had smaller old one. Beat the crap out of the drive and probably took several years off the cement. Figure that pays for itself quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
This was the first storm since I've owned my Simplicity Prestige and snowblower where it struggled with the snow. Thick stuff.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron