1st Coaches Panel released

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
How does the Coaches Poll figure into at large bids ?

Along with RPI and D-1 win percentage they are used to determine allocations for conference tournaments. You want to be in the top 27 or the panel/RPI to feel good about an allocation, or top 27 of one of them and have a win percentage about 0.700. For at large bids they are part of the equation (they use the same equation for at large bids that they use for NCAA seeding, as far as I can tell), I don't recall the exact weight but somewhere between .1 and .2 I think.

• Informative
Reactions: jkbuff98

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I'm glad to see those 4 guys ranked. The only guy I'm a little disappointed with is Dane Pestano. I was hoping he would show improvement from a couple years ago since he's at a better weight for him and a Sr. Last year might have taken a lot out of him and hurt his confidence.

IF the 4 ranked guys, Dane and Straw all continue to improve we could get 6 guys to Nationals. I'd take I'd take 6 qualifiers in a heartbeat right now. Heck, that doesn't even include Colbray whom definitely shows the athletic ability to be a contender. Before the season I was thinking 4 or maybe 5 max.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Remaining ranked opponents for the regular season.

5. Spencer Lee (Iowa)
8. Nicholas Piccininni (Oklahoma St.)
14. Zeke Moisey (West Virginia)
16. Christian Moody (Oklahoma)
17. Jacob Schwarm (UNI)
29. Connor Brown (South Dakota St.)

1. Seth Gross (South Dakota St.)
3. Kaid Brock (Oklahoma St.)
27. Cam Sykora (North Dakota St.)
32. Matthew Schmitt (West Virginia)

4. Dean Heil (Oklahoma St.)
7. Josh Alber (UNI)
26. Mike Longo (Oklahoma)

2. Brandon Sorensen (Iowa)
7. Max Thomsen (UNI)
14. Boo Lewallen (Oklahoma St.)
22. Khristian Olivas (Fresno St.)
25. Davion Jeffries (Oklahoma)
28. Kyle Gliva (North Dakota St.)

2. Michael Kemerer (Iowa)
9. Clayton Ream (North Dakota St.)
11. Luke Zilverberg (South Dakota St.)
30. Jonce Blaylock (Oklahoma St.)
32. Zach Moore (West Virginia)
33. Justin Thomas (Oklahoma)

7. Alex Marinelli (Iowa)
9. Chandler Rogers (Oklahoma St.)
18. Andrew Fogarty (North Dakota St.)
24. Dawaylon Barnes (Oklahoma)

7. Taylor Lujan (UNI)
9. David Kocer (South Dakota St.)
11. Yoanse Mejias (Oklahoma)
13. Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma St.)
22. Joseph Gunther (Iowa)

9. Drew Foster (UNI)
19. Mitchell Bowman (Iowa)
23. Martin Mueller (South Dakota St.)
24. Keegan Moore (Oklahoma St.)

4. Cash Wilcke (Iowa)
9. Nate Rotert (South Dakota St.)
13. Jacob Holschlag (UNI)
17. Jacob Smith (West Virginia)
32. Andrew Dixon (Oklahoma)

HWT
3. Samuel Stoll (Iowa)
10. Derek White (Oklahoma St.)
28. AJ Nevills (Fresno St.)
33. Daniel Stibral (North Dakota St.)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Straw gets #30, #32, and #33. So he definitely has the opportunity to wrestle himself in to the rankings.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'm glad to see those 4 guys ranked. The only guy I'm a little disappointed with is Dane Pestano. I was hoping he would show improvement from a couple years ago since he's at a better weight for him and a Sr. Last year might have taken a lot out of him and hurt his confidence.

IF the 4 ranked guys, Dane and Straw all continue to improve we could get 6 guys to Nationals. I'd take I'd take 6 qualifiers in a heartbeat right now. Heck, that doesn't even include Colbray whom definitely shows the athletic ability to be a contender. Before the season I was thinking 4 or maybe 5 max.

I said it after Vegas and it still holds, but Colbray just needs to keep his head down and his confidence intact until Big XIIs. The conference should get a whole bunch of allocations at that weight so one good Saturday and he can punch his ticket (kind of like Larson did a couple years back)

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Along with RPI and D-1 win percentage they are used to determine allocations for conference tournaments. You want to be in the top 27 or the panel/RPI to feel good about an allocation, or top 27 of one of them and have a win percentage about 0.700. For at large bids they are part of the equation (they use the same equation for at large bids that they use for NCAA seeding, as far as I can tell), I don't recall the exact weight but somewhere between .1 and .2 I think.
Thx I never remember what criteria they use.