Harrison Barnes Interview

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Anyone who thinks HB is "drawing out his recruitment because he loves the attention" is a moron. He is one of the very few kids that doesn't get a big head because of the attention. Notice how it was all about him and where he was going to college during his season? Wait.....that's right. Nevermind.

No but he gets a lot of advantages by stringing us along. There are a lot of benefits we throw at him and I'm sure he enjoys them.

I would probably do the same thing if I were him. The thing that sucks is a program like UNC or Duke can afford to put a timetable on the offer because they have leverage. For ISU, we're just happy to be in the conversation, so it's complicated. I just hope that if he doesn't come here that we are able to find someone suitable.

I also wish him the best because a basketball having the option of going to a top tier program is a big accomplishment, especially from this state. If he goes elsewhere, it isn't because he doesn't have hometown pride. If he didn't have that, he still wouldn't be at Ames High...

cyphan

Mar 24, 2006
hmmm ISU has....
-a struggling basketball program that's headed nowhere...
(4 years of rebuilding? give me a break! we have more players transfer out after a year than we do wins per season)

-a pretty weak business program....

hey harrison, wish you nothing but the best in Durham.

I get a little tired of hearing how ISU's business program is weak. I went to ISU for the love of ISU. I got a degree in business. I'm in sales and make a more than adequate salary in an industry (commercial real estate) that only UNI (in-state) offers a program in. Success isn't so much the coursework and classes offered at college as it is the individual (IMO). If you're motivated and will work hard, you'll make money.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
After sitting next to Duke fans at the NCAA tourney last week against Binghamton, I pray that kid doesn't go there. They are the nerdiest, most ignorant group of sports fans I have ever been around. Got into an argument about how no Duke players ever make it big in the NBA (Boozer was the best one they could come up with). I got a few Josh McRoberts, JJ Redick, Christian Laettner, Shelden Williams jokes in.

Interesting to note that they talked about how Coach K doesn't recruit players with tatoos, crazy hair cuts, etc. Probably the only coach in the country that could get away with that.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
After sitting next to Duke fans at the NCAA tourney last week against Binghamton, I pray that kid doesn't go there. They are the nerdiest, most ignorant group of sports fans I have ever been around. Got into an argument about how no Duke players ever make it big in the NBA (Boozer was the best one they could come up with). I got a few Josh McRoberts, JJ Redick, Christian Laettner, Shelden Williams jokes in.

Interesting to note that they talked about how Coach K doesn't recruit players with tatoos, crazy hair cuts, etc. Probably the only coach in the country that could get away with that.

I'm suprised Shane Battier wasn't mentioned as he's a very underrated player

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
I've never had the impression that he's stringing us along. Just weighing his options.

Perhaps stringing wasn't the right word. I guess what I was trying to say is that he's going to "weigh" his option to come to ISU as long as possible and take advantage of those benefits, which I would do if I were him as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
After sitting next to Duke fans at the NCAA tourney last week against Binghamton, I pray that kid doesn't go there. They are the nerdiest...group of sports fans I have ever been around.

I have to agree here. On HB's last visit to Cameron, some of their fans stopped him as he was walking to the arena to get autographs and photos with him. That's pretty creepy - and nerdy.

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Perhaps stringing wasn't the right word. I guess what I was trying to say is that he's going to "weigh" his option to come to ISU as long as possible and take advantage of those benefits, which I would do if I were him as well.

Not trying to argue with you...this question is strictly out of curiosity. Exactly what kind of benefits are we providing him?

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Not trying to argue with you...this question is strictly out of curiosity. Exactly what kind of benefits are we providing him?

I guess I do not know all of them. I am pretty sure he gets to go to as many ISU games as he wants for free. I think he gets to play pickup games with our players , use some of our facilities, and things like that.

Nothing crazy, but more so than if you didn't grow up in a college town...

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
I guess I do not know all of them. I am pretty sure he gets to go to as many ISU games as he wants for free. I think he gets to play pickup games with our players , use some of our facilities, and things like that.

Nothing crazy, but more so than if you didn't grow up in a college town...

Interesting. I figured there would be some limit on how many games he could attend for free and certainly regulations regarding the use of our facilities.

I'm admittedly very unfamiliar with how all of this works, so thank you for the information.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
Interesting. I figured there would be some limit on how many games he could attend for free and certainly regulations regarding the use of our facilities.

I'm admittedly very unfamiliar with how all of this works, so thank you for the information.

There probably are limits and regulations. I do not know what they are, so perhaps someone closer to the situation would know.

I was under the impression there were nice perks, so perhaps I am wrong...

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If he isn't going to stay in school for all four years, why doesn't he just play where he wants to, go to the NBA, and transfer to a good business school close to where he plays?

Nobody of importance said he wouldn't be in school for 4 years.

gags12

Jul 15, 2008

A few notes on Duke players in the NBA:

1) Duke players in the NBA have the highest salaries of any group of NBA alumni in the league.

2) Grant Hill was well on his way to becoming one of the greatest SF's of all time before his injury. Along those lines, Duke has had some horrific luck with regards to injuries to some of their top talents like Hurley, Jay Williams, Hill, and Laettner (you mention Laettner as a bust, but Laettner was an NBA all-star before tearing his achilles tendon).

3) Duke's group of NBA players is pretty strong right now

Carlos Boozer: NBA all-star
Elton Brand: NBA all-star
Mike Dunleavy: Averaged 19/5/3 last year
Corey Magette: Averaged over 22ppg last year
Luol Deng: Averaging 15/6 in his young career, just signed huge deal
Grant Hill: Injuries prevented a HOF career
Shane Battier: 3rd in DPOY voting, 3 times all defensive team
Chris Duhon: Starting PG, averaging 12/7/3 this year
Dahntay Jones: Starting SG for Denver

They've had some guys that didn't turn out, but overall they have just about as strong a group of NBA talent as any team in college basketball. I wouldn't call Redick a bust yet, either. He's solidified himself as a solid rotation player on a great Orlando team and has played pretty well over the past few months or so. He'll never be a great player, no one expected him to be, but he's got a solid career ahead of him as a role player.

4) Your point about not recruiting kids with tattoos is simply not correct. Duke's had many a player with tatoos. The hair thing is correct to the extent that K requires his players to cut their hair, which comes from his army background. Bob Knight required the same.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I get a little tired of hearing how ISU's business program is weak. I went to ISU for the love of ISU. I got a degree in business. I'm in sales and make a more than adequate salary in an industry (commercial real estate) that only UNI (in-state) offers a program in. Success isn't so much the coursework and classes offered at college as it is the individual (IMO). If you're motivated and will work hard, you'll make money.

Most people who think they are too smart to major in business don't have any idea if the business college (either at ISU or elsewhere) is tough. I have an accounting degree from ISU and anyone who thinks that was an easy degree to obtain should try it themselves. And the CPA exam is probably the most difficult professional certification to obtain.

And oh yeah, ISU's translog program is one of the top in the nation, undergrad and graduate.

MIS/Management is very well respected at ISU also.

Just because ISU is known as the college of enginerds doesn't make that the only good college here.

warsend

Mar 22, 2009
Iowa
A few notes on Duke players in the NBA:

1) Duke players in the NBA have the highest salaries of any group of NBA alumni in the league.

2) Grant Hill was well on his way to becoming one of the greatest SF's of all time before his injury. Along those lines, Duke has had some horrific luck with regards to injuries to some of their top talents like Hurley, Jay Williams, Hill, and Laettner (you mention Laettner as a bust, but Laettner was an NBA all-star before tearing his achilles tendon).

3) Duke's group of NBA players is pretty strong right now

Carlos Boozer: NBA all-star
Elton Brand: NBA all-star
Mike Dunleavy: Averaged 19/5/3 last year
Corey Magette: Averaged over 22ppg last year
Luol Deng: Averaging 15/6 in his young career, just signed huge deal
Grant Hill: Injuries prevented a HOF career
Shane Battier: 3rd in DPOY voting, 3 times all defensive team
Chris Duhon: Starting PG, averaging 12/7/3 this year
Dahntay Jones: Starting SG for Denver

They've had some guys that didn't turn out, but overall they have just about as strong a group of NBA talent as any team in college basketball. I wouldn't call Redick a bust yet, either. He's solidified himself as a solid rotation player on a great Orlando team and has played pretty well over the past few months or so. He'll never be a great player, no one expected him to be, but he's got a solid career ahead of him as a role player.

4) Your point about not recruiting kids with tattoos is simply not correct. Duke's had many a player with tatoos. The hair thing is correct to the extent that K requires his players to cut their hair, which comes from his army background. Bob Knight required the same.

you think because he wants people to cut his hair, and HB did it, would it mean HB is giving a small sign to where he wants to go.
I know he's only a junior but it's a little interesting...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron