Disability or other discrimination situations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Ok, so I've been struggling with something and need to vent. For background, this is related to my Parkinson's and inability to walk without a cane or do a lot with my hands (carry things, fine motor skills, etc). I really try to be a calm, rational, and understanding person so am not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. But this is really bugging me.

I was at the Lowe’s on Jordan Creek in West Des Moines, IA on Saturday. I was looking for a plumbing part to go along with a garbage disposal I had in my cart and the only associate I could find was at the appliance desk (he was in late 40s or 50s). I politely asked him if he could help me find something because I couldn’t find it after spending probably 10 minutes trying. He said it’s down aisle 34. I asked if he could help because I already looked there. All this time, he was looking at my cane and could clearly see I was having issues walking due and pushing the cart. He said no, it’s in 34. Again I asked for his assistance, and again he refused to move - and there were no other customers around waiting for help.

I went to isle 34 and looked again for probably 10 minutes. I went to find him again and when he saw me coming, he immediately turned around and walked away. I hit the help button in plumbing and it rang over the PA for over 10 minutes without anybody coming before just turning itself off. He walked by a couple isles away and saw me waiting there. He kept casually walking away; again he wasn’t helping anybody.

I kept waiting and looking and had to finally yell at somebody a ways away to get somebody to help. It took them over 5 minutes to find the part and it wasn’t in aisle 34.

I feel this associate purposely discriminated against me for being handicap, despite me being polite and trying multiple times to find it myself. I have never in my life felt so dehumanized and belittled as I did. I have only had my disability for around a year and this is my first encounter where I feel it wasn't just a case of bad customer experience - and I really try to be understanding and accepting of those types of things as everybody has a bad day.

I was so worked up, my chest was hurting like I was going to have a heart attack (had one last year), my blood pressure went through the roof (had 3 strokes last year), and I was shaking so badly I almost got into an accident. All which then led to a panic attack. I am a very calm and rational person, but that is absolutely unacceptable and demonstrates the level of discrimination I perceived. When I (very visibly upset) told the cashier that I was treated very rudely by an associate, she didn't even acknowledge it or apologize for that experience, let alone attempt to escalate the matter.

I called the store right when I got home and demanded to speak to the manager (call me Karen if you want). She was dismissive and flippant to the point she was hanging up when I said, um... don't you want my name and number in case you have questions?

I then found the Executive Customer Experience email address and sent a complaint matching the above. I've gotten a few replies going back and forth, but it's basically "thanks for letting us know, now forget it" every time. That doesn't address 1- the discrimination I felt, 2 - give me any comfort that those involved are held accountable, and/or 3 - show a true interest in acknowledging and fixing what may be a systemic issue at either that store or culturally in the organization.

It's very clear that at no level in the organization is there genuine understanding of what basic, consistent, and unbiased customer service and experiences should be for everybody, regardless of race, gender, disability, or anything else.

From the clear discrimination by one or more associates, the flippant handling of the complaint from the store manager, to the canned responses, I honestly don't feel like Lowe's cares one iota about how it treats those with disabilities. It's even more egregious when those customers are doing everything they can to both be polite and respectful to associates, and go out of their way - despite their struggles - of resolving matters themselves.

What I need to determine is how to proceed. Do I forget the discrimination and the immediate and lasting pain it has caused? Do I start a social media trend for people to share their stories of discrimination by Lowe's associates (I'm guessing something like that would normally trending, but I've never Tweeted or thus have followers)? Do I file a formal ADA Civil Rights Complaint? I don't know the answer.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I worked at Home Depot for 9 months as a part time job. They told us that no matter what department you are assigned to, you walk the customer to the item they are looking for. We had everything we needed to find an item on either the device they provided or our personal phones. We were expected to walk them straight to the item they were looking for. Not sure of the Lowes policy but I'm assuming it is similar. This person needs to be reprimanded. It doesn't matter about discrimination, they didn't do their job.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I worked at Home Depot for 9 months as a part time job. They told us that no matter what department you are assigned to, you walk the customer to the item they are looking for. We had everything we needed to find an item on either the device they provided or our personal phones. We were expected to walk them straight to the item they were looking for. Not sure of the Lowes policy but I'm assuming it is similar. This person needs to be reprimanded. It doesn't matter about discrimination, they didn't do their job.
Then they actively avoided the customer. Not acceptable.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
it sounds like discrimination.

But I’ve had similar experiences. There are people that are bad at customer service.

As far as what to do, do what will make you feel better. If you want to have an all out war, more power to you. If you want to move on, great. I certainly wouldn’t go back to that company.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am so sorry this happened to you. I am not sure if it is disability related or just plain old crappy service for everyone. Husband thinks those big box home improvement stores are more likely to help me than him and tries to make me go with him. But he goes for one item and two hours later, we need two carts to haul all the crap.

The only places I ever get actual help finding something any more are Fareway, Target, and the local hardware store.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You probably won’t be able to make it discrimination as it’s most likely just horrible customer service. You might be able to get the guy fired or reprimanded but that will be it.

Sadly you can’t say that the reason he didn’t help you is due to the disability as he didn’t say or do anything directly related.

Super sorry this happened.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This sucks, Jeremy. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Sadly, your legitimate complaint is being lost in the tsunami of other complaints. Add completely ****** customer service at multiple levels and the frustration is maddening.

I have zero knowledge of legal recourse, so I can't speak to that. Sharing your story on a social media website and getting people to boycott and hitting a business directly in the pocketbook seems like the most effective approach. Tell Chris to hammer them in his next pod. You can probably get a few Fanatics to bypass them for Home Depot. Unfortunately, most people will still frequent a store like Lowes if they need something and it's close to their house, regardless of their opinion of them.

I always go to Home Depot over Lowes because I've always had far better customer service. This reinforces my opinion.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
trying to find some assistance at a Lowes or Home Depot is a struggle most of the time.

I have to pay a little more, but at my local hardware store, there is someone asking me what I am looking for as soon as I walk in the door and there is always plenty of help.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
There's a fairly active Lowes's subreddit I bet you could post to and get direction.

Employees not customers but this is something:

Now, the CEO has signed this - not sure if in 2020 or more recently, but whatever.

Tighten up your story, add in the back and forth nonsense with unhelpful customer service, say you appreciate his signing of that letter and committment to being inclusive to those with disabilities. And then email the CEO - [email protected].

May go nowhere, but ime, Sr Execs HATE when this **** makes it up the chain to them and some peon will be lucky enough to receive that escalation.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I don’t have any medical issues you have and have had similar situations at Lowe’s. I can’t say this was or wasn’t discrimination in your situation, but what I can say, is some people just suck at their job.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
trying to find some assistance at a Lowes or Home Depot is a struggle most of the time.

I have to pay a little more, but at my local hardware store, there is someone asking me what I am looking for as soon as I walk in the door and there is always plenty of help.
Me at Lowe’s most of the time.
I
I
V
1716320247220.gif

• Haha
Reactions: HOTDON

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
That's absolutely horrific. Especially, compared to my neck of the woods where people go out of their way to help. At 65 I sometimes get that dismissive attitude, but for the most part, I manage to circumvent.

For whatever it's worth, I've had three situations in my life where I couldn't get proper footing from customer support. Suffice it to say, when I know I'm right, I can be a thorn in someone's side. But, always, in the most courteous of fashion. Below are three examples. I think I'm going through these because the first thing I attempted to identify was their pressure points or, in other terms, my leverage. In your case, your leverage is 'implied prejudice'. Despite as @FriendlySpartan stated there may be no legal avenue, trust me, posting a negative experience on a social media board can be very 'motivating'

First, Wells Fargo increased their interest rates on their credit card without proper prior notice. I wrote a letter to the local newspaper of my experience, but held on to it. Instead, I contacted the VP of the entire credit card division and said, out of respect for him, I opted to let him respond before I mailed it off. It was a doozy of a letter. My whole situation disappeared immediately after that email. Leverage was potential legal liability and the 'newspaper'.

Second, I had a breach of my AT&T calling card. They caught it within an hour, but international networks of thieves had already made $5k calls. For the next 6 months, I'd see that amount due on my phone bill. And for each month, I reached out to the reply 'just ignore the amount'. Finally, I got fed up and climbed the ladder. Again, after getting to the top, the amount disappeared from my bill. But, (for you Frasier fans), just like Martin, they not only removed the debt, but credited my account $5k. A LOT of years of free phone service after that. Leverage was 'poor finance'.

Third, I discovered a security flaw in one Amazon's subscription services which inconvenienced my wife. I got on Linked In, found out the VP of that division, and left him a message. The next day (and for several after), they bent over backwards to assist me. And, they assured me that bug was escalated to the highest people. Leverage was a security flaw'.

I hope you can find some angle to be comforted in this.

Reactions: BigCyFan and NWICY

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
I am so sorry this happened to you. I am not sure if it is disability related or just plain old crappy service for everyone. Husband thinks those big box home improvement stores are more likely to help me than him and tries to make me go with him. But he goes for one item and two hours later, we need two carts to haul all the crap.

The only places I ever get actual help finding something any more are Fareway, Target, and the local hardware store.
Well said. Almost word for word what I was going to post.

I'm a very calm and understanding person, but every once in a while something hits me just right where I want to burn the crops and salt the land. I had an awful experience with a hardware store in Des Moines two weeks ago and I'm still really angry about it. I usually end up voting with my dollars because the amount of time I spend trying to get a simple apology is usually completely wasted. If the employee is allowed to care that little it's likely the management isn't any better.

That's not the solace you are looking for but you can only control you. Take care of yourself and give your money to their competitors.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I’m sorry you had that experience. A trip to a store should never make you feel ill due to your interaction with an employee. It seems to have become common practice for employees to just direct you to an aisle. It really pisses me off. I like you, will spend 10-20 minutes looking for something on my own. By the time I ask an employee, I’m done looking and want to be taken directly to the item. Unfortunately it is rare that an employee actually offers to do that. So rare that I think that employee is really going above and beyond if they do take me to the item.

• Winner
Reactions: HOTDON

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Ok, so I've been struggling with something and need to vent. For background, this is related to my Parkinson's and inability to walk without a cane or do a lot with my hands (carry things, fine motor skills, etc). I really try to be a calm, rational, and understanding person so am not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. But this is really bugging me.

I was at the Lowe’s on Jordan Creek in West Des Moines, IA on Saturday. I was looking for a plumbing part to go along with a garbage disposal I had in my cart and the only associate I could find was at the appliance desk (he was in late 40s or 50s). I politely asked him if he could help me find something because I couldn’t find it after spending probably 10 minutes trying. He said it’s down aisle 34. I asked if he could help because I already looked there. All this time, he was looking at my cane and could clearly see I was having issues walking due and pushing the cart. He said no, it’s in 34. Again I asked for his assistance, and again he refused to move - and there were no other customers around waiting for help.

I went to isle 34 and looked again for probably 10 minutes. I went to find him again and when he saw me coming, he immediately turned around and walked away. I hit the help button in plumbing and it rang over the PA for over 10 minutes without anybody coming before just turning itself off. He walked by a couple isles away and saw me waiting there. He kept casually walking away; again he wasn’t helping anybody.

I kept waiting and looking and had to finally yell at somebody a ways away to get somebody to help. It took them over 5 minutes to find the part and it wasn’t in aisle 34.

I feel this associate purposely discriminated against me for being handicap, despite me being polite and trying multiple times to find it myself. I have never in my life felt so dehumanized and belittled as I did. I have only had my disability for around a year and this is my first encounter where I feel it wasn't just a case of bad customer experience - and I really try to be understanding and accepting of those types of things as everybody has a bad day.

I was so worked up, my chest was hurting like I was going to have a heart attack (had one last year), my blood pressure went through the roof (had 3 strokes last year), and I was shaking so badly I almost got into an accident. All which then led to a panic attack. I am a very calm and rational person, but that is absolutely unacceptable and demonstrates the level of discrimination I perceived. When I (very visibly upset) told the cashier that I was treated very rudely by an associate, she didn't even acknowledge it or apologize for that experience, let alone attempt to escalate the matter.

I called the store right when I got home and demanded to speak to the manager (call me Karen if you want). She was dismissive and flippant to the point she was hanging up when I said, um... don't you want my name and number in case you have questions?

I then found the Executive Customer Experience email address and sent a complaint matching the above. I've gotten a few replies going back and forth, but it's basically "thanks for letting us know, now forget it" every time. That doesn't address 1- the discrimination I felt, 2 - give me any comfort that those involved are held accountable, and/or 3 - show a true interest in acknowledging and fixing what may be a systemic issue at either that store or culturally in the organization.

It's very clear that at no level in the organization is there genuine understanding of what basic, consistent, and unbiased customer service and experiences should be for everybody, regardless of race, gender, disability, or anything else.

From the clear discrimination by one or more associates, the flippant handling of the complaint from the store manager, to the canned responses, I honestly don't feel like Lowe's cares one iota about how it treats those with disabilities. It's even more egregious when those customers are doing everything they can to both be polite and respectful to associates, and go out of their way - despite their struggles - of resolving matters themselves.

What I need to determine is how to proceed. Do I forget the discrimination and the immediate and lasting pain it has caused? Do I start a social media trend for people to share their stories of discrimination by Lowe's associates (I'm guessing something like that would normally trending, but I've never Tweeted or thus have followers)? Do I file a formal ADA Civil Rights Complaint? I don't know the answer.
Customer service at a lot of places is complete **** for anyone honestly, though I can see how it would be even more frustrating with physical limitations.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would lean in the idea that it is just a store with crappy customer service, less likely discriminating due to a disability.

Sorry it happened to you and hope you get resolution

Reactions: BigCyFan and Jer

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I guess I wouldn't think this was so much discrimination as much as it was just a lazy piece of **** employee. Of course, I can't wrap my mind around discriminating against someone with a physical disability, but this just sounds like the guy who's making like $20/hour, thinks he should be making $25 but will constantly approach things with the attitude of "That's not my job."

So I would have put it on that guy when contacting people higher up and let them know they have a guy they're wasting about $40K a year on.

Status
Not open for further replies.