Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Yeah, the writing was good... but CC should definitely stick to basketball. She's SO uncomfortable, nervous, and awkward in these commercials and appearances on TV. Which is perfectly understandable. She's like a robot... no personality at all... just reading the lines.
The only line delivery of hers I like in the commercials is the State Farm parking lot one when she gestures to Jimmy Butler when he asks where the hoop is and says, “There isn’t one.” That’s the only time in any of her commercials when it doesn’t feel like a stilted uncomfortable reading of a line.

(I also like that ad for the “stop saying the ‘S’ word!” and the “old Pacer,” I’m not gonna lie)

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The cold open was also really funny. They brought back Kate McKinnon for the alien abduction skit.

Edit: and because of that skit I will now use the term, "troll nose" in abundance.
One of the great recurring skits. Gosling can never make it through without Kate breaking him.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
It’s been interesting to watch the state of Iowa print and tv Media feeding frenzy pushing the CC saga as it continues to roll on. She is a very good player and has no control of the public adulation but I wonder how long this will last until it fizzles out. I was thinking of starting a contest of the prediction when the first day that the DM Register would not have a CC article.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The only line delivery of hers I like in the commercials is the State Farm parking lot one when she gestures to Jimmy Butler when he asks where the hoop is and says, “There isn’t one.” That’s the only time in any of her commercials when it doesn’t feel like a stilted uncomfortable reading of a line.

(I also like that ad for the “stop saying the ‘S’ word!” and the “old Pacer,” I’m not gonna lie)
Her acting on the floor isn’t much better but is also sometimes rewarded. I don’t think they called a foul on that pratfall someone posted where she dramatically stumbled and eventually fell out of bounds after flailing over half the width of the floor. And further video kind of put an end to the Ohio State fan incident dramatics.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
It’s been interesting to watch the state of Iowa print and tv Media feeding frenzy pushing the CC saga as it continues to roll on. She is a very good player and has no control of the public adulation but I wonder how long this will last until it fizzles out. I was thinking of starting a contest of the prediction when the first day that the DM Register would not have a CC article.
did you see the DM Rag today. her on the front page how she changed the sport, in the opinion section on everyone praising her about putting Iowa on the map,some singer at the 80,35 concert praising her and an article in the sports section on her and how she is changing the Fever in the future. makes me think about dropping them. what will they have to write about in a couple of weeks?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's not. Have you ever listened to non-actors on commercials, including political candidates? They have to slow their pacing to fit the allotted time and also to keep from mumbling/talking so fast that no one understands what they're saying. The long pauses they do in the middle of sentences makes me crazy!

Yeah the feel of how purposeful they're being is just kind of odd.

I should say 'obviously' and not 'apparently' since it's so easy to tell.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I still think it would be funny if she was drafted Number 1 and then was traded elsewhere in a 3 team deal. Just imagine all of those people that have bought tickets to see Indiana play now stuck with unwanted tickets. I can dream can't I.

Sep 10, 2015
On Denver sports talk radio the other day they were debating when was the last time an athlete went from relative obscurity to this level of popularity. The closest comp they came up with was Michael Phelps, which I thought was a pretty good comparison. At first they tried to say Zion Williamson at Duke but then when they looked up the viewership for his games none was close to this.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
On Denver sports talk radio the other day they were debating when was the last time an athlete went from relative obscurity to this level of popularity. The closest comp they came up with was Michael Phelps, which I thought was a pretty good comparison. At first they tried to say Zion Williamson at Duke but then when they looked up the viewership for his games none was close to this.

Tiger's total dominance at his first Masters win was a massive increase in his name recognition. Not just that he won so young, but he lapped the field. Also a sport that really wasn't very popular without him compared to other major sports.

It's still the largest margin of victory 27 years later and he was only 21 years old.

He played the first 9 at 4 over!

It shattered all tv ratings for golf in similar way.

Sep 10, 2015
Tiger's total dominance at his first Masters win was a massive increase in his name recognition. Not just that he won so young, but he lapped the field. Also a sport that really wasn't very popular without him compared to other major sports.

It's still the largest margin of victory 27 years later and he was only 21 years old.

He played the first 9 at 4 over!

It shattered all tv ratings for golf in similar way.
I posted it about 100 pages ago in this thread but the other comp for this is Lance Armstrong in terms of a sport that wasn’t that popular and then all of a sudden he was all over TV for a few years.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
CC finishes 3rd in all time turnover list.

I don't know WBB well enough to know if the rest of the top ten are legends, but going by name of school I'm guessing clear "No".

Interesting as an NBA fan the all time turnover leaders are all dominant players...but part of that is because they can play up to 20ish years. Reggie Theus is only player in top 25 who isn't a slam dunk hall of famer. Credit to MJ that he's only 36th even though he constantly had the ball in his hands, the guy took care of the ball for sure.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Going well since when? Are you a Hawk lover?
Since about 8:00 this morning when the discussion was about SNL and her appearance.

It was actually the least petty conversation in awhile (you even participated! Well done!) and then of course you brought it back to her not getting back on defense. Literally so many have told you to chill out when it comes to your hate of her. This is coming from an iowa state fan.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Since about 8:00 this morning when the discussion was about SNL and her appearance.

It was actually the least petty conversation in awhile (you even participated! Well done!) and then of course you brought it back to her not getting back on defense. Literally so many have told you to chill out when it comes to your hate of her. This is coming from an iowa state fan.

She did as good a job on SNL as one could expect. Agree with that.

I’m just not going to let people get away with calling her the best ever. She is the best offensive player ever IMO though.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
I am not a Clark hater by any stretch and I respect all she has done in her career, however anybody who says she was anything but a staggeringly wooden on SNL last night is a ridiculous liar. She has all the camera charisma of a school bus fire.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron