2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
My quick thoughts...

Iowa played about as bad as you could play and were lucky to win. If their 3s aren't falling tomorrow it could be a long day for them. On that note, it could go the other way too. They had some of the worst passing and lazy closeouts I can recall a college team doing and somehow still won. Maybe this wakes them up a little more.

I sat with my wife saying over and over last night I didn't understand the screen call. After seeing it again it was the right call. Admittedly I wasn't watching the screen as closely live and replays didn't show the whole thing last night.

South Carolina will have a major talent advantage across the board with the exception of Clark. Last year Iowa packed the paint and forced SC to shoot from distance. They're able to make those now. If Iowa wants a chance they're going to have to get creative on their game plan.

UCONN gave the blueprint on guarding Clark. 94 feet of face guarding. Absolutely no room to breathe. Will Staley copy that? Or will she be stubborn and go to her own plan?

Lastly...a lot of people here rightfully hate Iowa. But sweet baby Jesus if you hate watching the team or Clark that much just don't watch

I thought UConn looked quicker and was better defensively but got tired and had bad fouls that affected everything.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Sucks that Gabbie has had to cancel her social media because of all the hate she's getting for that call. Pretty sad.
The weird thing is I’ve seen people sell contact 10x that much every single game, and it was an actual illegal screen!

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
When you only need two points for the win why do you put the ball into the hands of a player that gives you a 35 or 40% chance and the player whose 15 foot turnarounds gives you a 65% chance is out 25 feet away from the basket doing screens?
If the foul hadn't been called, I guarantee Bueckers feeds Edwards on the roll for an easy bucket. Geno didn't put the ball in her hands to necessarily get a 3. He put the ball in her hands because she's precisely the one you want on that team making the decision on which shot to take in that situation. Put the ball in her hands and let her see what the defense gives them, and trust her to make the right decision.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Well they're 20-0 in the second round their last 20 tournaments, maybe time to change up the home team format or go to 32, that's really pointless to play those games.

In the mens games the 1/16/ 2/16 games used to be kind of meaningless, now they can be good games. the second round has NEVER been some automatic layup where any team could go 20-0 20 years in a row. Bad look.
RE: MBB: North Carolina (Charlotte this year) and / or Duke rarely lose in the Carolina Invitational in the first two rounds. That's almost the same thing, but every once in a blue moon one of them misses that layup.

Reactions: cyfanster

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
If the foul hadn't been called, I guarantee Bueckers feeds Edwards on the roll for an easy bucket. Geno didn't put the ball in her hands to necessarily get a 3. He put the ball in her hands because she's precisely the one you want on that team making the decision on which shot to take in that situation. Put the ball in her hands and let her see what the defense gives them, and trust her to make the right decision.
Trouble was Paige was going to be doubled near the sideline with Stuelke and Marshall. With less than 3 seconds. Needed to have more time.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Sunday…..the last day of all this cc crap. Sukeye WBB goes back to irrelevant status tonight by 5 pm…. And the wicked witch will melt away…..
The all-time facebook post I seen from a Hawkeye fan just this morning was:

"However the game goes today, What CC has done while at Iowa is far more impressive than hopping on super teams to cherry pick rings at UCONN. These old head W players just hate that she stayed home and has had this much success"

Their fans are so delusional they don't realize that if she had been recruited by UCONN she would have been there and been "cherry picking rings". It was her dream school.

So guess they won their super bowl already in WBB by beating let me check the 3 seed UCONN.

Reactions: Tpups21

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sunday…..the last day of all this cc crap. Sukeye WBB goes back to irrelevant status tonight by 5 pm…. And the wicked witch will melt away…..

To me mocking a team for their "relevance", a national relevance we have never enjoyed as ISU fans, is a strange flex. :rolleyes:

In a more serious vein, Iowa obviously will not win 30 games next year but I think Bluder has had only one losing season at Iowa so it's not like they will suddenly drop to last place in the Big Ten. They have a class somewhat comparable to our 2023 class coming in and have two top recruits signed for 2025 so I don't expect them to suddenly auger in. The seniors will be gone, and looking for a PG, but the pieces will all be there. Bit of bad luck in that their ranked recruit for this year will never play basketball after her tragic car accident and their 2024 PG recruit tore her ACL.

Reactions: cyfanster

ISU_Guy

Jul 21, 2021
Des Moines
To me mocking a team for their "relevance", a national relevance we have never enjoyed as ISU fans, is a strange flex. :rolleyes:

In a more serious vein, Iowa obviously will not win 30 games next year but I think Bluder has had only one losing season at Iowa so it's not like they will suddenly drop to last place in the Big Ten. They have a class somewhat comparable to our 2023 class coming in and have two top recruits signed for 2025 so I don't expect them to suddenly auger in. The seniors will be gone, and looking for a PG, but the pieces will all be there. Bit of bad luck in that their ranked recruit for this year will never play basketball after her tragic car accident and their 2024 PG recruit tore her ACL.

I think they go into 5-9 seed status starting next year. Bluder will get a short recruiting boom though.
they have a couple decent players coming back, but those players are getting a ton of looks and points this year because teams don't care about them as much right now.
I would fully expect teams to camp in the lane more next year..

cyfanster

Dec 29, 2021
If it's obvious... yes call the foul. The "moving screen" was not obvious.... and it wasn't consistently called during the game either.
It was obvious and maybe should have been upgraded. Edwards should have fouled out earlier with committing more moving screens.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think they go into 5-9 seed status starting next year. Bluder will get a short recruiting boom though.
they have a couple decent players coming back, but those players are getting a ton of looks and points this year because teams don't care about them as much right now.
I would fully expect teams to camp in the lane more next year..

Might be a bubble team? It would help them to get a PG in the portal but Bluders seems really old school with respect to portal recruiting so that will be something for the Hawk fans to watch closely. Hawks are a little bit of an outlier in the age of mass transfering, not many players leaving Iowa nor many coming to Iowa. Maybe, Molly Davis in and Jensen left is all I can think of off the top of my head for players anyone might even know?