2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Had a couple of my ref friends share their thoughts on Facebook.

One said:

Completely, and totally illegal screen. And if it goes uncalled and that girl curls around the pic and drains a three or gets it inside the post for an easy two, everybody ******** about how they shouldn’t have called that illegal screen would start ******** about how they should’ve called it because they “took the game away from Iowa.”

Other said:

Not only the leg and arm sticks out she still sliding up to set the screen as the contact is made. I will say she did a great job drawing attention to it!!! Got to sell it baby!

Gross.

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
the UCONN game is over. Iowa plays for the championship tomorrow. Now the question becomes: can Staley actually strategize to win? Or will Iowas coaches nuke their talent advantage like last year?

SC is a better team than last year. They can shoot the three and Cardoso has developed some nice offensive moves beyond just being tall. They are deep; Staley often does a full line change substitution. They have some elite athletic talent in Fulwiley and Watkins.

But they’ve also had several close calls. At times they lose focus and almost seem to assume they’ll win. They have given up 20+ point leads multiple times recently but managed to come away with a win.

• Funny
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021

One said:

Completely, and totally illegal screen. And if it goes uncalled and that girl curls around the pic and drains a three or gets it inside the post for an easy two, everybody ******** about how they shouldn’t have called that illegal screen would start ******** about how they should’ve called it because they “took the game away from Iowa.”

Other said:

Not only the leg and arm sticks out she still sliding up to set the screen as the contact is made. I will say she did a great job drawing attention to it!!! Got to sell it baby!
Plus if that is your best screener, Gino has slipped tremendously. You had your big making a screen against one of Iowa’s smallest players. You made it too easy for the ref. I believe Bluder was smart in having Marshall guard who she did. In the third quarter, UCONN ran a play where they had two passes inside for an easy layup. I told my wife, that’s what i would do a couple of times in the fourth quarter if it got tight. They never ran that play again. Another thing Bluder did that changed the game was put Clark in the off guard position to start the third quarter, made it easier for her to get open for a couple of threes.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My quick thoughts...

Iowa played about as bad as you could play and were lucky to win. If their 3s aren't falling tomorrow it could be a long day for them. On that note, it could go the other way too. They had some of the worst passing and lazy closeouts I can recall a college team doing and somehow still won. Maybe this wakes them up a little more.

I sat with my wife saying over and over last night I didn't understand the screen call. After seeing it again it was the right call. Admittedly I wasn't watching the screen as closely live and replays didn't show the whole thing last night.

South Carolina will have a major talent advantage across the board with the exception of Clark. Last year Iowa packed the paint and forced SC to shoot from distance. They're able to make those now. If Iowa wants a chance they're going to have to get creative on their game plan.

UCONN gave the blueprint on guarding Clark. 94 feet of face guarding. Absolutely no room to breathe. Will Staley copy that? Or will she be stubborn and go to her own plan?

Lastly...a lot of people here rightfully hate Iowa. But sweet baby Jesus if you hate watching the team or Clark that much just don't watch
The fun is watching them lose. My favorite Iowa FB game ever was Iowa Stanford at the Rose Bowl. Hell their thin skinned fans got all bent out of shape by the Stanford band and everyone knows they are into poking fun at their opponents. Go Gamecocks!!

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The fun is watching them lose. My favorite Iowa FB game ever was Iowa Stanford at the Rose Bowl. Hell their thin skinned fans got all bent out of shape by the Stanford band and everyone knows they are into poking fun at their opponents. Go Gamecocks!!
My favorite was watching Frankie Leaks‘ touchdown catch and then, as a student, watch Bump Elliott try to kick Lou McCollough out of the press box. It was priceless.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
My quick thoughts...

Iowa played about as bad as you could play and were lucky to win. If their 3s aren't falling tomorrow it could be a long day for them. On that note, it could go the other way too. They had some of the worst passing and lazy closeouts I can recall a college team doing and somehow still won. Maybe this wakes them up a little more.

I sat with my wife saying over and over last night I didn't understand the screen call. After seeing it again it was the right call. Admittedly I wasn't watching the screen as closely live and replays didn't show the whole thing last night.

South Carolina will have a major talent advantage across the board with the exception of Clark. Last year Iowa packed the paint and forced SC to shoot from distance. They're able to make those now. If Iowa wants a chance they're going to have to get creative on their game plan.

UCONN gave the blueprint on guarding Clark. 94 feet of face guarding. Absolutely no room to breathe. Will Staley copy that? Or will she be stubborn and go to her own plan?

Lastly...a lot of people here rightfully hate Iowa. But sweet baby Jesus if you hate watching the team or Clark that much just don't watch
I was losing it last night over those lame passes and lazy closeouts. I don't care if it's Iowa or Kansas, that crap just bugs the **** out of me.

Reactions: Kinch

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

One said:

Other said:

When I first saw it in live action I thought it was a pretty sketch call, then when I saw the replay it was clearly an illegal pick.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
When I first saw it in live action I thought it was a pretty sketch call, then when I saw the replay it was clearly an illegal pick.
Saw a replay from someone's phone in the crowd on the opposite side from the camera, made it even more clear how bad of a screen it was. The elbow, the late slide into position, the feet seven feet apart, it was just bad in every possible way.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
When you only need two points for the win why do you put the ball into the hands of a player that gives you a 35 or 40% chance and the player whose 15 foot turnarounds gives you a 65% chance is out 25 feet away from the basket doing screens?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Saw a replay from someone's phone in the crowd on the opposite side from the camera, made it even more clear how bad of a screen it was. The elbow, the late slide into position, the feet seven feet apart, it was just bad in every possible way.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It may be “ever” at that time. Really should be saying, yet” from a grammatically correct perspective.

The "on espn" is a huge asterisk. They're trying to wrap in men's here (which is odd, the numbers are still great otherwise), but the highest rated mens games of any given year are almost all tournament games, which ESPN doesn't have.

But yes, espn has gotten what they wanted here. Kept their stars in through multiple games with questionable officiating to protect those stars.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
It may be “ever” at that time. Really should be saying, yet” from a grammatically correct perspective.
The interesting thing to me is it’s a non SEC matchup. And the ACC-SEC matchup was half that number.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The "on espn" is a huge asterisk. They're trying to wrap in men's here (which is odd, the numbers are still great otherwise), but the highest rated mens games of any given year are almost all tournament games, which ESPN doesn't have.

But yes, espn has gotten what they wanted here. Kept their stars in through multiple games with questionable officiating to protect those stars.

I had someone try to argue with me it was the most watched basketball game of all time men or women, using that tweet as evidence, clearly without looking at the photo. It didn’t take them long to start feeling dumb.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
This is a discussion board. We discuss sports. There are two things happening here that I also see happen in politics a lot.

1. People hear what the media says and form an initial belief. Even after being presented with evidence that disputes that initial belief, they stick so firmly to it that they start rationalizing.
2. People are so bias that they can’t see things objectively. In this case, the hatred for Iowa clouds judgment.
When did this become a thing? People say this all the time now instead of "biased." Is it like a meme or something?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron