TJ best coach we have ever had?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Are we talking about all ISU sports, or just basketball?

I love what's he doing so far, but personally I would still have to give the edge right now to LE. Two straight regular season conference championships and an Elite Eight.

Granted, his fall (along with that of the program he led) was swift and steep, but those two years (besides the end of the second season) still hold a special place in my heart.

TJ, so far though, is right up there, especially in proportion to where he started with a 2-win program.

I'm at the point right now where I would be very disappointed if he doesn't win Big 12 Coach of the Year. Kelvin Sampson should get his fair share of credit for Houston being as great as they are, but they were also just as great last season and were expected to be this good. We were not.
They were preseason #7 in the nation, we were preseason #7 in the conference. TJ wrapped it up yesterday

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The fact that in year 3 it's even debatable tells you everything you need to know.

The dude took a team that went 2-22 to the Sweet Sixteen the next year. Even despite taking over that **** hole, has nearly the highest win percentage of any coach in ISU history (currently 2nd) - and in one of the most turbulent times in college athletics - and in the hardest conference in the country, arguably at it's high point historically.

He's the best representative of the university and doing things the right way we've ever had. I've loved the guy since the first time I talked to him on the phone in 2006 and will always be his biggest supporter.

We've had good recruiters, good in-game coaches, good game planners, but TJ to me is the most well rounded of all of them. TF was a good in game coach and recruiter but didn't last long enough to see the fruits, in my opinion. LE did a wonderful job early on, but he took over a lot of talent. While I love the guy, he gave us a huge black eye that can't be overlooked for how much it set us back.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
If not for the alcoholism, i think he would have had an upswing with the players that were coming in that Wayne Morgan ended up coaching.
Yeah, it's unfortunate we never got to see that dynamic of WM's recruiting combined with LE's coaching & player development.

WM obviously wasn't the greatest coach, but he had a huge hand in bringing in some of the best players that Boeheim had while at the 'Cuse. And he brought in some good ones here as well.

Stinson & Blalock developing under LE could've been something to see.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'd give this nod to Fred. He seemed to very often have some sort of set or mismatch type of situation to pull out to get a bucket.

Larry seemed to have the foundation of playing hard nosed but I don't recall anything out of him from a strategic standpoint that was crazy. Everything's easier with two All-Americans and a bunch of guys that are all-conference worthy.

Hoiberg couldn’t coach defense worth a s**t. But offensively…. had the best teams in ISU history IMO.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hoiberg couldn’t coach defense worth a s**t. But offensively…. had the best teams in ISU history IMO.

He could at times and there were games where it happened

He just leaned heavily into the offense like TJ leaned into the defense.

You generally have to pick one or the other to ride out or you end up with whatever Prohmball was.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The fact that in year 3 it's even debatable tells you everything you need to know.

The dude took a team that went 2-22 to the Sweet Sixteen the next year. Even despite taking over that **** hole, has nearly the highest win percentage of any coach in ISU history (currently 2nd) - and in one of the most turbulent times in college athletics - and in the hardest conference in the country, arguably at it's high point historically.

He's the best representative of the university and doing things the right way we've ever had. I've loved the guy since the first time I talked to him on the phone in 2006 and will always be his biggest supporter.

We've had good recruiters, good in-game coaches, good game planners, but TJ to me is the most well rounded of all of them. TF was a good in game coach and recruiter but didn't last long enough to see the fruits, in my opinion. LE did a wonderful job early on, but he took over a lot of talent. While I love the guy, he gave us a huge black eye that can't be overlooked for how much it set us back.
Plus, he really WANTS to be here. And it looks like, STAY here. At this point it looks like he's found the "greenest pastures" he could want.

Hoping there is money to pay him and assistants after this amazing season is over.

Reactions: NWICY and Die4Cy

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
This isn't that complicated. I enjoy the shared experience of the game threads, but can see why others don't. But it shouldn't be unexpected that when the team is playing poorly that many comments on the thread point out the poor play and then people make fatalistic projections, and that when they are playing well the opposite happens. I view the people who do it as passionate ISU fans not bad fans, so it is easy to cut them a little slack. But for certain CFers, if they weren't here blasting something somebody else expressed during a game, they'd have little purpose posting here. It's predictable and dumb, but it's fine. And then there is ZRF who has a whole other set of issues.
Should we count your vote for ZRF as greatest Cyclone coach ever? :p

• Winner
Reactions: dafarmer

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Whats crazy is this is the first year the majority of the roster wasn't thrown together. TJ was forced into a tough spot from a recruiting perspective after the 2 win season. If TJ grabs a couple high profile transfers in the frontcourt this offseason that are capable of putting up 12-15 ppg on a nightly basis expectations are going to go through the roof. Until I see otherwise I am confident a TJ led team is going to be top 10 in the country defensively. Keep recruiting more talented scorers.

OrangeCarrot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 1, 2023
UNLV still rebuilding after the shambles TJ left in - although he did them a favor getting Keshon out of there.
UNLV had some bad losses to start the year but they’re heating up. They’re in 2nd place in the MWC but I think they have to get the auto bid to make the tourney. 5-3 in quad 1, 1-4 in quad 2, and three quad 4 losses.

• Informative
Reactions: Die4Cy

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
TJ is awesome, but the most notable thing for me is that he has surrounded himself with phenomenal assistants and gives them the reigns - Very CEO-like. KG, Blount, and Schmidt seem to have as much, or more, involvement during the games as TJ. Seems it's almost always one of those guys at the center of the huddle with the white board.
So excited to see what coach Green does with JT Rock. He turned several post players at Northern Iowa with only the fraction of natural ability of JT into absolute powerhouses.

T-oh double D

Jan 20, 2024
The raising our program from a dead 2-22 season is worthy alone of putting TJ in the top 3. With more time, and a couple deep tournament runs, TJ could pass Johnny and LE.

Johnny is my number 1- he put us on the map and gave us tons of great seasons and great memories. If you saw the Lafester game, you understand. LE is a strong 2 spot- the Elite 8 was a magical season and we probably win the whole thing if that game isn’t played in Auburn Hills. Honorable mention: Floyd and Freddy. Both got suckered into coaching a crappy Bulls team and had either one stayed, they could’ve easily gotten to number 1 and had a statue in Hilton next to Johnny’s.

I think we have a real shot at winning the B12 tournament next week and making a deep run (Elite 8 or better) the following week. If we do, I would move TJ to 2nd.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron