Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It was weird seeing a Hy-Vee cop putting grocery carts back while strapped in rural NE Iowa the other day.
The Hills of Decorah
t1fkY8.gif

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It was weird seeing a Hy-Vee cop putting grocery carts back while strapped in rural NE Iowa the other day.
Yeah, this is another bizarre one. HyVees are mostly located in smaller towns and suburbs around the midwest. Not typically the neighborhoods where I feel like a grocery store has a need for armed security. No better way to make me feel that helpful smile in every isle vibe than an overweight security guard walking around looking like they are trying to live out their long lost Seal Team Six fantasy.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Anyone else's Hy Vee consistently shut down most of their self checkouts, despite having excessive lines at remaining clerk & self checkouts?

It's infuriating and illogical.

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Anyone else's Hy Vee consistently shut down most of their self checkouts, despite having excessive lines at remaining clerk & self checkouts?

It's infuriating and illogical.
The non-express self checkout lines in most stores will be going away and be replaced with checkout lines with cashiers.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I assume too much theft

I'm not sure that I would put self-checkout on the list of weird Hy-Vee business decisions. A lot of retailers are considering self-checkout to be a failed experiment and are scaling it back in favor of human cashiers. Even unintentional theft is a problem with self-checkout because the process is so janky, to say nothing of the opportunity for intentional theft.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I'm not sure that I would put self-checkout on the list of weird Hy-Vee business decisions. A lot of retailers are considering self-checkout to be a failed experiment and are scaling it back in favor of human cashiers. Even unintentional theft is a problem with self-checkout because the process is so janky, to say nothing of the opportunity for intentional theft.
For sure. Produce alone could cause enough unintentional loss to scale back self-checkout

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You ever been to a Meijer? Or a Target or Walmart for that matter?
They are traditional retail stores that added huge grocery sections to make them basically 1/2 and 1/2. That's far different from having 98% grocery and 2% clothing/shoes. Having those at Hy-Vee makes about as much sense as Menards' small grocery and mattress sections.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
They are traditional retail stores that added huge grocery sections to make them basically 1/2 and 1/2. That's far different from having 98% grocery and 2% clothing/shoes. Having those at Hy-Vee makes about as much sense as Menards' small grocery and mattress sections.
Bingo. If HyVee wanted to double the size of their store and set it up like a Super Target that would be a different deal than these half assed attempts to diversify.

Hmm, I need a new pair of shoes, better head to HyVee, said no human on Earth ever.

• Funny
Reactions: urb1 and Jer

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Tells me you can do a lot of retail with some amount of grocery, but you can't really do the reverse.

I get why hyvee is trying different things, as those things usually offer higher margins than traditional grocery, but i don't know that clothing is it.

Reactions: Jer

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I assume too much theft
They caught a customer in one of the stores who had taken the UPC bar code from an item that was under $1.00, and she was scanning it instead of her groceries. After they caught her, she admitted to doing this for well over a year, to the tune of over $10,000.

They caught her when the self checkout register locked up and she needed assistance. Instead of getting a high school aged employee to help her, it was a manager. The manager took a look at the groceries she had scanned vs. the amount on the screen, and the fact that every item on the screen was the exact same thing and that was the end of it for her.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Think back 20 years to what grocery stores were. Look at the grocery stores that have gone out of business, and look at what is still out there. If you aren’t trying **** you’re going to get bought out or go out of business. That’s the industry. It’s too late for giants like HyVee and Kroger and Safeway to go back to being Fareway.

Target and Walmart and Costco are competition to traditional large grocery now, not Fareway or Aldi. If you ain’t tryin’, you’re dyin’. Bad ideas are better than no ideas at this point in the competition.

Big Daddy Kang

Mar 20, 2021
Think back 20 years to what grocery stores were. Look at the grocery stores that have gone out of business, and look at what is still out there. If you aren’t trying **** you’re going to get bought out or go out of business. That’s the industry. It’s too late for giants like HyVee and Kroger and Safeway to go back to being Fareway.

Target and Walmart and Costco are competition to traditional large grocery now, not Fareway or Aldi. If you ain’t tryin’, you’re dyin’. Bad ideas are better than no ideas at this point in the competition.
Nah, that's called throwing **** at the wall.

• Agree
Reactions: kkise