Recruiting: Pair of future Cyclones in action Wednesday

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The UNI recruit Tre Campbell looked fantastic. He might be the best player in the state.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Heard rumor that Lipsey isn't healthy and possibly not playing vs Burlington today. Any truth to that?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Heard rumor that Lipsey isn't healthy and possibly not playing vs Burlington today. Any truth to that?

He played today in Ames win. Looked like he had a solid game:16 points & 9 assists on 7 for 12 shooting.

Campbell of CF did have a smooth game, but they fell to Prairie. So 2 CR schools in the 4A semi's.

I wasn't able to watch Lipsey play today's game. I have Roku and have watched other Boys State Tournament games on the IHSSN app. But it only appears the App shows live games, no replays. I went on the IHSAA website and it looks like the only way to watch replays is to rent or buy the replay. Does anyone know if that is the only way to watch replays. If so, that is pretty silly by the Boys HS Association.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
I watched the Ames game today - Lipsey did play although not sure he's 100%. I'm not going to say his effort made it look like he was coasting because I don't think that's it, more so that he was picking his spots of when to explode and use his athleticism. When he did, he got to the basket at will. Also jumped the passing lane several times leading to run out layups. For most of the game, he seemed content to facilitate and let other guys score as Ames was much better than their opponent.

And even if he was injured, he was still clearly the best player on the floor. His poise and decision-making seems rare for a high school kid. Old school floor general type of PG. Excited that he'll be staying in Ames

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
wasn’t it a hamstring issue that Lipsey had that kept him out a few games lately? Thought I read that somewhere anyway.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
But it only appears the App shows live games, no replays. I went on the IHSAA website and it looks like the only way to watch replays is to rent or buy the replay. Does anyone know if that is the only way to watch replays. If so, that is pretty silly by the Boys HS Association.

That's an IHSSN deal, not IHSAA.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I watched the Ames game today - Lipsey did play although not sure he's 100%. I'm not going to say his effort made it look like he was coasting because I don't think that's it, more so that he was picking his spots of when to explode and use his athleticism. When he did, he got to the basket at will. Also jumped the passing lane several times leading to run out layups. For most of the game, he seemed content to facilitate and let other guys score as Ames was much better than their opponent.

And even if he was injured, he was still clearly the best player on the floor. His poise and decision-making seems rare for a high school kid. Old school floor general type of PG. Excited that he'll be staying in Ames
Probably still working his way back from the hamstring injury, but generally that is how he plays.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
He played today in Ames win. Looked like he had a solid game:16 points & 9 assists on 7 for 12 shooting.

Campbell of CF did have a smooth game, but they fell to Prairie. So 2 CR schools in the 4A semi's.

I wasn't able to watch Lipsey play today's game. I have Roku and have watched other Boys State Tournament games on the IHSSN app. But it only appears the App shows live games, no replays. I went on the IHSAA website and it looks like the only way to watch replays is to rent or buy the replay. Does anyone know if that is the only way to watch replays. If so, that is pretty silly by the Boys HS Association.
It's so nice how the girl's union does theirs. All games on youtube where you can catch them live or on replay.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That's an IHSSN deal, not IHSAA.

Not sure what the relationship is between IHSSN and IHSAA but if they are separate entities then there is a contract between IHSSN & IHSAA. So the decision by IHSSN to charge for previously live-streamed games has been approved by IHSAA as part of their financial arrangement.

I'll stand by my original statement that the IHSAA has made it harder for the casual fan to follow the tournament and be vested. Much different than the girls Union.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and NWICY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lipsey had a steal, drove 3/4 court going to his right, wrapped it around his back to his left hand, went back to his left hand for a reverse layup. It is ESPN worthy!!

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Lipsey's basketball IQ is off the charts. Everything is so smooth and effortless with him. He is going to be an instant crowd favorite.
Aright let’s have a discussion . Have probably watched 5 full games and highlights. I am glad he is a cyclone. Love the defense, physical, good body, handles, definitely agree with basketball IQ.
But, will he help us offensively, he is not a shooter, not super athletic, will his strengths translate to the big 12 . My fear is he can be a nice role player as ceiling and feels like that might be our entire class. Probably means run some people off current team and hit transfer portal.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Aright let’s have a discussion . Have probably watched 5 full games and highlights. I am glad he is a cyclone. Love the defense, physical, good body, handles, definitely agree with basketball IQ.
But, will he help us offensively, he is not a shooter, not super athletic, will his strengths translate to the big 12 . My fear is he can be a nice role player as ceiling and feels like that might be our entire class. Probably means run some people off current team and hit transfer portal.
Care to add anything @Final42b? Trying to have a discussion

• Dumb
Reactions: JCity

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
“Not super athletic”…
He might be able to see the field for us at JTS in the fall if he wanted but he’s not super athletic.

Reactions: heitclone

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
“Not super athletic”…
He might be able to see the field for us at JTS in the fall if he wanted but he’s not super athletic.
Fair, Athletic can be defined by wide variety of ways I probably should of used quick. He’s not a blow by pg or going to play above the rim. Definitely not un-athletic. Tyrese Hunter is super athletic in my mind and I am sure you can see the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisISnextyear

Help Support Us

Become a patron