Pollard on Cyclone Club Level Changes

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Once upon a time, there was a $50 option for people under 30. I don't recall what perks, if any, were offered besides the snazzy window sticker.
For most folks of limited means it is very much a transaction, I donate this to get that - when I told my wife our donation was going up to $750 her first question was what else are we getting. Even after we stop attending football games I will probably still donate at $100 or so just out of loyalty but I'm not sure how many are willing to do that.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah the 50% number surprised me too. We we’re always going to increase, but you don’t want to make people feel like you’re milking them rather than trying to find new donors.
Yeah it is is a big jump, but it hasn't been raised in over 35 years. One dollar on average in 1986 bought an item that would cost $2.54 in 2021. So yeah, 50% all at once is tough, but inflation is 154% since it was last raised. Too bad ISU was so terrible for so long that they didn't think they could raise it regularly. Now they have to try to make up for lost time.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
We are in the same boat, that $99 deal was back when we were struggling to fill Hilton during Wayne Morgan's tenure. I knew eventually they would go up in price and we never flinched when they were raising them by about $25 a year because even when they got up to $200 it was basically $10 a game on average. Sill not terrible today for basically $14 a game as when we are good you can't even find nosebleeds for that for a good match up.

$17/game now since there are fewer home games with the pre-season tournaments. I’m not complaining, just noting that This works out to an annual 10% increase (per game) without requiring a donation, and I would be willing to wager that the AD has done market research to figure out which is more effective. Also, this was McDermott era, but prices started going up once the team started winning.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
$17/game now since there are fewer home games with the pre-season tournaments. I’m not complaining, just noting that This works out to an annual 10% increase (per game) without requiring a donation, and I would be willing to wager that the AD has done market research to figure out which is more effective. Also, this was McDermott era, but prices started going up once the team started winning.

I'd have to go back and ask the guy that got our seats originally what year we got them but I am almost certain the $99 seats started during Morgan's tenure. They did stay $99 for part of McDermott's tenure before they gradually started to raise the prices.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I'd have to go back and ask the guy that got our seats originally what year we got them but I am almost certain the $99 seats started during Morgan's tenure. They did stay $99 for part of McDermott's tenure before they gradually started to raise the prices.

Before I had season tickets, I bought corner uppers from the university on a deal for I think $5 or $7 each. Took the family, some extra kids etc.

That was for a fantastic team for the Fizer dunks over Mihm Texas game. It takes a few years of success to REALLY sell out consistently and drive the value of having a ticket up.

Reactions: CYdTracked

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Yeah it is is a big jump, but it hasn't been raised in over 35 years. One dollar on average in 1986 bought an item that would cost $2.54 in 2021. So yeah, 50% all at once is tough, but inflation is 154% since it was last raised. Too bad ISU was so terrible for so long that they didn't think they could raise it regularly. Now they have to try to make up for lost time.
Agree, I think a lot of the problem is timing. Do this before covid when the economy was really good and before the current inflation spike and while people would still complain it would probably go over a little easier.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Agree, I think a lot of the problem is timing. Do this before covid when the economy was really good and before the current inflation spike and while people would still complain it would probably go over a little easier.
I agree, but there is never an easy time to dig deeper into people's pockets. Gotta just bite the bullet. We may lose some season ticket holders in some sports but I'm sure they will find an equilibrium point.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'm confused - what hasn't been raised in over 35 years?

• Winner
Reactions: Clonedogg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, no way to know covid was coming.
I will just add this. When you have a situation where you have donation levels for certain seats and there are many more folks paying the required donation than there are seats and can't sniff a seat in that level there needs to be adjustments made. Either you increase seats at that level or you increase the donation for that level. People feel cheated when they pay premium level donation for years and can't get the same premium level seat. It is my understanding that this has been the case in Hilton for years.

Reactions: Sparkplug

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
What constitutes a donation at the States, Cardinal, Gold, etc. levels for Cyclone Club.

States was $250, going up to $300
Cardinal was $500, going up to $750
Gold was $1000, going up to $1500
etc.
Are you sure? I remember we joined for $25 when we lived in Sac County. That was ages ago, but I didn't think it was 35 years ago.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Are you sure? I remember we joined for $25 when we lived in Sac County. That was ages ago, but I didn't think it was 35 years ago.
Did you perhaps join at the lower "just got done being a student" rate? I think they had a deal where for the first 10 years, maybe, after graduation you could get CC membership quite a bit cheaper.

I know for a fact that the Century level has been $100 since I was in school in the mid '80s. And States was often called States 250 because it was $250 back then as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
I remember prior to Pollard the season tickets were all the same price. During the early 90s in Hilton, we were in the balcony behind the basket 14 rows up and paid the same price as the lower level center court tickets. Same was for football except hillsides and end zone bleachers. After Orr, the demand dropped off for basketball tickets and football didn't have many season tickets holders. I always was of the belief that there needed to be variable ticket prices beyond the donations.

Pollard finally introduced variable ticket pricing after he showed up and he set the prices to maximize the revenue and attendance. This allowed people to get "addicted" to ISU sports. This is the time for him to go after the money. If ISU wants to stay as a big time program, now is the time the donors have to show their support to make ISU attractive for other conferences in case of the demise of the Big XII.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The Century level has to be $100 or it doesn't make sense. It would be like having a conference named the Big 12 that only had 10......Oh wait, never mind.
Our teams are so good they are like 12 teams. Now the big ten openly admits 4 of their teams aren’t big.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Here's a bit of a thought exercise...what's the point of having donations at all anymore, when there is no tax benefit for donating? Why not just increase ticket prices to cover the value of the "donation," charge one price and be done with it?

I can think of a few reasons why, but I'm curious what others think.