Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Staples says the Big Ten should take half of the Pac-12 and create four five-team pods. They would take Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, USC and UCLA.

4 5 team pods? One team is getting bent over the desk. Good idea on who that would be. Huskies would be PO'd.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I don't disagree, but I do think there's an element of "pulling off the band-aid" to this. The Big 12 stuck together but was always on shaky ground. This has felt somewhat inevitable. So let's get into something that will last long term and realize we may have to take a few lumps along the way.

Also, as for revenue and spending, if you are a mid-level team at any other big conference how great are you feeling about your future revenue?
I feel like all the Pac/Xii Land Grants could make a really solid, lasting league with genuine respect...but I presume we'd take a pretty big revenue hit. You're 100% right about the band-aid...we can't keep doing this sh#t.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
What other options? The ACC or SEC?
I think the B1G will talk to Texas and maybe OU individually, ND, PAC-12, and maybe the ACC. B1G will swing for fences prior to entertaining any option with Iowa State. All of these options have different levels of actually happening and different levels of negotiations.(Just my uninformed opinion of course.)

Last edited:
Reactions: RealisticCy

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
why? a team that has lost 4 times is obviously not the best team in the country and viable for the national champ.

Because every talking head will say "but look at who they lost to: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and LSU...." without paying attention to who they actually beat, like they do every year to justify whatever they want to happen. They justified Ohio State last year when they played what, 6 games?

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Could you expound on this? I get that we may be talking about going from P4 to P2 but wouldn't that mean we would need to be going to the B1G with Pac schools? Seem to me the options are: get into a power league or get left behind. What am I missing (serious question)?
I my post wasn't very clear. I meant the PAC-12 and B1G will explore all their options prior to talking to ISU.

Reactions: 20eyes

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
$$$$$ and also 8-4 in the SEC will likely have a stronger consideration for the playoff than a 10-2 ACC team or 10-2 Big 10 west team.

yeah, but they could have made more money by pitching schools like Oregon, USC etc to form a bigger conference and OU still would have been one of the top dogs. I mean they aren't having any trouble making the playoffs and this doesn't increase Texas's chance of making the playoffs. Bottom line is if you win enough games you will be considered for the playoffs no matter where you are. It has been shown as well that playing weaker schedules doesn't get you any points docked with the playoff committee.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Honestly, it will probably be a B10/Pac12 and AAC/SEC and will exist like the AFL/NFL did. Then it will merge again.

• Agree
Reactions: RealisticCy

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016

Staples says the Big Ten should take half of the Pac-12 and create four five-team pods. They would take Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, USC and UCLA.

And then we would make a conference of Washington State, Oregon State, Boise State, Utah, BYU, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Iowa State. Add in West Virginia if they have no where else to go along with Houston or Cincinnati for 16.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't disagree, but I do think there's an element of "pulling off the band-aid" to this. The Big 12 stuck together but was always on shaky ground. This has felt somewhat inevitable. So let's get into something that will last long term and realize we may have to take a few lumps along the way.

Also, as for revenue and spending, if you are a mid-level team at any other big conference how great are you feeling about your future revenue?

This exactly. People thinking that the big players in each conference aren't setting the stage to maximize value are crazy. The bottom line is ISU, KU, and Okie St. are worth more than Vandy, Wake, BC, Rutgers, and Northwestern from a sports media perspective. Hell, look at the ACC per team payout, then consider what Clemson, ND and to a lesser extent FSU, UNC, UVa are worth. Being more valuable than the bottom of the ACC is a very low bar.

I'm not sure how all the GoR work, but if say 10/14 of the ACC are needed to dissolve and can the GoR, who's to say the top 10-12 of the conference don't do that? Hell, same goes for Big 10, SEC, and any conference.

None of these low men in their conferences should feel secure. On one hand you have everybody saying how cutthroat this is all going to be, but dismissing the idea that these conferences have a path to dissolve, dump a couple bottom feeders, and reconstitute a new league.

• Winner
Reactions: isucy86

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Honestly, it will probably be a B10/Pac12 and AAC/SEC and will exist like the AFL/NFL did. Then it will merge again.

Agreed.....it'll stop when the programs with the most influence are happy with the share of the money they are getting and who they are sharing it with.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
why? a team that has lost 4 times is obviously not the best team in the country and viable for the national champ.

Well, see, 8-4 in the SEC, the greatest conference in the land, is equivalent to 1 or 2 losses in a lesser conference because of the supreme nature of the competition even if one of the losses is to Vanderbilt which is excusable because it's hard to stay focused all the time in the greatest conference in the land and sometimes great teams overlook certain opponents who just happen to be in the greatest conference in the land so a loss like that really doesn't matter or even count, so it's like 3 losses which is like going undefeated in any other conference when you're playing in the greatest conference in the land.