Tamin Lipsey Commits

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Again, we have to remember the UConn game itself. Inane out, Hogue is moved into a prominent role. He scored 34, which is more than Niang’s career high. And UConn still controlled that game.
Of course ISU had a chance, but we got kind of a miracle game from Hogue and made a few runs, but UConn always had an answer. I really don’t think ISU even wins that game vs UConn, and would probably have been underdogs every game after.

It's really hard to gauge the absence of a great all around player in the college game.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Huh, I had thought he was a lot higher rated than that. Either way, great pickup.
A lot of course is missing a year due to the knee injury. Another is that he had a lot of excitement at a young age because of his size, probably had some thought he might grow more.
I think we will see him rise through the summer. He was a little rusty being out for so long, but I would say physically he is fully back and b-ball-wise is really close.
My daughter did an injury rehab with the guys that train Lipsey. He is back physically, and I would stronger and more explosive than he has been.

HTOWN Cyclone

May 27, 2018
Again, we have to remember the UConn game itself. Niang out, Hogue is moved into a prominent role. He scored 34, which is more than Niang’s career high. And UConn still controlled that game.
Of course ISU had a chance, but we got kind of a miracle game from Hogue and made a few runs, but UConn always had an answer. I really don’t think ISU even wins that game vs UConn, and would probably have been underdogs every game after.

we were rolling at the end of that game after putting ourselves in a huge hole
if that UConn kid doesn’t drain that 3 pointer in the deep corner as the shot clock expired, I think we win the game. Went to a 6 point lead with about minute left I think.

but we were in total control for the last 5 minutes of the game

Clyde4cy

Oct 22, 2018
Again, we have to remember the UConn game itself. Niang out, Hogue is moved into a prominent role. He scored 34, which is more than Niang’s career high. And UConn still controlled that game.

Edozie started in Niang’s place. It is hard to overstate how big of a drop off that is.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I am sure Las Vegas enjoys taking your money with that attitude. Next thing I know you're going to be telling Marial Shayok has an ugly girlfriend so that means he lacks the confidence of an alpha male.

I bet if those two teams play 100 times, the outcome is pretty close to 50-50, yeah. I have never said the Shayok team was substantially better than the 2014 team, though. Just that they were similar overall.

View attachment 84204

Throwing out the meh/bad 2018 team, pretty much all of the squads above that made the NCAA tournament were pretty similar to one another. All of them had talent and accomplishments but also minor inconsistencies that cost them a top ten rating and the chance at a deep run in the NCAA tournament for various reasons.

I think all these teams are worthy of celebrating to about an equal degree.

I just don't see the 2014 team as somehow "special" because it pulled a particularly large number of dramatic games out of its butt in the end, because we went into that year with very limited expectations and were pleasantly surprised, and because Georges broke his foot and if not "we were going to win a national championship."

That despite the fact we wouldn't have been favored against any of the next four opponents we'd have had.
IMO the 2015 team was better but totally fell apart. No one is castigating Fred for it like they have been doing with Prohm. If you had been sitting in the stands that game you would have wanted to crawl out. Fred showed a real weakness in his coaching that game.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Edozie started in Niang’s place. It is hard to overstate how big of a drop off that is.
We also need to put into perspective that UConn had an answer for everyone and everything that year. While we had the pieces that year, it just takes so much to put a run together and that's what makes it so special.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
IMO the 2015 team was better but totally fell apart. No one is castigating Fred for it like they have been doing with Prohm. If you had been sitting in the stands that game you would have wanted to crawl out. Fred showed a real weakness in his coaching that game.

I agree. I never understood why the Shayok team drew particular ire for not living up to expectations.

The last Fred team had six future NBA players and two other guys in the rotation who won all-conference honors (with McKay winning DPOTY and Hogue winning HM, if I remember this correctly).

The Shayok team had three future NBA players -- one of which (Shayok) only had a cup of coffee and the other two guys, Horton-Tucker and Haliburton, likely going on to long and lucrative NBA careers but they were only very young 18-year old freshman that season in Ames. Compare that to the last Fred team, which had experienced/upperclassmen guys (Niang, Nader, Morris, Thomas, BDJ, and Naz) who would eventually carve out roles in the NBA.

That team didn't win the Big 12 regular season despite controlling its own destiny with four games to go. Instead of going 4-0 to win outright or 3-1 to tie with Kansas, they decided to go 2-2 and fumble it away.

Then they lost to a trash UAB team -- #137 on BT that season, and Ohio State was #45 in 2019 for comparison.

I think that season is easily our worst missed opportunity and the largest spread between talent on the roster and actual accomplishments of the team. But for some reason you-know-who has maybe 1% of the ire regarding the BDJ chair-throwing/losing to a #14 as they have for the 2019 team losing to a #11 seed.

Gee, I wonder why.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree. I never understood why the Shayok team drew particular ire for not living up to expectations.

The last Fred team had six future NBA players and two other guys in the rotation who won all-conference honors (with McKay winning DPOTY and Hogue winning HM, if I remember this correctly).

The Shayok team had three future NBA players -- one of which (Shayok) only had a cup of coffee and the other two guys, Horton-Tucker and Haliburton, likely going on to long and lucrative NBA careers but they were only very young 18-year old freshman that season in Ames. Compare that to the last Fred team, which had experienced/upperclassmen guys (Niang, Nader, Morris, Thomas, BDJ, and Naz) who would eventually carve out roles in the NBA.

That team didn't win the Big 12 regular season despite controlling its own destiny with four games to go. Instead of going 4-0 to win outright or 3-1 to tie with Kansas, they decided to go 2-2 and fumble it away.

Then they lost to a trash UAB team -- #137 on BT that season, and Ohio State was #45 in 2019 for comparison.

I think that season is easily our worst missed opportunity and the largest spread between talent on the roster and actual accomplishments of the team. But for some reason you-know-who has maybe 1% of the ire regarding the BDJ chair-throwing/losing to a #14 as they have for the 2019 team losing to a #11 seed.

Gee, I wonder why.
Yeah, Fred ****** us on that one.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Because you-know-who led our program to its best era ever and is in the rafters as an Iowa State player. The other buried that same program that you-know-who built in a matter of five years.

Maybe you-know-who earned a little more leeway than the other guy.

"You-know-who" wasn't referring to Hoiberg -- mostly to certain posters (or really just the one) who still complain about 2019 like Steve Prohm ran over their dog and boinked their girlfriend that season.

I get the warm fuzzy feeling about Fred given his origin story, but evidently he didn't care all that much about it when he left for the Bulls and took the Nebraska job, one of our historical tormentors. Jerk.

I suggest we have the same attitude. Fred's record as a coach has to stand on its own, and despite some of the talent he brought in, he only ever made the second weekend of the NCAA tournament once. He had two nice runs in Kansas City (though one was without Embiid standing in his way) and never won the B12 regular season.

It was a great era by the standards of Iowa State basketball, but it was not some transcendent success we can never equal again and had its fair share of missed opportunities, like the 2015 season overall.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Okay guys. No more Cyclone Basketball History discussion unless it pertains directly to Lipsey. Start a separate thread to continue your discussion if you like.

I am very excited for Tamin Lipsey and, considering how fast Hunter is blowing up, we might need him running the PG position sooner than we might imagine. Maybe even as a sophomore or even a freshman.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If you guaranteed me today we get Hunter for two years I’d jump on it. I’m thinking it will be one.

The second year of the TJO administration sets up really nice if Hunter is who we hope he is and he stays a second year. Plus, that would give Lipsey and King an understudy year behind Hunter, Brockington, and Kalscheur before they depart and they can take over as more experienced sophomores alongside old man Grill.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The second year of the TJO administration sets up really nice if Hunter is who we hope he is and he stays a second year. Plus, that would give Lipsey and King an understudy year behind Hunter, Brockington, and Kalscheur before they depart and they can take over as more experienced sophomores alongside old man Grill.
Brockington has taken a redshirt. Odds of him sticking around for year 6 likely isn't strong.