Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve interviewed roughly 400 developers, analysts, and managers over the past 10 years. I have never looked at somebody’s degree or asked about their formal education. I’ve found that means little to nothing in the technology and insurance sectors where experience and hands-on learning give me everything I need to know about a candidate. In the 5 or so years prior to that, I would pay attention to degree and almost always found those that didn’t have a formal degree worked harder to learn than those that did.

There are professions where a degree is helpful, and always will be (engineering, chemistry, biology, etc) but those are decreasing in number in my opinion. MBAs, Liberal Arts, etc just don’t sway me personally when interviewing.

Yeah and when I worked in a private sector the specific degree didn't matter and it usually came down to experience and training...although I think a bachelor's may have been a requirement, not quite sure.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Can't believe nobody caught the "Important Messgage" part of the email. I thought it was spam and deleted it.

Person who sent it probably should get tested.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I think the thought is that is will be nearly impossible to social distances while trying to enter. If they get seats set out correctly, people will be more spread out in the game.
I thought that the point of wearing a mask was to reduce spread if you couldn't maintain the 6ft distance. If you are 6ft apart, a mask is not important. The mask would be worn when entering a gate.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I could make the argument that sports are considered "essential". Probably not a popular opinion on here, but the reason I consider it essential is for people's mental health. There is so many negative things going on and people have been cooped up in their house, it would be good for people to get their mind off of things a bit to unwind. I think it would improve people's mood drastically. Mental health can be just as important as physical health

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I could make the argument that sports are considered "essential". Probably not a popular opinion on here, but the reason I consider it essential is for people's mental health. There is so many negative things going on and people have been cooped up in their house, it would be good for people to get their mind off of things a bit to unwind. I think it would improve people's mood drastically. Mental health can be just as important as physical health

If you have mental health issues stemming from not having sports you have bigger problems that need to be addressed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not downplaying mental health WHATSOEVER, but I think there's more of an argument to be made that sports are important due to the financial aspect of things. Not having sports would no doubt cause strain to some people's mental health from the entertainment standpoint, but the financial implications would affect people's jobs which would be even more strenuous towards their mental health.

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/sui...loyment-jumps-from-coronavirus-outbreak-57210

This article talks about the suicide rate increasing due to the unemployment, but unemployment is not the only factor. The physical distancing away from people can be detrimental to people. Some just need personal connection. People aren't able to see their mental health professionals too, which is a problem.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

I personally don't think we should be labeling anyone's career essential or non-essential. It's very essential to them and their family.

Reactions: Statefan10

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
My wife keeps adding to the to-do list so I need all fall to even have a chance to catch up.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I love sports just as much as anyone, but if I'm being honest I've kind of adjusted to them not being a part of my life. It'd be great to have some sports to watch, but it really hasn't been as hard as I would have thought to fill that void.

Last edited:

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Just some general information for assessing risk to this age group.

https://data.cdc.gov/widgets/9bhg-hcku

Americans 0-24 years: Covid deaths 179.
Americans 0-24 years: Death due to all causes 23,574

99.25% of people in this age group who have died this year died of something other than this virus.
I read that there are 8 million children in California under age 18. So far, that age group has zero (0) deaths from Covid. Amazing.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Key words - "enter the stadium"

We're not disciplined enough to do this.

It's funny to me that this is even a discussion -- that people can't be trusted to keep a freakin' mask on for 4 hours when they're in the stadium. Are people really that emotionally fragile when it comes to masks?

I highly doubt that we have fans this fall, but if we did move forward with the half capacity idea put forth by Pollard, I would expect every seat to be properly spaced with the expectation that masks are kept on until you leave the stadium. People really can't follow those directions? What a bunch of children.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
If you have mental health issues stemming from not having sports you have bigger problems that need to be addressed.
My point is that people need something to take their minds off of all the negatives in the world today. It may not be sports, but people festering in all of the bad in the world isn't great for anyone. We need something to be happy about and sports is one of the ways to do that.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My point is that people need something to take their minds off of all the negatives in the world today. It may not be sports, but people festering in all of the bad in the world isn't great for anyone. We need something to be happy about and sports is one of the ways to do that.

How about any 1 of the following:

1. A walk in the park
2. A bike ride
3. Playing with your kids
4. Watching a movie
5. Go fishing
6. Do a home project

there are thousands of things people can do.

Also, regarding the bolded, I will reiterate that you have bigger problems in your life if you can't find anything to be happy about and if you let "all the bad in the world" affect your mental state. If that is the case get to a Psych asap.

Reactions: Macloney

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Let's be honest, as an Iowa State fan sports make you angry and depressed much more often than they make you happy.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

1. A walk in the park
2. A bike ride
4. Watching a movie
5. Go fishing
6. Do a home project

Also, regarding the bolded, I will reiterate that you have bigger problems in your life if you can't find anything to be happy about and if you let "all the bad in the world" affect your mental state. If that is the case get to a Psych asap.
Golf golf golf. Takes up a ton of time. Competition with others / yourself. Easily can social distance. Great exercise and you're also outside.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

1. A walk in the park
2. A bike ride
4. Watching a movie
5. Go fishing
6. Do a home project

I seriously don’t understand boredom in this country in this day and age. People always like to claim there are things they will do and learn but act like they are too busy. Over this quarantine people have more free time than ever and ***** because they are bored. Let’s face it, if something takes more effort than sitting on their ass and messing with a phone, a lot of people aren’t going to do it.

Hell getting in shape is the most important thing a person can do to save their life, yet most people are gaining weight over the past four months. If staying alive doesn’t motivate people how can we expect people to wear a mask to save somebody else?

To top it off it’s almost election season and we have to hear the patronizing BS about hard-working Americans.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I seriously don’t understand boredom in this country in this day and age. People always like to claim there are things they will do and learn but act like they are too busy. Over this quarantine people have more free time than ever and ***** because they are bored. Let’s face it, if something takes more effort than sitting on their ass and messing with a phone, a lot of people aren’t going to do it.

Hell getting in shape is the most important thing a person can do to save their life, yet most people are gaining weight over the past four months. If staying alive doesn’t motivate people how can we expect people to wear a mask to save somebody else?

To top it off it’s almost election season and we have to hear the patronizing BS about hard-working Americans.

My opinion is that if you are bored and can't find something to do then you are not trying.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron