Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If Wieskamp comes back for his senior year Iowa will still be a decent team, in my opinion.

They won't be a consensus top 10 team heading into the season like this year but better than average.
They will absolutely not be consensus top 10, but I'd probably say they'd be NIT worthy if Weiskamp comes back. I still think he's gone after this year whether he's ready to leave or not.

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Wieskamp is likely too old for what he is to ever get drafted now. He'll be close to turning 22 at the time of the 2021 draft. I was pretty optimistic on his stock at the beginning of the year but he really struggled to show any ability as a playmaker and his shooting numbers dropped significantly.

Garza's best chance to get drafted is this year. This is a weaker draft than 2021 will be and it'd be hard for next season to go any better for him individually. He'll likely continue to be a liability defensively with further increased minutes and less post depth for Iowa. Hard to say whether or not someone would take a flyer on him at the end of the 2nd round this year but a moot point since he's coming back.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wieskamp is likely too old for what he is to ever get drafted now. He'll be close to turning 22 at the time of the 2021 draft. I was pretty optimistic on his stock at the beginning of the year but he really struggled to show any ability as a playmaker and his shooting numbers dropped significantly.

Garza's best chance to get drafted is this year. This is a weaker draft than 2021 will be and it'd be hard for next season to go any better for him individually. He'll likely continue to be a liability defensively with further increased minutes and less post depth for Iowa. Hard to say whether or not someone would take a flyer on him at the end of the 2nd round this year but a moot point since he's coming back.
JW would essentially have to have a career year, which I don't see happening considering J-Bo is back and is going to want to get his shots up and obviously Garza is there and needs to touch the ball almost every time in order for Iowa to get to where they want to be.

And yes, Garza's best chance to get drafted is this year. Highly doubt he goes too.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
He was a liability down the stretch during the Fran fade
With a healthy CJ and Bohannon teams will not be able to focus on Joe W. His shooting numbers will go back up this year as long as those guys stay healthy and help spread the floor.

Surrounding Garza with 3 good shooters is going to be fun to watch. Tough to double away from any of those guys.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
With a healthy CJ and Bohannon teams will not be able to focus on Joe W. His shooting numbers will go back up this year as long as those guys stay healthy and help spread the floor.

Surrounding Garza with 3 good shooters is going to be fun to watch. Tough to double away from any of those guys.
Teams started to essentially allow Garza to get his and played the shooters straight up. I'm guessing that's how most teams will play Iowa.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

CJ is always hurt though

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who else did that besides Michigan?
Not the entire game of course. Michigan was literally the entire game, but Purdue and Illinois did it. Indiana did it as well. It didn't always work either. It's not the ultimate stopper or anything. I was just saying I bet we see a lot more teams go to that next season.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Who? Fredrick?

I thought he had a stress reaction during our game in Philadelphia against PSU and missed a couple games for that. Then he missed a few later in the year with an ankle sprain.
I honestly think you're right.. He missed the Nebraska game and then I know he came back before the Indiana game and it looked like he seriously injured his ankle that night but it ended up not being as bad.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
With a low ankle sprain which is unheard of.

He also had to redshirt his first year due to injury
Lol...Why rush a guy back before he's 100%. You have no idea where his ankle was sprained or how severe it was, so just stop. CMC allowed Purdy to keep playing on an injured ankle...it might have cost them a game or two.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Lol...Why rush a guy back before he's 100%. You have no idea where his ankle was sprained or how severe it was, so just stop. CMC allowed Purdy to keep playing on an injured ankle...it might have cost them a game or two.

Yeah CJ isn't going to come back until he's 100% that's for sure. He's battled injuries his whole career at Iowa and isn't one to tough it out if he isn't feeling perfect

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Again- 1 ball. Bohannon is a good shooter, but that means less shots for who? Garza, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Toussaint. The first 2 will want to showcase their abilities for NBA scouts.

How high Iowa scales the rankings isn't about offense, it will be about defense.
Totally speculating, but I'm guessing Bohannon plays 15-20mpg as a bench gunner this season. That way they can better hide what total liability he is on defense after double hip replacement surgery... not that he was even good before at it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron