Friday OT #1 - Casting Call

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've been listening a lot to podcasts lately at work. I'm a big fan of the one with Scott Auckerman and Adam Scott that has covered U2, REM, and now is going to start with RHCP - REM is the only of those bands that I deeply love, but they're hilarious enough to listen to talk about the weather. Also been listening to a lot of the Scrubs podcast. Backlisted is a great podcast about classic literature. I've also listened a lot in the past to Disgraceland, Homecoming, Serial, Song Exploder, Fictional, and several others. So, I mostly am interested in stuff about music, literature, crime, and I guess some general entertainment. I will tune in to Chris' podcast, but am not generally interested in most other sports podcasts because I miss the visual element there.

If you could start a successful podcast on anything under the sun, what would it be? Would it be about your job, or a hobby/interest? Life advice, or something about which you know a ton?

I remember one time doing a speech for class on classic poems that are similar to modern rock or rap songs ("Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes and "Dear Mama" by Tupac, or "The Man Who Sold the World" by Bowie and "The Psychoed" by Hugh Mearns). I think it could be semi-interesting to see how those intersect, although I think the cross-section of people interested might be small.

What are yours?

Reactions: oldman

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I would present 30 minutes of soundtrack completely devoid of human noise and interference. Nothing but birds singing, leaves rustling in the breeze, insects doing what they do, frogs, distant thunder, whatever. All the sounds ignored by people continually mouthing off. It would be interesting to see how many listeners could ID the locale by identifying the sounds they hear.

Reactions: madguy30 and Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would do one on how to simplify things and also save money.

Example, really simple meals that are also healthy.

Also for recreational hobbies like how ziplock bags can be really helpful for camping or backpacking.

Would probably be a really short lived podcast which is simple enough for me.

Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
As a co-founding OTN guy and regular contributor the obvious answer is obscure/unknown or underappreciated songs/albums/artists. Of course with the www thingee there is very little unexplored ground at this point.

Still, I would enjoy doing it if there were enough followers to make it worthwhile. And I had the discipline and knowledge to set up the technology to make it sound like something more than me and my IPhone.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I would present 30 minutes of soundtrack completely devoid of human noise and interference. Nothing but birds singing, leaves rustling in the breeze, insects doing what they do, frogs, distant thunder, whatever. All the sounds ignored by people continually mouthing off. It would be interesting to see how many listeners could ID the locale by identifying the sounds they hear.

This is one of the things I miss from when I was a regular bicyclist riding on rural county roads. That and the smells (excluding swine confinement operations).

Reactions: Turn2 and Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Kinda similar although I still side with nature: saw a doc last night called Echo in the Canyon and Jakob Dylan, Beck, Regina Spektor and Cat Power were sitting around talking music and talking about how people used to buy the record, and host listening parties where they'd literally sit around together and listen. Sounds almost impossible today even sans Covid.

Maybe it already exists but a podcast where the host has folks call in to request full albums to put on.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
As a co-founding OTN guy and regular contributor the obvious answer is obscure/unknown or underappreciated songs/albums/artists. Of course with the www thingee there is very little unexplored ground at this point.

Still, I would enjoy doing it if there were enough followers to make it worthwhile. And I had the discipline and knowledge to set up the technology to make it sound like something more than me and my IPhone.

Ever listen to Bob Door from KUNI?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I like the rewatchables will Bill Simmons which is him and buddies talking about their favorite movies. I also like how did this get made which is a podcast where the hosts crap on bad movies. So I love to do a movies podcast with some of my cf pals.

Reactions: cyclones500

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I want to do a website about sh*tty design. The idea came from the remarkable number of horribly done freehand painted Tigerhawks I've seen across Iowa on garage doors, barns, retaining walls... anywhere dumbass Iowans can express their lack of talent on as big of a scale as their love for the Hawks. This idea predates Hawkeyes on my belly guy, btw. He'd be a feature for sure.

From horrible lawn ornamentation to nonsensical house additions to third world homemade commercial signage...there is just an unbelievable amount of bad that I want to document. And that's just in NW Iowa.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I'd definitely listen to "MeanDean Off-Radar" music podcast. Subtitle idea; "Shut up, Listen and Learn Something!" :)

With proper tech and ability to devote time to it ($ or not), I'd be "in" for doing an OTN podcast.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz