"Playing for Iowa Football was a living nightmare"

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
To be fair, students / residents of Iowa City did vandalize Kinnick after the initial allegations came forward. After that, the local media essentially has been trying to downplay the entire issue, besides Rob Howe of course who has been literally the only reporter who has tried to hold the program / university accountable.

This times a thousand. I bet that this doesn’t come up on murph and Andy today except for some digs about wadley.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The Twitter comments to Rob's post are exactly how I pictured.. 1/4 of them are fans who were apologetic and sincere (including Tyler Goodon's mom), the other 3/4 were fans that are completely tone deaf, shift the blame, deflect, etc.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
At what point does Kirk start to hope there is no season this year so this can blow over for another year? This will have to be covered during telecasts this year.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
At what point does Kirk start to hope there is no season this year so this can blow over for another year? This will have to be covered during telecasts this year.
I can see it both ways. On one hand, you don't want the season because of the coverage your program will be getting following this scandal. On the other hand, if you do have the season, you can shine light on the actual play of the program

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Looks like AmericaNeedsEquality already has it parsed and uploaded...

Full text of damning description of systemic racism at UofI; link.

"I felt like playing for Iowa Football was a living nightmare. I never drank alcohol prior to going to college but based on my experience there it became the only thing I could rely on it seems and was what I did to cope. Game day was the only day that it was somewhat of a relief for me, but that even became difficult based on what happened during the week leading up to it. "

"It was clear to myself and other black teammates we were targeted to the extreme regarding not making Iowa's required weight. Trying to gain and maintain that weight in a workout after drinking pounds of Powerade and/or shakes right before working out. This made me very sick daily which included vomiting and my body aching. This was happening once a week but then went to happening everyday. I remember those that were in my group which were all Black transferred. As this was happening as I was trying my best to deal with this to help my teammates. I was threatened by Kirk Ferentz that my meal card would be taken away and I will not eat nor be able to sit with my teammates during eating sessions. He did follow through on his threat. I went to use my meal card and it was declined. I had to call my mother from New Jersey at 10 or 11pm at night because I was hungry to order Dominos Pizza for me."

Coach Brian Ferentz says, “Hey Akrum, are you going to rob a gas station?"... "Akrum are you going to rob a liquor store?"

Brian then yelled to me, “You dumb Mother ******, who the **** do you think you are!”

"I was sitting in a group meeting and it turned to the topic of my teammate Reggie Spearman who was coming off a bad knee Injury but was still trying to practice through it. Brian Ferentz was telling our Oline that he can't stand him and he wishes someone would hurt him, he hates him and he wishes he wasn't here."

A reporter said to Kirk Ferentz “Coach it’s a good thing you are going to New York because your star player Akrum Wadley who’s from New Jersey can show you guys around.” KirK Ferentz responded to him “That’s the worst thing about it!”.

"Kirk Ferentz made a way of not letting the athletes speak their mind about anything other than what and when he wanted us to speak."

"Kirk Ferentz didn't address any of the issues that I am writing this statement about today."

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
For anyone to read what Akrum posted or follow any of the other 60+ accounts of mistreatments, how could you not see there is a major problem at Iowa? I get collegiate athletics, and particularly football, is a very tough endeavor and requires a significant amount of discipline to be good. The stuff coming out of Iowa City is excessive though. Truly disgusting.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
This is a tough situation. Putting people on blast on Twitter or social media is becoming very common and something businesses and individuals have to deal with in our society.

On one hand, I doubt Akrum is lying. It is very clear though, he does not like the Iowa coaching staff.

There's so many missing details its impossible for anyone on the outside to make any accurate or appropriate judgement on these types of accusations.

In that respect, its so hard to immediately condemn or defend the Iowa coaching staff.

What do we do with these accusations? Is it a fire able offense? Do we have any proof? Do we need proof?
Who is "we"? I personally don't care and will be golfing 3 times this week. :)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
For anyone to read what Akrum posted or follow any of the other 60+ accounts of mistreatments, how could you not see there is a major problem at Iowa? I get collegiate athletics, and particularly football, is a very tough endeavor and requires a significant amount of discipline to be good. The stuff coming out of Iowa City is excessive though. Truly disgusting.
Literally the only people saying these are non-issues are those who are Iowa fans.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Silence from the media seems to indicate their feelings on how big of a deal this is to them.....
It's very common for the local media to not hammer their program. It's usually the national media that gives the story oxygen.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
It's very common for the local media to not hammer their program. It's usually the national media that gives the story oxygen.

Trust me I live in the heart of Hawkeye country I know all about the media...doesn't make it any less sickening.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Trust me I live in the heart of Hawkeye country I know all about the media...doesn't make it any less sickening.
Oh it absolutely doesn't. I just know the local media roles in some of the past scandals involving college athletics and that's been the general theme.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Any word on when this "investigation" will be wrapped up?
I posted this in another thread.
As soon as an unrelated breaking news story going viral, Iowa will quietly announce that their "independent investigation" has concluded and the actions already taken (removing Doyle) was sufficient. As soon as the timing is right, Iowa will do this and then it's back to the status quo for the Kirk regime.

Reactions: Brandon

Help Support Us

Become a patron