"Playing for Iowa Football was a living nightmare"

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Though I agree with you, I also agree with 'when is enough enough?'. I've posed this question to my far 'right' and far 'left' most 'informed' friends. Unfortunately, the answer is more elusive to the 'left' as the 'right' thought the existing laws just needed better 'enforcement'. But, regardless, there must be an answer. Otherwise, we're relegated to 'random' acts of violence continuing unabated. I welcome anyone's constructive opinions on this.

it’s simple when you realize that the quest for people of color to be given the same rights and treatments that people that look like you and I do is causing more consternation for people that look like you and I do, than actually treating people of color equally.

Jane Austin should be a must read for any one who seems to be struggling with what you seem to be. not l continuing systematic racism vs the inconvenient truth.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
More similar or harder evidence that kirk had direct communication about it?

I heard Spearman and Malik Rucker still have statements that will be made. I'm guessing it will be similar but I did hear Spearman went through hell at Iowa so maybe it will be worse

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You'll have to wait for Ms. Phelps' book for that.

Imagine defending racism because it’s your team.

you defended covering up rapes before.

But I’ll bet you were up in arms about penn st and Michigan state, even though your team did the same things

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Because we live in this country and whether anyone wants to argue with it or not, we have the best free speech laws out of any country. No doubt it's not perfect, but because of how our country works, there is no answer to the question of when these conversations will stop. Society had had enough. Our system needs fixed as a whole. I'm not radical in thinking we need to strip it down and start back over or anything along those lines, but there are things that need to be changed and it's time some people get their heads out of the sand and do so. There has already been good change, but more is needed.

I think it's also important to point out the impact COVID being at this time is. Right now, with entertainment as a whole being a sliver of what it was, the overall conversation is staying put on this movement. That's why you had some NBA players questioning whether bringing the season back would be a good thing. They were afraid they'd be a distraction from this conversation. Fortunately they've been coming up with ways to keep the conversation going while also being able to play.

The last point about the "random" acts of violence you attributed to.. I wish some of these situations wouldn't get violent, but most of them actually do start peacefully and it takes one stupid person in the crowd or one stupid police officer on the other side and then everything gets out of control. Also, while I do not advocate for violence, I can certainly see why there have been times when violence has occurred. This entire movement was being told how they could and could not protest before this. Some people just said f*** it then, and took matters into their own hands. Again, I wish it wouldn't have gotten to that level, but I'm not surprised it did.

To give a short answer though, no this is not how it will be forever. Look at any issue anywhere in the world where people have revolted. Time passes whether it be weeks or months, and things fizzle out usually. We're not in a civil war. The protests will die down at some point but CHANGE IS NEEDED.
Agree with everything you said, but an example of what I was looking for is a reorganization of 'Internal Affairs', by randomly rotating officers throughout the nation, increasing their prosecuting powers, and protecting their identity. Also, including the community on 'local' policy / training would also be a relatively simple change. These, relatively, simple adjustments would, likely, have sweeping influence in the police. If the protesting body would be content with how those are carried out, do you think the protests would calm? One thing I'm adamantly against, is increasing the number of laws. We already have the vehicles in place to render fairness, but we need to use them more vigilantly.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Agree with everything you said, but an example of what I was looking for is a reorganization of 'Internal Affairs', by randomly rotating officers throughout the nation, increasing their prosecuting powers, and protecting their identity. Also, including the community on 'local' policy / training would also be a relatively simple change. These, relatively, simple adjustments would, likely, have sweeping influence in the police. If the protesting body would be content with how those are carried out, do you think the protests would calm? One thing I'm adamantly against, is increasing the number of laws. We already have the vehicles in place to render fairness, but we need to use them more vigilantly.
Sorry I must not have read that you asked me for an example! Yes that certainly would be beneficial.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
i grew up in a little farm town too, 2000 people, all white no diversity

there’s a big world out here. We’re at the point where Folks who’ve spent their lives avoiding it, need to be dragged into it kicking and screaming.
2000 and not a single minority?? I was in a school that had 14 per grade and we were around 15-20% minorities. I’m 48. You must be older or come from a very racist town.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
2000 and not a single minority?? I was in a school that had 14 per grade and we were around 15-20% minorities. I’m 48. You must be older or come from a very racist town.

I’m a little older than you. And it most definitely was a racist community when I was growing up.

I walked on to campus at 18 with all those preconceived notions that were taught to me. As I took the opportunity to expand my sources of knowledge, it was pretty evident that there is a huge discrepancy in the way I was treated, and friends I made were treated.