Clemson and virus spread...wow!

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Seems their protocols worked. Several people tested positive and dropped out, some due to positive tests some due to contact. I guess we'll see in the next week or two whether those few positive tests turn into a lot.

You're not going to prevent all positive tests, the goal is to avoid having the virus spread rampant throughout your competitors.

They're updating the protocols which is a good sign.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-announces-adjustments-to-protocols-following-second-pos

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
As long as testing and proper protocols are in place, a season should be able to be played. Fans are a different discussion, but games should be able to take place. We may just see players missing due to testing positive and have to be ok with that.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I still think we're dreaming if we think there will be college football this fall.

Maybe without fans is still a possibility, but even that possibility is shrinking every day.

I think you are right. WE could play football, but who would we play, besides Iowa? Take the Texas teams off the schedule, and we have no schedule, for the most part.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think you are right. WE could play football, but who would we play, besides Iowa? Take the Texas teams off the schedule, and we have no schedule, for the most part.
Bring on the Fighting Frosts!!!!!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe I’m missing some here but isn’t this the whole point? How is PGA “failing” if their protocols are detecting who has it, whose been exposed and thus preventing those from competing? Ok, some some won’t be able to compete. But that’s the way it is for now so take it or leave it.

They had like 10 people drop out just because of all the positive tests of other people. It’s week 3.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Wtf is this funny?

No. It’s not funny, and my apologies if my post came across that way. I don’t like Dabo Sweeney, and it’s because I believe he puts on this “ah shucks” type persona, but he’s not that kind of guy at all. Equivalent to Roy Williams, in my mind. I do not believe his player’s well being is a top priority for him. Is their well being a priority? Yes, but only to the extent that helps him continue to cash a huge check and play Mayberry. He’s snake, and I believe the fact C-19 seems to be running rampant within his program leads me to believe he is doing his players and program wrong.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Will not help you if there aren't any other teams to play...kind of an all or none proposal here.

You know who the champions were from the NFL strike year(s)? Me either but they probably still call themselves champs. Like working at a bank where you think being the A to the EVP is a big deal.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah if the sport that requires no contact with anyone at any time including equipment can't work, I'm not sure how you do anything else for now.

I'm having a hard time thinking the protocols are bad but people are stupid about true distancing, contact with others, hand washing, etc...

At this stage (not taking about football) if you get it, it's really your fault, isn't it?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
For reference purposes

kayla-braxton-hot-looks-pics.jpg

I'm guessing covid is just one thing she's carrying. Just sayin'.

isualums

Jan 9, 2018
I sure hope we have a change in attitude by mid to late August when everyone returns to elementary, high school, and college. Covid is going to go through schools. Waukee has 2000+ high school students in a school built for 1500. There is no social distancing. If we have a knee jerk reaction to close a high school for 2 weeks or cancel a high school or college football game every time one or two students or players test positive, we will not have any sports (or in person schooling) this fall at any level.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
They had like 10 people drop out just because of all the positive tests of other people. It’s week 3.

Right but that’s how it should operate. Consistently test and do everything possible to ensure people who could spread it are sitting out quarantined. If we have football there are going to be a lot of weeks where many players are sitting out and missing games.

Definitely will require major oversight to make sure nobody cheats and plays infected players.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I'm having a hard time thinking the protocols are bad but people are stupid about true distancing, contact with others, hand washing, etc...

At this stage (not taking about football) if you get it, it's really your fault, isn't it?

Not really. Truth is no matter how careful you are and even if you mask up you still are at some level of risk every time you are around other people. And it’s hard to live life completely sequestered, downright impossible for many. people.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Yes. But that's the point of the protocols, right? Remove yourself for precaution, they'll give you a stipend to make up for it and keep the rest away from exposure.

It'll be more interesting when it comes to majors, but it's not like we're talking about 1/2 the field.

Of course the absence of the top player in football means more than it does in golf.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

That's what I've been saying too.

It doesn't really matter how well Iowa is doing with Covid at all.... we need to be looking at Oklahoma and Texas, where almost all the Big 12 is located.

Oklahoma and Texas are complete s**t shows right now.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Right but that’s how it should operate. Consistently test and do everything possible to ensure people who could spread it are sitting out quarantined. If we have football there are going to be a lot of weeks where many players are sitting out and missing games.

Definitely will require major oversight to make sure nobody cheats and plays infected players.

No I mean like 10 people that didn’t even test positive dropped out.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
No. It’s not funny, and my apologies if my post came across that way. I don’t like Dabo Sweeney, and it’s because I believe he puts on this “ah shucks” type persona, but he’s not that kind of guy at all. Equivalent to Roy Williams, in my mind. I do not believe his player’s well being is a top priority for him. Is their well being a priority? Yes, but only to the extent that helps him continue to cash a huge check and play Mayberry. He’s snake, and I believe the fact C-19 seems to be running rampant within his program leads me to believe he is doing his players and program wrong.
Understood.