Status
Not open for further replies.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
One actually useful date is on Hormel microwave bacon packs, "Use or freeze by:"

The most useless is on fresh salmon at my grocery. Usually days out from purchase but the fish is already fishy smelling. At best it maybe should be use the same day as purchase or freeze.
Use or Freeze By is the absolute best possible stamp they can use. Hormel is awesome for this. Tyson/IBP will use it for their ground products but not their whole muscle products.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
You know, for all the talented acting line-up in that movie, it wasn't really that great.
Yeah it was never very good, but one of those good bad movies.

It's like they're fighting tornados.
tenor.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Lol no. I work for a food distribution company and our main customers are restaurants. I always see the complaints/returns/refusals from customers because it's "close dated" or that they'll have to throw it away because they can only use 75% of it before the date printed on the box.
Side note - I will NEVER not smile when I see your signature. :D

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Side note - I will NEVER not smile when I see your signature. :D
I'm assuming you're talking about the johnnydugouts quote? Whenever I see him post, I want to bring up that post to him.

GTO's quote is also gold. Then the BDK/Hoiball/whatever he is now quote is just there to remind people how dumb he was/is.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
I'm assuming you're talking about the johnnydugouts quote? Whenever I see him post, I want to bring up that post to him.

GTO's quote is also gold. Then the BDK/Hoiball/whatever he is now quote is just there to remind people how dumb he was/is.
I appreciate the reminder of Old Dognuts' stupidity!

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Taking the brain stab through the nose test today. Been nice knowing y'all.

Ooh. Fun. I got to do that two weekends ago (although I only had the 4" long one, not the 8") Mine came back negative (nor did I have symptoms) but my office/jobsite has been fighting through a wave of exposures / possibles. Being in the cesspool that is Houston/Texas hasn't helped.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Ooh. Fun. I got to do that two weekends ago (although I only had the 4" long one, not the 8") Mine came back negative (nor did I have symptoms) but my office/jobsite has been fighting through a wave of exposures / possibles. Being in the cesspool that is Houston/Texas hasn't helped.

Tried finding somewhere that does the salvia test. Mercy in des moines does but when I called they said you have to show symptoms first. Have to go to Marshalltown. How test iowa doesn't have a story county testing location with all the cases popping up here is beyond me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Who is going to hit this Teed up ball?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
There are a lot of people in the restaurant industry that have no idea how 'Sell By', 'Best if Used By', 'Best By', and expiration dates work. No wonder why so many restaurants fail, they are losing money by throwing out food that's still good. :confused:
Tiger King knew better.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The food bank giving it away is essentially equivalent to selling it. A store can't sell it beyond that date. However the expectation for dairy products is that an unopened product should be good up to 14 days after the sell by date. It varies from product to product and even between manufacturers.

https://www.milkmeansmore.org/food-product-dates-clearing-up-the-confusion/#:~:text=“Use by date” – is,product at its peak quality.&text=Even if the date expires,if handled and stored properly.

I still can't get Mrs. Velo to accept that I can cut the mold off that hard cheese and the rest is still good. She could have a whole wheel of cheese and if she sees a tiny speck of mold on it the whole wheel is going in the trash.
So you're the one that still buys wheels of cheese.

Reactions: BCClone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I'll add that "as long as it's stored at correct temperatures". Milk and dairy products need to be kept between 32 and 38 degrees. Once it gets above 38 degrees, the natural bacteria starts to grow and eat the product, producing the "soured" taste. If milk sits out and gets above 38 degrees, it'll actually start knocking days off and can get "sour" before the printed on days.

You can always tell a good grocery store by observing when your milk starts to sour. If its before or right at the date, they've let the milk sit outside the cooler for too long. If you're getting 7-10+ days past that date, it means the milk has come off the cooled truck and right into the cooler and stored away from the door/light.

Light is also a big contributor, which is why your fridge's light will go out when you shut the door.
Are you sure the light goes out when you shut the door? Every time I open my fridge, the light is on.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Yeah - now that you mentioned it, I expanded your signature to see the rest of it!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Daughter broke up with her boyfriend. I'm nervous. I think we could trust this one.

If she goes back to long-haired hockey player dude I'm disowning her until she gets her MD.

Status
Not open for further replies.