DSM
*A team wears black*
HOK: HEY! WE DID THAT FIRST!

*A team runs out holding hand*

*A coach gets in trouble for being racist*

*Hoks kneel together on sideline*
HOK FAN KAREN“Check out these t shirts I made that says “The Kneel”!” were donating all of the money to the police department! Aren’t we the greatest fans in the universe? In heaven there is no beer! Or Racism! Yaaaa! Go hoks! #family #bebest

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I just did a national news google search. Looks like the "blame Doyle" narrative push is working. Let's see if it holds; it might.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don’t support hate in any form. Does this thread say clone fans feel the same?

...You have over 1100 posts on a rival message board. I can go to the tape, if you'd like to see some of your warm-and-fuzzy posts here. There are plenty.

We haven't - as several of us have been saying, it's disgusting and we shouldn't be too glib when it's here, too - which is why there have been protests here in Ames. We don't know of it in our football program, but it might be there. It's disgusting no matter where it is. We had a long thread about that racism at the time, and it's abhorrent - I think you'll find that is one of many reasons why several of us are not exactly dancing about this.

I love when people use "woke" as an insult, to try and indicate that caring about social justice is somehow to be ridiculed.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This, I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard the term" Class Act" used to describe Kirk.
Yes. I don't think one person is happy or glad that this happened at Iowa. It's disgusting behavior and sucks that it's happening in our own state. The only thing I'm finding amusing about this entire situation are the Iowa fans that are trying to shift even the smallest amount of blame towards Iowa State fans or are at least trying to make some of us look like the bad guys here.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
So do you know what the word clarifies means?
Do you know what the word spin means?

Your coaching staff couldn't even trust its players enough to let them use social media without it going though the team censor. What does that say about the very team that you are defending with your last breath. But, by all means, celebrate the vast improvements that your team is making...all because some had the courage to question the system.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
*Hoks kneel together on sideline*
HOK FAN KAREN“Check out these t shirts I made that says “The Kneel”!” were donating all of the money to the police department! Aren’t we the greatest fans in the universe? In heaven there is no beer! Or Racism! Yaaaa! Go hoks! #family #bebest

I know, kneel and wave!

Reactions: irish

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Do you know what the word spin means?

Your coaching staff couldn't even trust its players enough to let them use social media without it going though the team censor. What does that say about the very team that you are defending with your last breath. But, by all means, celebrate the vast improvements that your team is making...all because some had the courage to question the system.
"We lifted a policy just last week allowing our players to speak for themselves. See we're learning!" - Iowa fans

Reactions: Lyon309Cy

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
"We lifted a policy just last week allowing our players to speak for themselves. See we're learning!" - Iowa fans

But you know where this is headed. Just look at their Twitter page. They're about to go totally faux-progressive and sweep it all under the rug.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Put all this in context -
Colin K kneels during the anthem to protest policy brutality and vast numbers of white folks whine that he's disrespecting the flag and then he's blackballed from the NFL. Pretty much since then things have remained the same and black folks continue to be abused by police.

Then, a black man is murdered, yes murdered by a white police officer, and we all see the blatant act on video. A county attorney, after some time, files a third degree murder charge. Protests occur due to this poor justice. Finally, during the protests, there is some property damage.

And now, we're seeing some movement towards solviing police brutality.

No one likes riots and looting, but it does get people's attention. Maybe if white america had been listening to what our black and brown brothers and sisters have been telling us about all these decades, we wouldn't be here.

Many white folks want black protesters to protest in a certain way.....not by kneeling, not by protesting, etc., but in a way the doesn't threaten the systems of white supremacy and privilege that exist in the US.

We saw the same thing in this thread. Folks are going crazy about some graffiti on Niles Kinnick statute but they don't do anything that to resolve the root cause.

Someone posted, maybe you, an analogy to a child's temper tantrum. The comparison was just plain crap.

Every time our black and brown brothers and sisters step outside they know that their lives are not as valued as white lives. (Even when they're in their own home too.) This is a life and death situation for them. A temper tantrum certainly is not, and neither is some paint on a statue of a football player that white folks worship.

Listen to what minorities are telling us. And if you're white don't tell people of color how they should behave.
Besides listening to the African-American community on this issue, what are some additional things that I can do to help? I want to help make a positive difference.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
But you know where this is headed. Just look at their Twitter page. They're about to go totally faux-progressive and sweep it all under the rug.
I understand they're trying to save face, but retweeting current player's opinions won't help the matter imo. This isn't a players issue at hand, it's a coaching and program issue. I would say Iowa should have Brian, Kirk, and Doyle make some statements but I don't think that'd be the smartest thing to do at this point in time.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Hate is hate, clone fans are just confirming what I have always thought.
Confirming what, that they hate dumbass fans like you? That's not a controversial viewpoint to hold.

You'll find any way to make Iowa-centric problems about ISU and ISU fans. Impressive, honestly.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
This is literally being suggested on their 247 forums.

Just about had my internet fill for the day.
Link pls, that's a goldmine waiting to happen.
Inb4 "yeah it accomplishes the exact same thing and represents the exact same cause, but our kneeling isn't during the anthem, so that makes it okay and respectful"

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I don’t in any way condone racist activity. If that occurred I expect those individuals to be held accountable for it. Are clone fans demanding Dabo’s firing for using the n-word? How about the FSU coach or the coach at Utah? Are clone fans going to rally around each and every incident that is reported or are you all going to just worry about Iowa?

There is a HUGE difference between an individual act and the culture of the program.

With that said, someone that takes an individual action that is questionable is going to invite deeper scrutiny into their program. As for your examples above, they should get a culture enema if they make comments like that. If their incremental action turns out to be part of a larger cultural issue - Fry Em! If it was a regrettable, isolated mistake - move on.

What is going on in Iowa City sounds to be pervasive culturally, way beyond a regrettable statement or two.

BTW, I think if you go back and look at cultural train wrecks of similar magnitude - Penn State and Baylor - there was (is) a similar level of disgust on here.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Money where my mouth is (other posters agreed with this, BTW):

Posted on 48 mins, V I P, User Since 209 months ago, User Post Count: 12
  • 48 minsVIP
  • 209 months
Just a idea but why not kneel during the wave and leave the anthem alone. I see it as a win/win. Brings awareness to both good cause at once!

Status
Not open for further replies.