Tyler Harris Commits to ISU.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I just find the whole piling on Fred thing stupid. He’s been gone 5 years, move on already. He brought us an era of sustained success that we may never see here again.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Even if Fred stays, there is nothing that guarantees the program continues to ascend. Indeed, cracks in the foundation were showing in 2015, remembering...

-- they still could not play defense, which meant if they were not shooting well on a particular night, they were capable of losing to absolutely anybody

-- inexplicable losses to trash teams like South Carolina, Texas Tech, and (sorry that I have to say this) UAB that limited the ceiling for the team in the rankings

-- blowing winning the Big 12 regular season title when all they had to do was close out mediocre Baylor and Kansas State teams to accomplish it

-- various disciplinary problems... BDJ as a whole, the "frosted tips," it came off as a team that was arrogant and cocksure and not really locked in as needed

-- the transfer market was already becoming tighter, so not sure Fred could have kept mining that as efficiently as he had in previous spring recruiting cycles

Fred took the program from a dumpster fire to respectable and competitive, but going from 15-20th nationally to beating out the blue bloods routinely on the court and with recruiting (such as, say, Virginia has, to give an example) is a whole new thing. The level of competition at that ratified of air for college basketball is murderous. I kind of wonder if Fred was finding his peak in 2014 and 2015 given his strengths and weaknesses.

That being said, that was still a pretty fun era. I would be happy to return to that. But the people acting like Fred would have just kept winning 2-3 more games and advancing one more round in the NCAA tournament in a linear fashion like clockwork need to have their head examined. That is not how college basketball works whatsoever.

laughing that someone thinks "frosted tips" equals disciplinary problem

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Oh come on, it is a metonym and you know it. It doesn’t take a genius to see that Fred ran a pretty loose ship, which was to his benefit much of the time but came back to bite him in 2015 when the program starting having some very high, championship ambitions. It would not have shocked me if that would have been the start of a trend, not an aberration.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
We sure got lucky avoiding the pending doom coming under Hoiberg!

At least, that’s what a few posters tell themselves as they cry themselves to sleep. The more Prohm loses, the more prominent thus coping mechanism becomes imo.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I just find the whole piling on Fred thing stupid. He’s been gone 5 years, move on already. He brought us an era of sustained success that we may never see here again.

I do not know where anybody is "piling on" Fred here.

In a rare moment of consensus on here, I think we all appreciate what he did in Ames and thank him for revitalizing the program after Morgan and McDermott. I think all of us would probably agree, too, that the "best" solution would have been Fred committing to Iowa State and the college game for the long haul, working on his weaknesses as a coach,* and probably having a long and productive career in Ames.

*Everybody has a few, unless your name is Red, Pat, Phil, Pop, Coach K, John Wooden, or Dean Smith. Fred's limited but very present flaws in Ames included little commitment to playing defense and dominating on the boards, the long-term of uncertainty of relying on a transfer market that was going to become more competitive at some point, and needing to want to do the hard work of grinding out with recruiting. He also needed to learn to tolerate that college basketball is an unfair game and a cesspool when programs like Kansas can pay their players so much and swimming in the deep end with the sharks (e.g., with Vaughn and UNLV, etc.) can be quite the frustrating and bad experience.

Alas, he did not commit to such a story, went off to Chicago and ruined his reputation, and now he is trying to rebuild it in Nebraska. I doubt he will be able to do it consider his level of recruiting so far, and BT had Nebraska as #121 nationally next year. Nevertheless, he was an excellent college basketball coach in Ames, but that does not mean he was somehow a perfect one. Pointing out a few of his limitation is not "piling on." We all appreciate what he did and wish he stayed, but life is not always a happy ending.

At least, that’s what a few posters tell themselves as they cry themselves to sleep. The more Prohm loses, the more prominent thus coping mechanism becomes imo.

What a complete strawman.

Pointing out Fred might have stalled about where he was in 2014 and 2015 with a very good program in the #10-25 range or so nationally but not advance further is not "pending doom and gloom." It is acknowledging some of the (relatively few) problems the program had in those two years -- again, lack of defense and consistency of effort -- holding it back from winning a Big 12 regular season title, which some of you still say is the ultimate arbiter as to if a team and a coach is finally successful in Ames somehow.

I just find the implied and explicit "Fred had the program ascending!" messages quite tenuous or even nonsensical. I would imagine the most likely outcome for Fred sticking around longer is oscillating about that same level -- a very good level, mind you! -- but finding breaking into the top ten nationally on a consistent basis for a non-blue blood is very hard to do, if not impossible, so he might have been "stuck" there if only for the fact the level of competition was so intense and the college game so dirty.

The harder you push on a spring, the harder it pushes back at you.

Last edited:

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

Swarthy, That’s not what anyone says.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
OK. Let's be honest for once. I don't think anyone truly hates Fred on this site unless they are a troll.

I think it's just tiresome for some Fanatics who support our team no matter who the coach is to continually hear Prohm compared to Fred. It is a counterproductive and futile discussion.

While Fred had his own coaching issues that limited his very talented teams from reaching the next level (primarily playing NBA defensive schemes that don't work as well with a shorter three point line), he was a great coach and great for rebuilding the ISU program. Deep down, I think everyone appreciates that.

I truly think he may have even overcome the above issues and taken the program to the next level if he truly wanted to be at ISU for life as I think he would've landed some of those elite recruits if he would have been able to honestly say I'll be there for your entire career.

However, his dream and his heart were elsewhere.

So, I for one won't dwell on a someone who's eyes are drifting to the next best thing. Maybe its my old school upbringing, but I prefer to just let him go, wish him well and appreciate what I have rather than comparing someone who doesn't want to be at ISU with someone who does.

Cue the complaining from the Prohm must be fired clan.

Reactions: JP4CY and Psyclone

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
That's not true. Solomon caught up pretty well his freshman year. It's normal for an injury to set back a freshman, regardless of coach.

True, I forgot about Solo. Hopefully this ends like Solo and not like Zion.

Also I meant it more as a “recent history” than a jab at Prohm. Happened with Custer under Hoiberg, too, although that was an illness.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron