Central Iowa BBQ supplies

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
For wood, it just depends on what you're smoking. I've found Apple wood to be the most versatile.

I'd also invest in at least 2 meat probes. One to monitor the meat temp, and another to monitor the smoker temp; most smokers have a thermometer, but they're not always the most accurate. I like these as you don't need to be outside with the smoker to monitor it.
https://tinyurl.com/y8f3eejn
This model is on Amazon for cheaper, FYI

I really like my InkBird IBBQ-4T. It came with 4 probes. Always use two. It was $100 and it's Wifi which has been great. Tracks temps even if you get disconnected from it and come back later, charts out the temps.

Reactions: CloneGuy8

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I have a Char-broil electric smoker. Smoking a chuck roast right now that’s been cooking since 9 am.

Reactions: DBQR4CY and dmclone

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I would invest in a couple of oven therms to give you an idea on smoker temps. I’ve used a lot of rubs over the years and have just settled on 50/50 salt pepper. For pork butt, I will sprinkle a BBQ rub after I pull it. I will also dry brine with just kosher salt over night. Give www.pelletfan.com a try. Gotta go get my ribs bribed now.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, Sam's currently has 2-20lb bags of Kingsford charcoal for under $17. Seems like a good price considering I've gotten 16lb bags from $8.99-$10.
Do you use charcoal briquettes instead of lump charcoal in your smoker?

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Do you use charcoal briquettes instead of lump charcoal in your smoker?

Not the OP, but I do. Even with tinkering with my cooking process, I always use briquettes, because I like the consistent size that they offer. I have used lump charcoal before, but when I pour them out of the bag, some the pieces fall through the chimney so I stopped using it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not the OP, but I do. Even with tinkering with my cooking process, I always use briquettes, because I like the consistent size that they offer. I have used lump charcoal before, but when I pour them out of the bag, some the pieces fall through the chimney so I stopped using it.
I even think theres a gigantic difference between Kingsford and other brands.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Hawgeyes for sure. Fireplace and BBQ Center on 86th in Clive has good selection of chunks.

Best thing about Hawgeyes is despite the name, the dude running the register is normally sporting an ISU hat.

Also, I know nothing about Weber brand chips and chunks but that’s what Ankeny Hardware carries. They had 4 or 5 different types of chunks when I was there today picking up some other stuff.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm in too big of a meat coma to post suggestions now, but will later.

Broke in a new smoker today around 5 am, just finished the feast an hour ago. 4 racks of ribs, 20 chicken hindquarters, pulled pork, bacon wrapped stuff jalapenos (homemade, f the stuff in the supermarket), and the ladies made sides galore (often with bacon).

The holiday weekend started out successful today, but I may be out on this sort of things the next two days. Finishing it off with a firepit now.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm in too big of a meat coma to post suggestions now, but will later.

Broke in a new smoker today around 5 am, just finished the feast an hour ago. 4 racks of ribs, 20 chicken hindquarters, pulled pork, bacon wrapped stuff jalapenos (homemade, f the stuff in the supermarket), and the ladies made sides galore (often with bacon).

The holiday weekend started out successful today, but I may be out on this sort of things the next two days. Finishing it off with a firepit now.

We need pics!!! What kind of smoker did you get?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Wood chips are best used in a smoker box or wrapped in foil. Chips directly on the charcoal will burn fast and cause spikes in your heat. If using charcoal get wood chunks.