Central Iowa BBQ supplies

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Maybe this has been covered before in another thread but got a smoker for my birthday this year and while Covid doesn't make things easy to get supplies, where do you get yours? I talking about things that help with the cook, tools, rubs, sauces, meats, and fuel (pellets, charcoal, and wood). So, where do you get yours?

Mines been between Fleet Farm (I live in Ankeny), Sam's and Amazon. No idea where to get woods.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Also share what you're cooking with. Don't be a snob and say one smoker is better or less than others or there's some kind of purity.

I have a Dyna-glow vertical offset smoker.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Maybe this has been covered before in another thread but got a smoker for my birthday this year and while Covid doesn't make things easy to get supplies, where do you get yours? I talking about things that help with the cook, tools, rubs, sauces, meats, and fuel (pellets, charcoal, and wood). So, where do you get yours?

Mines been between Fleet Farm (I live in Ankeny), Sam's and Amazon. No idea where to get woods.

Was at the Mason City Mills last night and they had a large wood selection of many kinds. Would think the one by you would have the same.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
For rubs, I usually make them myself. For wood, I usually get that at Walmart. Walmart actually has a decent selection of wood, such as hickory, pecan, mesquite, and apple. They have chunks in all those types and splits in hickory. If Walmart doesn't have it in store, then you always get it online.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
For rubs, I usually make them myself. For wood, I usually get that at Walmart. Walmart actually has a decent selection of wood, such as hickory, pecan, mesquite, and apple. They have chunks in all those types and splits in hickory. If Walmart doesn't have it in store, then you always get it online.

Yeah, trying a simple rub that I made for the Pork Butt I got going right now. Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and what paprika we had left for some color. Lol.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
I like a little jalapeño flavor as long as it’s not overpowering. Lazy Toad Blackberry Jalapeño BBQ sauce from Valentine Food Company is amazing (I got it at Fareway a few times, but wasn’t there last time I checked). Also like Countryside’s Jalapeño BBQ sauce (has a little stronger flavor). Both these are made in Iowa (or at least Iowa companies). Rib Rack also has some good BBQ sauces - Campfire Cider! For rubs, I usually just mix up different spices depending on what I’m smoking (almost always include at least some Oregano).

I have a Grilla pellet smoker (Grilla Pro).

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, trying a simple rub that I made for the Pork Butt I got going right now. Salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and what paprika we had left for some color. Lol.

Sam's definitely helps with buying in bulk for spices. I have used my fair share of coarse kosher salt and coarse black pepper.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, been there a few times. Either their grilling/smoker area is busy or with Covid it's just hard to keep stocked. I wanted a charcoal chimney and had to order from Amazon. But they don't have or haven't had wood outside of shredded stuff in small bags.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I normally go to hawgeyes for rubs, sauces, etc. Pretty much any of the grocery stores have the common types of chips. Meat normally comes from Sams.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Fareway carries Lumberjack pellets - selection is hit or miss though. Bomgaars has them too. Cabela's pellets are solid and are made by Lumberjack.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
For wood, it just depends on what you're smoking. I've found Apple wood to be the most versatile.

I'd also invest in at least 2 meat probes. One to monitor the meat temp, and another to monitor the smoker temp; most smokers have a thermometer, but they're not always the most accurate. I like these as you don't need to be outside with the smoker to monitor it.
https://tinyurl.com/y8f3eejn
This model is on Amazon for cheaper, FYI

Reactions: KezClone