Will the Iowa State Fair happen this year?

Will the Iowa state fair happen in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 84 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 177 58.0%
  • I will not be going if it does open because of COVID-19

Votes: 44 14.4%

• Total voters

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
How many people go to the fair by themselves?? If you need 36sq ft per person, you would have room, but it would be one crazy dance with people moving around, would need people standing on tractors and displays also to get each square foot. The other part would be some places have multiple levels so if a building has two floors that would double the squre feet of that space.

I was referencing Walmarts alleged 200 sq ft per person restriction. The math might or might not work out on that, but in practice, people group up regularly.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Minnesota has an announcement on our state fair tomorrow. The Star Tribune has a poll open on whether it should happen or not. I assumed there would be an overwhelming 'yes it should in some capacity' type response. Not the case. 70% think it shouldn't happen, 20% think it should, and 10% think it's too early to decide.

I'm in Minnesota too. I don't expect they'll have the state fair. Walz is being more cautious than about any other governor out there, so I can't imagine it will proceed, even at a modified version. They do about 250,000 a day so that one is going to hurt a lot of people very bad. Hell, the chocolate chip cookie lady does $1-2m in business at the state fair every year.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm in Minnesota too. I don't expect they'll have the state fair. Walz is being more cautious than about any other governor out there, so I can't imagine it will proceed, even at a modified version. They do about 250,000 a day so that one is going to hurt a lot of people very bad. Hell, the chocolate chip cookie lady does $1-2m in business at the state fair every year.
Isn’t Minnesota’s fair more consumer focused instead of ag focused?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Isn’t Minnesota’s fair more consumer focused instead of ag focused?

I'm not sure exactly. There's certainly a large ag presence. Lots of buildings full of animals and exhibits to look at. But then the midway/concerts are a huge draw, as well. They frequently draw 250,000 people a day though, so whatever they do, it draws a big crowd that I'm sure lots of vendors depend on for income.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Sweet Martha’s actually makes more like $6M a year at the state fair. $4.8 in 2018 but grew last year. Insane.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Saw where the nurse at the Wisconsin bar is now self quarantining at home. Really smart person stating she had a 4 year old at home and need to get out with friends. Mother of the Year material.:rolleyes:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Davis Co. cancelled their County Fair this week, along with their 4th of July rodeo and their June celebration, Hairy Nation Days.
Don't get me started about the June celebration name.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Saw where the nurse at the Wisconsin bar is now self quarantining at home. Really smart person stating she had a 4 year old at home and need to get out with friends. Mother of the Year material.:rolleyes:

Yeah she walked back a bit and said she was out to support her sister who worked at or owned the bar.

She couldn't just send her sister some money?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
The more I think about it, the more I think it’ll happen (I disagree with it). Reynolds is opening things up at a quick rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Minnesota State Fair has basically double the attendees as the Iowa State Fair which is insane to me because Iowa's is huge. But thinking of holding the MN State Fair when people from all over the world come in...even if they dialed it back to minimal attendees it just isn't a smart decision to move forward with it. Who wants to be the state that has a massive 2M attended event that causes massive spikes around the country?

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Minnesota State Fair has basically double the attendees as the Iowa State Fair which is insane to me because Iowa's is huge. But thinking of holding the MN State Fair when people from all over the world come in...even if they dialed it back to minimal attendees it just isn't a smart decision to move forward with it. Who wants to be the state that has a massive 2M attended event that causes massive spikes around the country?
People from around the country come to our fair too

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The fairgrounds are larger and the fair lasts for one more day than Iowa's so that accounts for some of the additional people. But it is really crowded on a weekday and ridiculously crowded on a weekend day (I'm including Labor Day as a weekend day). I'm glad they cancelled it.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

Puts a lot of pressure on the ISF board to pull the plug for this year. It may be a difficult decision but it's not like you can wait till the day before to make the decision. When August rolls around and if deaths and cases are down to next to nothing there will be those that throw a fit about the fair not happening. People need to remember the circumstances and info available at the time when the decision had to be made.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The fairgrounds are larger and the fair lasts for one more day than Iowa's so that accounts for some of the additional people. But it is really crowded on a weekday and ridiculously crowded on a weekend day (I'm including Labor Day as a weekend day). I'm glad they cancelled it.

We've lived in MSP for 5 years now and have been a few times. The first time we went, we took our then 2 yr old daughter. We went on a Saturday and made the mistake of staying too long. We were trying to leave as people were flooding in for that night's grand stand concert. It was insane. People jam packed in every direction and we're trying to get out with a stroller. Hard lesson learned.

Also, here's my other experience. I was told I had to try the roasted corn on the cob. You give your money to this guy in a booth about 50 ft from the corn stand. He gives you a ticket. You fight your way through a mob to get to the front. You literally stick your hand out of the crowd with ticket-in-hand. Someone from the stand grabs your ticket and shoves a searing hot cob of corn back into your hand. You fight your way back out of the crowd. I cannot imagine that in the post-COVID environment.

Reactions: BoxsterCy