Will the Iowa State Fair happen this year?

Will the Iowa state fair happen in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 84 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 177 58.0%
  • I will not be going if it does open because of COVID-19

Votes: 44 14.4%

• Total voters

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Thanks for the link, wish the author and everyone would keep politics out of this. I was around 10 years old when this happened but have no recollection. Looked up the Hong Kong flu and it appears the facts are correct, it was a pandemic, 1 million died world wide and under 100,000 died in the U.S. I am not sure why whether it is called the flu or not matters because the way it will be dealt with is via a vaccine. The Hong Kong flu later became part of the normal flu vaccine. I certainly hope that this virus is handled similarly in the future in that it will be like a seasonal flu shot.

Reactions: TruClone

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Thanks for the link, wish the author and everyone would keep politics out of this. I was around 10 years old when this happened but have no recollection. Looked up the Hong Kong flu and it appears the facts are correct, it was a pandemic, 1 million died world wide and under 100,000 died in the U.S. I am not sure why whether it is called the flu or not matters because the way it will be dealt with is via a vaccine. The Hong Kong flu later became part of the normal flu vaccine. I certainly hope that this virus is handled similarly in the future in that it will be like a seasonal flu shot.
Agree, my posting of the link was not meant to be political. Was just showing that a large event was held during a time of an infectious illness. Relating it to this thread about a large event still deciding if it will be held. I appreciate you seeing it for what it was unlike the other butthurt poster who made it seem political.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Cases down, deaths at 9, tests are down, but I see the test Iowa has handled 330k (10% of the pop). Not sure if that is actual tests or if that is people who went through the website.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Agree, my posting of the link was not meant to be political. Was just showing that a large event was held during a time of an infectious illness. Relating it to this thread about a large event still deciding if it will be held. I appreciate you seeing it for what it was unlike the other butthurt poster who made it seem political.

I saw it for what it was, a terrible article based on very few facts that was meant to try to downplay the current situation by comparing it to something that is actually nothing like it at all.

Sincerely,
"Butthurt"

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Cases down, deaths at 9, tests are down, but I see the test Iowa has handled 330k (10% of the pop). Not sure if that is actual tests or if that is people who went through the website.

Its just people who participated in the TestIowa survey. As of now we stand at just over 70,000 tests performed.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Hospitalizations fell for the first time in a long time also.
Edit- 2 days in a row now actually.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Have they had anything like scheduled tune up runs, where you get a chance to go out on the track and check the car on an actual track? Could probably limit things to a couple cars at a time to hold the 10 person limit. I know a track in the local area, was going to dump a load of money into their track to get back to what it was and fix the infield they said. First year promoter, could be a mess for him.

They have been doing practice sessions all along. But they limited it to like 5-8 people per car with no limit on the number of cars. There are some tracks racing tonight with no fans but there will be over 1000 people in the pits. Like I said the races they have recently scheduled for the next couple weekends are high paying races that I don't think they would have scheduled if they weren't going to be allowed to have fans after the May 15 deadline.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Just gonna add it to things I won't do and move on.
Agree, last year I only went because I volunteered to work the ISU booth in the varied industries building. If they have the fair older folks and high risk should not go and i expect fair attendance will be way down.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
What I thought, but was told early in one of the threads that the CDC information wasn’t reliable, it was not trust worthy information. They said it tried to make the virus seem not as severe.

It's really hard to tell what to trust including those organizations.

Trusting the antibody stats so far is also questionable as we don't know how reliable they are, how much immunity there is, etc. Although I'd think as they average out they might be? And if reinfection were that common, wouldn't we have an even worse situation?

Wanting herd immunity (not saying you are, just for those saying 'See? Maybe 5% have had it!') means waiting an awful long time if we have a small percentage that's apparently had it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Let’s hope the end the stats keep in line but

the other thing is with that stat it was only accounting for something like 12k that had the antibody test. I’ll wait until that number goes past a minimum of 200K tested. If our state (Iowa) has any sense they would be ramping up antibody testing to the masses...IMHO if you are wanting to reopen do it but you damn well better have a good grasp on a confirmed number of positive antibody test results.

Yeah and we need to know how reliable those tests are, and how do you find out how long people are protected for, if they are? Have them come back in 4 months?

The person in France that apparently had it in December via blood sample...shouldn't they test him for antibodies, or are they?

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Let’s hope the end the stats keep in line but

the other thing is with that stat it was only accounting for something like 12k that had the antibody test. I’ll wait until that number goes past a minimum of 200K tested. If our state (Iowa) has any sense they would be ramping up antibody testing to the masses...IMHO if you are wanting to reopen do it but you damn well better have a good grasp on a confirmed number of positive antibody test results.

We don't know if these are commercial serology tests or the CDC approved tests. The commercial tests are bunk.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I can’t keep up. Threads I think “duh, gotta be in the politics forum” aren’t...like this one. Please delete my last post if needed mods.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
We don't know if these are commercial serology tests or the CDC approved tests. The commercial tests are bunk.
Great point. States should be focusing on using approved tests period. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Then we need to take 50% of positive results and have them come back every month for retesting.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Maybe I’m salty but Jesus how can we continue to have state and national governments ******* up a basic thing as proper testing?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Don't know if this is the new 'Covid' thread but some positivity:

Nationwide today according to World O Meter site:
Cases: 20, 329.
Deaths: 750.

Both their lowest daily totals since March 29.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Don't know if this is the new 'Covid' thread but some positivity:

Nationwide today according to World O Meter site:
Cases: 20, 329.
Deaths: 750.

Both their lowest daily totals since March 29.

A good move in the right direction but weekends tend to have lower numbers both cases and deaths for whatever reason.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Also:

NOTE: Data for New York today reflects a -147 reduction in the number of probable COVID-19 deaths reported by New York City [today's report] [yesterday's report]. In addition, since New York State's official tally lags behind with respect to our count, some changes reported today elsewhere were already included in yesterday's count on our site. The discrepancy becomes more apparent during a period of declining daily new cases and deaths

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A good move in the right direction but weekends tend to have lower numbers both cases and deaths for whatever reason.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Also:

Yeah I've noticed that, still quite a drop even for a Sunday. This past week didn't have a huge spike in the middle of it like past weeks too. I've assumed those 'spikes' are numbers reported catching up.

Georgia had 900-some today which was an increase but not gigantic...next Friday will be 3 weeks since they reopened.